Is DD missing a beam requirement?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

GasnGoMum

Help! My Level 7 DD has changed her beam routine so many times I am almost too nervous to go to her meets. This last change was a good one...she added her BHS to her BWO. However, she took the other BHS out (her series used to be BWO-BWO, then she did a BHS separately). The Level 7 requirements are a little confusing to me, and she (and I!) are both concerned as to whether she needs to keep the second BHS in, or does her new series fulfill the requirements? Thanks for your help!

GasnGoMum,
It appears, according to your post, that she was missing a required Acrobatic Flight Element, according to the Level 7 requirements. She fulfilled her Acrobatic Series with her Back walkover, Back Handspring. However, the requirements call for One Acrobatic Flight Element. She should have done her other Back Handspring as an isolated element, as she used to do. Does her coach own a JO Code Of Points? If not, I would suggest they buy one. If they do they should thoroughly study the rules. Gymnasts and their parents put in a lot of time and effort to compete. If she leaves out a required Acrobatic Flight Element in her routine she receives a 0.50 deduction. That hurts, especially if she's capable of fulfilling it. I hope this information helps you and her.

Help! My Level 7 DD has changed her beam routine so many times I am almost too nervous to go to her meets. This last change was a good one...she added her BHS to her BWO. However, she took the other BHS out (her series used to be BWO-BWO, then she did a BHS separately). The Level 7 requirements are a little confusing to me, and she (and I!) are both concerned as to whether she needs to keep the second BHS in, or does her new series fulfill the requirements? Thanks for your help!

Connecting her BWO-BHS fulfills her flight requirement. She does not need a seperate BHS. Some gyms do BWO-BWO & then seperate flight, some do BWO-BHS with no extra & some do BWO-BHS as well as a seperate flight. Either way is not wrong, however adding too much to her routine can add deductions if not done to perfection. L7 kept simple scores better. That is probably what her coach is going for - GL to your dd :)

Thanks Ingymmom,
I believe that's the case, so the JO Code Of Points should have specified it better by printing in between the Acrobatic Series requirement and the Acrobatic Flight requirement the words AND/OR instead of just AND. That would make things more clear. Thanks again.

It is confusing, isn't it?

I had a girl do a round off on the beam last year isolated, and then a round off back tuck dismount. I later found out that she didn't need to do the round off in the routine, and that the flight would count going into her dismount.

But yeah, many of my girls perform a bwo bhs or a bhs bwo for their series. Sometimes we leave an isolated flight in for another B, but it is definitely fine to just have a flight series. Gets the requirements filled faster!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back