WAG Is Kerry Perry Doing A Good Job Running USA Gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is Kerry Perry doing a good job running USA Gymnastics?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • No

Votes: 55 98.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
She took over a disaster, so was ready to give her plenty of room to try to fix the mess. But she has done a spectacularly horrible job of listening to the voices and concerns of the current national team athletes and their coaches. I realize the business of USAG must stay afloat to support the training and travel of the national team, but it costs NOTHING, does not affect the bottom line in any way, to listen and communicate.

Your first sentence pretty much sums it up in a nutshell....she inherited a disaster , and wasn't a gymnastics person to begin with so I don't think she was all that familiar with gym culture in general so as bad as she's been , I feel like she was set up to fail because almost anyone in her spot was goung to have a difficult time righting this ship...and it was likely that there would be several more casualties from the disaster, so why not someone with no investment in the sport? She has a business background so maybe the powers that were in place at the time thought a business person was the best fit to fix this mess but clearly that hasn't happened....

I think Perry has been a place holder for someone USAG would really want in that position after they get rid of her and the next person comes in and can hopefully move the sport ahead, while she and her predecessors will be heaped with all the blame. It's like it will give USAG a clean slate after she's gone. I know this sounds all dark and dour but I don't know how else to explain the actions of USAG.

She made a critical mistake by not surrounding herself with knowledgeable people who could help educate and guide her on the sport. It does not seem like she has made any positive alliances with veterans who KNOW anything, and it seems like she dismisses anyone who has been around gymnastics deeming them 'tainted'.........
What I want to know is where all these good people are, and when they are forming the NEW future for the athletes........cuz this USAG situation ain't getting it.

Your first sentence pretty much sums it up in a nutshell....she inherited a disaster , and wasn't a gymnastics person to begin with so I don't think she was all that familiar with gym culture in general so as bad as she's been , I feel like she was set up to fail because almost anyone in her spot was goung to have a difficult time righting this ship...and it was likely that there would be several more casualties from the disaster, so why not someone with no investment in the sport? She has a business background so maybe the powers that were in place at the time thought a business person was the best fit to fix this mess but clearly that hasn't happened....

I think Perry has been a place holder for someone USAG would really want in that position after they get rid of her and the next person comes in and can hopefully move the sport ahead, while she and her predecessors will be heaped with all the blame. It's like it will give USAG a clean slate after she's gone. I know this sounds all dark and dour but I don't know how else to explain the actions of USAG.

I totally agree. And it's possible that she knows this, to some extent. A sacrificial lamb if you will.

who is "They"/"USAG" - I think in most corporate arrangement, only people that can get rid of CEO is the board of director and did't she have a hand in appointing most of the current/interim board members?

interim board/independent director bio at the bottom- not many "gymnastics" people

https://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=21379&prog=h

who is "They"/"USAG" - I think in most corporate arrangement, only people that can get rid of CEO is the board of director and did't she have a hand in appointing most of the current/interim board members?

interim board/independent director bio at the bottom- not many "gymnastics" people

https://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=21379&prog=h

Well she didn't hire herself...that why I said "the powers that were in place at the time" ...

Is it just me, or was her testimony before Congress essentially usless?

"I don't know, I wasn't there" "I wasn't there, I would have to look into it"

Lady, you've had 6 months on the job... one would think you would've done your homework before testifying in front of a congressional subcommittee .

And she wouldn't talk to reporters at all. Go ahead Kerry... hide... we can still see that you aren't doing anything to markedly improve the situation at USAG. If you don't know--research in detail--what caused all of the issues that let the cancer spread, how are you supposed to fix it and prevent it from happening again?

Is it just me, or was her testimony before Congress essentially usless?

"I don't know, I wasn't there" "I wasn't there, I would have to look into it"

Lady, you've had 6 months on the job... one would think you would've done your homework before testifying in front of a congressional subcommittee .

And she wouldn't talk to reporters at all. Go ahead Kerry... hide... we can still see that you aren't doing anything to markedly improve the situation at USAG. If you don't know--research in detail--what caused all of the issues that let the cancer spread, how are you supposed to fix it and prevent it from happening again?
I totally agree. I understand that she was brought in after everything went down and obviously wasn't involved in the sport before 2017, but isn't the point of her attending things like this that she'd speak on behalf of USAG? And theoretically I would think that would involve having extensive knowledge about past failings in addition to current measures so she could actually say something substantive instead of answering every question with the same list of current accomplishments and a denial that she knows anything about what happened before she started in the job.

Also-- does anyone know anything about this athlete task force she kept talking about? Have athletes actually been appointed to it, or is it something they're planning on creating? She kept making it sound like it was an established, functioning thing already, but I hadn't heard anything about it.

I wonder if pending litigation kept her from addressing the past. If she admits any wrongdoing on USAG’s behalf at a congressional hearing, they wouldn’t have a leg to stand on with the current lawsuits.

I don’t believe for a second that after having been there for 6 months that she doesn’t know how USAG contributed to the Nassar abuse.

I wonder if pending litigation kept her from addressing the past. If she admits any wrongdoing on USAG’s behalf at a congressional hearing, they wouldn’t have a leg to stand on with the current lawsuits.

I don’t believe for a second that after having been there for 6 months that she doesn’t know how USAG contributed to the Nassar abuse.

