Coaches is level 1 useful ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JanetheCoach

Coach
Proud Parent
At my gym we have recently gone through a lot changes. One of those big changes is I have been made the head of the pre-team and Compulsory kids. As i'm trying to revamp our program and make it the best it can be I am wondering if level 1 is a useful level. In the past we just started kids out at level 2 since the old head coach didn't like level 1, but as my coaching partner and I have been talking we ere trying to figure out if level 1 is a useful level and whether we should add it to our competitive program. any thought would be greatly appreciated.

Is it very big in your area.
Around here, Level 3 is where most gyms start competing. Level 2 is rare. Level 1 is unheard of.

For reference: At YMCA Nationals this year, only 6 teams are sending Level 1 gymnasts. 33 teams are sending Level 2 gymnasts.
Level 1 teams are coming from Wisconsin (5 teams) and Massachusetts (1 team).

I think leve 1 is very useful as a training tool, but competing level 1 is a different story. Spending a year competing very basic skills can really slow a gymnast down, when she is at a time where skill learning should be paramount.

I would say Xcel bronze might be a better alternative. They can focus on the basics, while putting in upgrades when they are ready.

And not competing also possible, leaves much more time for them to uptrain.

If you are going to compete, look for meets with achievement division. Meaning they wont get medals with places, but ribbons with a color. It keeps it fun and the pressure low.

Thanks so much for all the replies what i'm getting is great training tool, but competing is another story, thanks for all the input, i'm new to having to make these kind of decisions and its really nice have input from so many different perspectives.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back