Parents Is it too late to dream about College?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vans2

Proud Parent
We have a lot of girls from our gym who continue their gymnastics career in College so I see this constant reminder that it could be a possibility. I am wondering if it is too late to even consider this for my DD?

She started girls basic 1 in 2013 (yes the class for girls who don't even know how to do a cartwheel). We moved gyms and she tried out for team -- made lvl 3 and started competing in fall of 2014. She just finished lvl 6 and scores 36's at meets. She's 14 and in 8th grade.

So is it too late since she's so old and got a REALLY late start in this sport?

Any wisdom and advice would be more than appreciated!

There are a lot of options for kids in college. Lots of schools have club teams that they can continue their career. I'd love to say it's never too late - but it probably is for D1 scholarship type gymnastics unless she fast tracks. My understanding is that D1 schools want multi year level 10s and are committing kids as young as 8th and 9th grade.

Vans2 -

If your dd's goal is Div I college gymnastics, sadly she is probably out of the prime window. My experience has shown that most, if not all, D1 gymnastics teams want to see an athlete with solid Level 10 skills before they start looking at them seriously. I would even go so far as to say that this applies to both scholarship athletes and walk-on athletes. I don't see how she gets to level 10 by her freshman year from where she is now.

Further, D2 teams would probably also have a preference for a solid Level 10 athlete. Yes, colleges start identifying and making verbal commitments to gymnasts earlier and earlier, but they are just verbals - the athlete still has to be able to gain academic admission to the school.

Let me also put this out there - with any college athletic activity, you need to be very aware of what the expectations of the athlete are. Some schools approach things differently, to include how much money they put into the program to create safe training environments.

Good Luck.

@vans2 I agree with @MeetDirector.

There are 61 Div 1 women's gymnastic programs in the US. Each of those programs has a max total # of headcount scholarships of 12. Meaning, nationwide, there are 732 Div 1 scholarships available (across all 4 years of college, so average 3 scholarships available per program per year). That means any gymnast looking for a scholarship has a chance to get one of ~183 scholarships available for each incoming class of graduates. Many program also have walk-on athletes, but those athletes do not get scholarships and often times do not get to compete either.

Recruiting has become more competitive from even when my gymmie started 6 years ago (now training Level 9). Div 1 programs are looking at Elites from the US and worldwide to recruit (first and foremost), then Hopes/Junior Elites, and then multi-year Level 10s. And there just aren't a lot of spots for gymnasts at Div 1 schools.

When you think about how few scholarships are available, and then think of how each program needs to figure out what they need to build their team (year after year) - not only do you need to be an amazing gymnast with top skills - you also need to be especially good on the events whichever college you are looking at is trying to improve. It doesn't necessarily help to be an awesome beam worker if a program is looking to add stronger bar workers to their roster.

As @twinmomma said, there are lots of ways to continue doing gymnastics in college. But Div 1 is a tough goal for anyone, let alone a gymnast who reaches high school without having reached Level 10.

If she continues her current progress and can get to level 9(or at least strong level 9 on some events), Division 3 is a possibility. At this point focus should also be on academics. She likely won't have enough of a gymnastics resume that could get her into college based on her gymnastics, but if she is an amazing student who can get into any college on her strengths there, she may be able to make a team.

Unfortunately no Division 3 gymnastics in the west, but there are about 15 schools, mostly in Minn, Wisc and the Northeast. Here is the website for the Division 3 programs: http://d3ncga.org/

Also plenty of videos on YouTube of the college teams in Division 3, just search each colleges gymnastics team to get an idea of the competition level. The very best d3 athletes in the nation are level 10's, but a level 9 can make the lineup on many of these teams.

We had a girl who due to injuries competed level 8 for 3 years, competed level nine for two years, and her first year of 10 as a senior. She walked onto a D1 team where she has been very successful. I don't think she'll get a scholarship but she is competing 2 events her sophomore year. Our coach was instrumental in making that happen, though. She has connections and our gym has a decent reputation for level 10, so I guess I'd say a lot would depend on how active your coach would be willing to be in the process.
And she would have to be a level 10 by her senior year, which would mean probably scoring out of 7 and moving to 8 for next year and 9 the year after. It is rare that somebody doesn't have to repeat an optional level. but if she has the talent and the drive, it is a long shot possibility

I've also heard that gymnasts can often get diving scholarships. I even read about one who ended up doing college pole vaulting. There are other options. DD is a T&T'er now and colleges don't have T&T teams, though I have no clue why - it can be amazing to watch. That said - she's offhandedly said if T&T doesn't end up a college sport by the time she's ready she may want to try cheer.

Diving scholarships are not likely. Division I schools recruit from established divers with a proven track record in diving. Many schools with dive teams are Division 3 which do not give out athletic scholarships. However it is apparently fairly easy to be a walk on diver at those schools.

Diving scholarships are not likely. Division I schools recruit from established divers with a proven track record in diving. Many schools with dive teams are Division 3 which do not give out athletic scholarships. However it is apparently fairly easy to be a walk on diver at those schools.
To clarify I didn't mean that a diving scholarship would be given to a gymnast. I'm talking about former gymnasts who make the transition to high school or club diving.

You need to transition early. My DD is a junior who left the sport to take up diving this year. She had a very successful high school season and is now training with a dive club. The head coach has repeatedly told us that she is a very talented diver but too old. He thinks she could walk on to a D III team but is unlikely to get any scholarship money for diving. In order to get scholarships you need to be diving on the national level. If someone is really interested in diving, transistor as soon as possible.

