Is it worth it?!?! (close to tears)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a huge problem. I am going into high school and i love gymnastics. I am a level before level 4, so i'm getting ready for level 4. I go 2ice a week and its already almost 300 dollars for 2 days 2 hours 1/2 each.

When i go to high school i want to join the sports, like lacrosse and diving, but it conflicts with my gymnastics which starts at 5 and ends at 7 30. to get in a good college, don't you have to do sports at school? And also gymanstics is washing our familys money away and i cant do any other sports only gymnastics.

Is it worth it to continue gymnastics"? I love gymnastics so much, i love this sport more than anything but to get into a good college and to make friends in high school dont i need to do high school sports??

Please give me your opinion on what to do.
i love gymnastics but i cant do any other sports in high school.
and the prices are getting higher and higher, it's outrageous
:mad::confused: :"(

First with college, they look at not only the extra curricular activities, but also your grades, volunteering, test scores, awards, etc. You can also join clubs that your high school offers. There are a lot of people who get into good colleges without participating in a single sport.

I don't know what to say about the financial situation, its kind of up to your parents i think. I got lucky and didn't do club gymnastics, but participated in high school gymnastics so it wasn't so much of a financial burden. Its apparent that you love the sport, otherwise you wouldn't be on this website :p I really hope that you can continue with gymnastics without having too much trouble. This sport has taught me so much about life and passion :)

Good luck in high school and in gymnastics!

to get in a good college, don't you have to do sports at school?

No.

i love this sport more than anything but to get into a good college and to make friends in high school dont i need to do high school sports?

No.

You're just getting into high school, so I assume that you haven't attended many high school graduations. You will learn as you get older that the best way (and almost the only way) to get into a good college is to get good grades in high school.

As far as making friends goes, you will be making friends just by going to school, but there are also many non-sports opportunities that you should take advantage of such as student government, clubs, music, speech/debate/theater, etc.

I know what I am talking about. I have two kids in college (my son plays soccer and my daughter is a college gymnast). They both have many, many friends who are attending outstanding schools without having participated in high school sports.

I can't give you any advice as to whether you should stay in gymnastics because that is a personal and financial decision between you and your parents. Good luck and try and enjoy your high school experience. It will possibly be the best time of your life up to that point.

Like others have said. The best way to get into college and especially with some sort of aid/grant is through good grades and through reputable academic activities outside of classes. Extracurricular non-academic activities such as sports and music help but they are only important for those couldn't get in or receive needed aids with grades alone.

As for the expenses, are there other gyms nearby that offer non-USAG training (like some Ys)? Those tend to run a lot cheaper in tuition.

Best of luck to you.

No.

No.

You're just getting into high school, so I assume that you haven't attended many high school graduations. You will learn as you get older that the best way (and almost the only way) to get into a good college is to get good grades in high school.

As far as making friends goes, you will be making friends just by going to school, but there are also many non-sports opportunities that you should take advantage of such as student government, clubs, music, speech/debate/theater, etc.

I know what I am talking about. I have two kids in college (my son plays soccer and my daughter is a college gymnast). They both have many, many friends who are attending outstanding schools without having participated in high school sports.

I can't give you any advice as to whether you should stay in gymnastics because that is a personal and financial decision between you and your parents. Good luck and try and enjoy your high school experience. It will possibly be the best time of your life up to that point.

I agree

you don't need sports to get into a good college you need good grades more than anything. If you have time to be in someother school activitiy (sports, academic clubs, social clubs etc) offered at school then it is a plus but not required. After grades they are looking for a well rounded person. Someone whos not all about grades but has other interests as well. That usuallyl come more into play when it gets down to the "should we choose this person or this person"

Things like Being active in your church groups is looked at. Alot of colleges look for kids who have things like being an Eagle Scout for boys or Having your Gold Award from Girl Scouts for girls. Did you volunteer in the community etc.

When I was going to college many years ago I had the grades but I did dance not sports. I did what was called Red Cross Club which was a club that did social service like serving at soup kitchens

if gymnastics is what you love you should stick with it =)

Grades and a variety of extra activities are what colleges look at...and that little ACT or SAT depending on where you live. A stress on the variety of activities though music volunteering and sports are important, its not just sports or just music, colleges like to see that you are well rounded.

so just know that you do not necessarily need to do "other sports" to get into college, if you want to continue doing gymnastics stick it out =)

Best of luck with whatever you choose!

What about looking at gymnastics in high school?? You'd be with kids your own age and be able to do other sports as well. And HS gymnastics is not as expensive as club gymnastics (though most schools expect you to take classes outside of the regular season)

What about looking at gymnastics in high school?? You'd be with kids your own age and be able to do other sports as well. And HS gymnastics is not as expensive as club gymnastics (though most schools expect you to take classes outside of the regular season)
Definitely worth looking into. But, I think school gymnastics offering isn't all that common in most areas -- definitely true in our state.

First with college, they look at not only the extra curricular activities, but also your grades, volunteering, test scores, awards, etc. You can also join clubs that your high school offers. There are a lot of people who get into good colleges without participating in a single sport.

I don't know what to say about the financial situation, its kind of up to your parents i think. I got lucky and didn't do club gymnastics, but participated in high school gymnastics so it wasn't so much of a financial burden. Its apparent that you love the sport, otherwise you wouldn't be on this website :p I really hope that you can continue with gymnastics without having too much trouble. This sport has taught me so much about life and passion :)

Good luck in high school and in gymnastics!
Hey I am in 9th grade USAIGC Bronze (level 5 skills) and I love gymnastics more than anything in the world! I was going to drop it this year but my mom convinced me to keep it. I thought I would have to do USAIGC Copper again (Levels 3/4 skills) but I worked realllly hard and I made it to Bronze and qualified for State! Gymnastics is an awesome sport and it makes you realize that anything is possible with hard work and dedication! I have gotten so much out of the sport and am sooooo glad I didn't quit! Gymnastics is the best part of my day!

Also, you don't have to do school sports to get into a good college. In order to graduate from high school, you might need some PE credit, which you can fulfil through SCHOOL team sports (stupid rule in my opinion...I should get credit!! I do 12-15 hours per week, more than most people) but I'm just doing PE. I love gymnastics so so much and High School would be awful without it!

Basically colleges want to see one thing that you do consistently, and I'm going to make that gymnastics for me. I only started 2 years ago and will probably only reach about USAIGC Silver (about Level 7) if I'm lucky, but If I continue it for the rest of high school (6 years), that will look good on my record.

So...yeah I think you should do it! Getting new skills is the best feeling in the world, and feeling part of a team is also amazing. The gym basically is like you second home.

Good luck deciding!

You definitely do not need high school sports to get into college or to make friends. I did high school gymnastics my freshman year, did not make friends with the girls on the team, and I doubt it made much of an impression on my application. My friends came from other places and I seemed to manage. My brother was a high level swimmer and did not participate in school sponsored sports throughout high school, he still got into college, earned a scholarship, and had plenty of friends and an outside social life.
I only did gymnastics up until 10th grade, but throughout high school I participated in a few clubs that met during the school day (well, before school started) and did some of the activities during the day (lunch breaks, study halls, etc). So even if you stick with gymnastics, I think there will probably be some activity that can fit into your schedule.
If you love gymnastics and your family can afford it, stick with it. You could also look into high school gymnastics, USAIGC, prep-op, AAU, or other similar programs that might involve fewer hours and a lower cost.

i am also in high school. i got to gym 3 days a week for 3 hours each day. i do school sports too.. im a cheerleader, i did track. so i definately think you could do both. maybe you should talk to the coaches of the school sports and explain to the whats going on. give it a try and see what happens.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back