WAG Is it time to switch

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
As much as I like my gym, there's also a list of things I hate. *when I'm angry, I don't make sense. Bear with me* Situation: I'm not being pushed or challenged or even corrected depending, even after having a good ol' conversation with my coaches (coach A). I feel the only time I progress is when I teach myself a skill & go "watch this!" Or ask a teamate to correct me. Coach A is the better of the two, but still not great. She is a good coworker though.

Coach B makes me want to tear my hair out, not only as a coach but also a coworker. He's not only says inapporiate things- think four letter words- but also makes comparisions. For example, if someone is struggling he just says they aren't working hard. He shows favourtism- not gonna lie I am a favourite because he likes power gymnasts- but it makes ME uncomfortable and everyone else too. Such as:" X (me) has a flyaway because unlike everyone else, she gives effort!" Not a situation I want to be in. Nobody is corrected, just yelled at for not giving effort which is untrue. We aren't spotted properly, I've been dropped many times, so has my teamates. Definte trust issues.

We also have no HC or owner, just a board of directers aka team parents with no gym/business knowledge.

Equipment issues: We have three beams and only one adjusts. One set of unevens and an ancient vault. Not to mention our floor is four strips wide, probably 20 feet long and just has a layer concrete, layer of foam blocks, plywood and then the floor. Vault runs down the edge of the floor and bars/beam dismounts on to it. I once bailed and landed on my head doing RO-BLO off beam to avoid a rec kid that didn't realize I was going to land on the floor. Fell on to a rec kid while doing BWO-BHS that was waiting in line for bars since beam and bars face each other. She wasn't even really in the way either, just wrong place at the wrong time.

I also only have 12 hrs a week for P3 (level 7/8). That is the max the gym will offer to anyone. I coach more than I train. Which leads me to the sticky situation of: Super awkward coaching there if I decide to switch gyms.

ADVICE? Sorry for a long post, I could keep talking and elaborating forever. Sorry for complaining also, out of carchter for me.

In a word....yes. Ok, sure, there are the coaching issues. But I don't think you even need to worry about that. You are training in an unsafe environment. That is enough reason right there.

You can try to explain that it isn't personal and that you love working there and want to continue...but you have to be prepared to lose the job.

I won't lose my job- the gym can barely manage as it is, it'll be an awkward sitch though! That made me feel better.

The closest gym though, is 1h30 away.

Your post made me feel a little better :)

Nice catch, dunno. Use the "report post" option int he future or PM a mod and we should be able to get it taken care of a bit quicker.

Spam posts deleted.

Carry on.

It's a tricky one, as I guess you've been at the gym quite a while to get to your level, and you have a lot invested in the place if you coach there too, so thinking of moving is a big deal. That doesn't mean it shouldn't happen.

Have there been any changes to make things seem worse, or do you think it has always been this way? Maybe it's the fact that you are working bigger skills and also coaching must make you more aware of safety.

It doesn't sound safe and unfortunately once you start worrying about landing on people you can't possibly focus 100% on what you need to be doing. That's crazy really, and I'm amazed the parents of the rec girl didn't do something about it too. Gymnastics is not something you should to be doing if you don't feel safe.

We moved our daughter (not at the same level) because I had doubts about safety at her old gym. I don't regret it for a second now I see the harder stuff she's working on. The difference is amazing.

My advice would be to go and take a look at the other gym, watch a session, see what you think and if you like it move. If you don't like it then somehow, something needs to be done where you are as it's definitely not fair to be feeling the way you do.

I've been in gymnastics almost 4 years. I've invested an immense amount of time. It's never had the best coaching situation or equipment, but it has definitely gotten worse over the last 6 months.

Switch if it seems the best for you, and don't worry about what your co-worker/coaches think. Sometimes you have to decide the things that are your's.....and your's alone. I think gymnastics, your gymnastics that you do for you, is your's to do with as you will, and the people around you should respect that, or learn to deal with it.

It's a heart and soul kind of thing.......so follow your heart, and feed your soul.

but it's Canada. she said the nearest gym is 1.5 hours away. (dunno shaking head thinking how far that is)

I have former teamates who go there & I'm also getting my driver's license next year, so if things don't improve maybe I could carpool.

Thanks for advice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back