Exactly.
She is in an extremely tough spot. She took on a beast of a mess. And she first and foremost was hired to do what is best for the organization - and beneath that duty falls the duty of doing what is best for gym owners, athletes, parents etc (although we all would hope and wish that those were priorities #1 - they're not).
If the USAG is going to survive litigation - they cannot have the leaders within the organization coming forth and admitting guilt. - they need to do the best damage control they can with the options they have available to them at the moment.

I cannot comment if she is doing a 'good job' or not. But from a legal standpoint - I think @TumbleTimes4 nailed it on the head.

Exactly.
She is in an extremely tough spot. She took on a beast of a mess. And she first and foremost was hired to do what is best for the organization - and beneath that duty falls the duty of doing what is best for gym owners, athletes, parents etc (although we all would hope and wish that those were priorities #1 - they're not).
If the USAG is going to survive litigation - they cannot have the leaders within the organization coming forth and admitting guilt. - they need to do the best damage control they can with the options they have available to them at the moment.

I cannot comment if she is doing a 'good job' or not. But from a legal standpoint - I think @TumbleTimes4 nailed it on the head.
she is in a tough spot, but make no mistake, she is at odds with the community and MANY of the people in USAG. they are not happy with her.

she is in a tough spot, but make no mistake, she is at odds with the community and MANY of the people in USAG. they are not happy with her.

I don't disagree. However, I only have pieces of the story & the pieces I have are public knowledge.
I don't know what is being discussed and strategized behind closed doors.

Would you say that she is at odds precisely BECAUSE of what @tucktwisttumble said above? Are the expectations of the "community" more than what she can legally meet? If that is the case then it seems to me that it doesn't matter WHO is in that position, it's the position itself that is at odds with the community. Maybe I'm off. Maybe she's just a rude person and personal interactions have been less than desired, even if she can't say much of anything. I don't know. I just keep seeing people all mad that she's not saying what they want her to say, and yet we KNOW why she can't.

Would you say that she is at odds precisely BECAUSE of what @tucktwisttumble said above? Are the expectations of the "community" more than what she can legally meet? If that is the case then it seems to me that it doesn't matter WHO is in that position, it's the position itself that is at odds with the community. Maybe I'm off. Maybe she's just a rude person and personal interactions have been less than desired, even if she can't say much of anything. I don't know. I just keep seeing people all mad that she's not saying what they want her to say, and yet we KNOW why she can't.
She is at odds with the community and many in USAG because she absolutely does not take the kids into consideration. Like not even a little. She is running a business and that just doesn't fly when the business is about kids. As far as personal communication, she doesn't reply even to very high up coaches , she doesn't listen or seem to care.

She is at odds with the community and many in USAG because she absolutely does not take the kids into consideration. Like not even a little. She is running a business and that just doesn't fly when the business is about kids. As far as personal communication, she doesn't reply even to very high up coaches , she doesn't listen or seem to care.
Everyone feel free to email her , let me know if you actually get a reply .

But it's more than that. Take the recently firing of Rhonda in the middle of the first national team camp in months. Even if saving the business of USAG must be her first priority, from a business saving perspective there was no reason that decision couldn't have come down a day or two earlier or later. There was no consideration by her what impact that would have on the athletes. She has a complete disregard for the current community of elite athletes and coaches, it's as if they never even enter her thought process.

But it's more than that. Take the recently firing of Rhonda in the middle of the first national team camp in months. Even if saving the business of USAG must be her first priority, from a business saving perspective there was no reason that decision couldn't have come down a day or two earlier or later. There was no consideration by her what impact that would have on the athletes. She has a complete disregard for the current community of elite athletes and coaches, it's as if they never even enter her thought process.
Add on that nationals will absolutely be held a week later next year which is the first week of finals for hundreds of level 10's next year , not to mention it creates a 5 week gap between regionals and nationals !!!! 4 weeks is way way to long ... she could care less . And yes a gym 100 percent offered to host nationals, they said no. Claiming the contract was already signed for the venue, (which can easily be broken for a fee). Bottom line is USAG has 100 percent picked making money off nationals above what is best for the kids. Oh and they won't let us change regionals either. Get ready , gather your forces , tell your coaches , tell your parents , we are going to arrange a massive email flood and phone call party for Kerry.

Add on that nationals will absolutely be held a week later next year which is the first week of finals for hundreds of level 10's next year , not to mention it creates a 5 week gap between regionals and nationals !!!! 4 weeks is way way to long ... she could care less . And yes a gym 100 percent offered to host nationals, they said no. Claiming the contract was already signed for the venue, (which can easily be broken for a fee). Bottom line is USAG has 100 percent picked making money off nationals above what is best for the kids. Oh and they won't let us change regionals either. Get ready , gather your forces , tell your coaches , tell your parents , we are going to arrange a massive email flood and phone call party for Kerry.

I get that this is a change for WAG...but on the MAG side, this has been happening every year. It was 5 weeks between Regionals and Nationals this year, and 6!! Weeks last year.

I get that this is a change for WAG...but on the MAG side, this has been happening every year. It was 5 weeks between Regionals and Nationals this year, and 6!! Weeks last year.
I thinks it's more about the way and why it was changed, unilaterally by USAG so they could host it. Others were willing to host on the usual timeline. The venue USAG wants to use to host wasn't available 4 weeks after Regionals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back