Parents Is it time to quit?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My heart just aches for both of you:weepy:. My DD just took the last 2 weeks off from gym as she was so stressed about working on giants and felt overwhelmed as she just moved up the beginning of the summer - she will be competing as a novice prep optional in the fall but is now working out with the older girls in the upper levels. She is a perfectionist and is second guessing her ability as well and said she wanted to quit. We have had MANY heartfelt conversations in the last 2 weeks regarding this, and even had a long meeting with her coach this week. I have to say the talk with her coach seemed to help her alot and she is back at practice this week. She admits she still loves the sport. She just has to learn that skills can take YEARS to master and that everyone is different. As long as she is enjoying the sport she is fine, but she should not be comparing herself to everyone else. And of course in a competitive sport such as gymnastics that is not easy:eek: But realistically she has to still have the passion for it. When that is gone, I agree it may be time to move on.

Good luck - I told my daughter that she needed to think long and hard about what SHE wanted to do, not what I wanted or anyone else.

Everyone has been so kind and helpful. Thank you.

Lindsul, my DD has been in girl scouts for 6 years. That has been a great program for her. Thanks.

New turn of events today. She is still doing gymnastics during her free time. Then today, when I was at the gym for my L7 DD, something made me go into the office to ask about my L3/4 DD. I was looking into maybe changing coaches, since the one she has was not doing much for her, but I just asked the receptionist if my DD was moving up, or if she knew anything about it. Like I said before, the co-owner of the gym had mentioned it to me, but I thought she still wasn't ready based on her performance on Monday. The receptionist did a little research, and then said "Yes!" My DD is so pleased. She will start her new level (Pre-level 4) in 2 weeks. She definitely does not want to quit as of now.

MamaofEnS

Awesome news!! I am so happy for her - I am sure this will put a whole new perspective on the upcoming season. This is a perfect opportunity to remind her that all of her hard work and perseverance does pay off:D

Hi All,

I have written about my dd's before, but I am feeling a lot of heartache today. My youngest DD, who has been doing this sport for 8 years, is really struggeling. Earlier this month, everyone in her class moved up except for her. They had only been in her class for months, while she has been there for 2 years. Even the owner of the gym felt that this was terrible, and had her get a free private. They have been telling her that she will move up for months, but she needs to improve her consistency, her vault, and her bhs. Her consistency is terrible. It is almost like there are two different people out there, a good gymnast, and a horrible gymnast. She does not improve in this. In fact, she will lose 5 skills before she gains a new one. She has never had vault, and is getting worse after 8 years of practice. Finally, she did a bhs today, but with a spot, and I don't know if she will get it by herself. Today, she said asked if she should quit. I told her yes, if it wasn't fun anymore. But, she doesn't want to do any other sports, except ice skating, which we don't have a rink nearby, not even in our county. I know many of you drive far for gymnastics, but for a beginner, I'm not ready to make that committment.

However, she is the first one to do handstands, etc, during her free time, and she loves open gym. So, I know she still likes the sport. However, today it was just awful to watch her struggle. Any suggestions?

MamaofEnS

Do they have a PrepOp program. It's less stressfull and they get to choose the skills (depending on level) they will do in their routines.

Thanks for the update! So happy to hear things are working out & she's happy:D! I also think Prep op maybe be a good option if it's available in your area. Always good to have options. Good luck to her & please keep us posted:D!

Update: What is prep op?

Hi all,

I just wanted to update you. She hasn't started her new class yet. She had another hard practice this week, though, but I think she was tired to begin with. Her new class will be in the middle of the week, which I think she will have more energy for.

Regarding prep-op, we do not have that in our area. I have read about it here on the forums, but I don't really know what it is. Could someone please explain the difference between prep-op and the standard program?

MamaofEnS

Prep op varies from state to state and some states don't have it. Basically, its a more relaxed competitive gymnastics program and usually the girls get to make up their own routines rather than do the standard USAG compulsory ones, but again that can vary from state to state. Many prep op programs don't require as much practice time and are less expensive.

Some states have something similar to prep op---more like rec leagues. MDL(Mason Dixon League) is big in Maryland, New Jersey has something simiar as does TX. You would just have to ask around and see if there is anything like this in your state.

Also there is AAU which seems to be more popular in the southeastern US and USAIGC which some moms could tell you about on here. Lots of options out there based on where you live.

My oldest quit after competing level 4 for 2 years, working out all summer with level 5. She has never looked back. Some of the other things she has tried have worked out--volleyball, basketball, and softball. Others have not--hip hop and tennis. My youngest wanted to quit after competing 1 yr level 3 and 1 yr level 4. She is 8 and has been out of gymnastics for 4 months (tumbling only). She is ready to come back to the team. She tried softball this summer and it didn't quit work out for her. Just let her be the decision maker. She may want to try a rec class and do private lessons to keep her more advanced skills for a while. Hang in there. Whatever you decide will work out in the end.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back