Very good advice already given, but I will add that college club gymnastics (NAICG) might be an option. From the little bit of research I have done, they can compete using level 6, 8, or 9 rules. Each school might be different, but that might be an opportunity to continue competing after high school. The USAG site has a link to a list of current programs. These are generally student run, so I am not sure if there is an official coach. If the school with the club team doesn't have an NCAA team, then the girls workout 2-3 times a week at a local JO club.

I believe there is also another thread on this topic. :)

Agree with all of the above, especially Meet Director and Queen Bee...D1 is for all intents and purposes, off the table, with D2 and 3 in the remote realm, given her level at present. I would seriously consider the club route as your viable option at this point and if she makes it further than that, great. She IS late to the game of college gym where 7th graders are "committing" to college so there's that.

My daughter was on athletic scholarship on a D1 team and she was a multi year Level 10 and it was no walk in the park for her so save yourself the aggravation of trying to "get to Level 10 in 2 years" etc. My daughter knew kids on the club team at her university and she said they seemed to have a lot of fun and the atmosphere was less toxic. My son does a club team at his university and loves it...keeps him in a sport he loves but without the pressures from crazy NCAA coaches. And my youngest ex-gymnast did walk onto a diving team at her university and loves it...the transition to diving didn't have a steep learning curve because she could already flip and twist.. and she even competed this season...so my point is be open to other options than just D1,2 or 3 gymnastics because believe me, it is not the be all end all...there is life beyond gymnastics.

If she continues her current progress and can get to level 9(or at least strong level 9 on some events), Division 3 is a possibility. At this point focus should also be on academics. She likely won't have enough of a gymnastics resume that could get her into college based on her gymnastics, but if she is an amazing student who can get into any college on her strengths there, she may be able to make a team.

Unfortunately no Division 3 gymnastics in the west, but there are about 15 schools, mostly in Minn, Wisc and the Northeast. Here is the website for the Division 3 programs: http://d3ncga.org/

Also plenty of videos on YouTube of the college teams in Division 3, just search each colleges gymnastics team to get an idea of the competition level. The very best d3 athletes in the nation are level 10's, but a level 9 can make the lineup on many of these teams.

We just

Sorry, my iPad won't allow me to correct my error.
What I wanted to say was that we just recently visited a D3 program with my daughter who is a solid level 9, with some 10 skills. We were told by the coach that he now only recruits level 10s, as it has gotten so competitive. In years past, he would have recruited level 9s, but no longer. Also, of course, this is the only program we have looked at, so I'm not sure if other D3 coaches are also recruiting only level 10s.
We were not really surprised, but maybe a tad disappointed. Most likely she will do Club, if she wants to continue on in college.

Sorry, my iPad won't allow me to correct my error.
What I wanted to say was that we just recently visited a D3 program with my daughter who is a solid level 9, with some 10 skills. We were told by the coach that he now only recruits level 10s, as it has gotten so competitive. In years past, he would have recruited level 9s, but no longer. Also, of course, this is the only program we have looked at, so I'm not sure if other D3 coaches are also recruiting only level 10s.
We were not really surprised, but maybe a tad disappointed. Most likely she will do Club, if she wants to continue on in college.
Yes, there is a pretty big range within the D3 schools. Some much stronger than others.

If you went to one of the top D3 programs - Whitewater/Lacrosse/Brockport etc - that regularly qualify and contend at Nationals it wouldn't surprise me for you to have been told that.

OP, I agree with everyone else that it's probably unrealistic at this point with college gymnastics being as crazy competitive as it is. My dd is 11 and L6 and I don't have high hopes for college gymnastics for her in the future. However, I just found out from asking on here that sometimes gymnasts can get on with Acro and Tumbling teams in college as well, I think it's a fairly new program and there are scholarships available as well. My alma mater (a D2 all women's college) just started an acro and tumbling team this year and DD was really excited when I told her about it. There is also a college with an NAIGC team nearby as well. As of right now she is so in love with gymnastics that she can't even think of not being able to do some kind of gymnastics in college, so she knows these might be good options for her. I know this might change as she gets older. We also know a former gymnast that got a full ride for the women's rowing team in college! All of her upper body strength came in handy!

What does walk on mean? I've heard that before, like for a home town kid they gave her a chance and she got a spot as a walk on (she was talking at a meet) but I don't really understand what it is. Is it like you're on the team but don't have a scholarship and maybe don't compete at meets?

OP, I agree with everyone else that it's probably unrealistic at this point with college gymnastics being as crazy competitive as it is. My dd is 11 and L6 and I don't have high hopes for college gymnastics for her in the future. However, I just found out from asking on here that sometimes gymnasts can get on with Acro and Tumbling teams in college as well, I think it's a fairly new program and there are scholarships available as well. My alma mater (a D2 all women's college) just started an acro and tumbling team this year and DD was really excited when I told her about it. There is also a college with an NAIGC team nearby as well. As of right now she is so in love with gymnastics that she can't even think of not being able to do some kind of gymnastics in college, so she knows these might be good options for her. I know this might change as she gets older. We also know a former gymnast that got a full ride for the women's rowing team in college! All of her upper body strength came in handy!

Ooh rowing sounds fun! I think rock climbing sounds fun too

What does walk on mean? I've heard that before, like for a home town kid they gave her a chance and she got a spot as a walk on (she was talking at a meet) but I don't really understand what it is. Is it like you're on the team but don't have a scholarship and maybe don't compete at meets?

Exactly...no scholarship, although some walk ons are offered scholarships later. And no guarantee of competing, but you get to work out with the team, enjoy team perks, etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back