Parents Is no meet preparation ok?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gotgym

Coach/Proud Parent
Coach
Proud Parent
Why is this ok?? I see many parents concerns and questions here and wonder how some would feel about this. I dont advocate complaining but to me this is a big concern.
I took 1 level 6 to a meet yesterday to score out.( She actually won the All around) The session included levels 4-6. There was one team there that their kids did not know the routines. The first time I watched I thought the poor girl forgot. But after more girls went and the coach standing along side doing it with them I realized none of their team with maybe an exception of 2 kids knew what they were doing. The judges were shaking their heads and the other coaches looked on commenting. One of this teams coaches even commented they just started practicing routines last week and she didnt want to represent this team at meets. Let me explain this is a gymnastics club that does plenty of advertising of their ELITE coach and staff. It seemed very upsetting for some of the kids and my heart went out to some of those little ones. As a parent would this be acceptable to you?

In a word no.

That is disrespectful to the judges, a waste of parents money and a terribly embarrassing thing for little girls to have to endure.

My kid would be out of there, and fast.

A child should not be taken to a meet without knowing the routine alone. It takes some time to learn a compulsory routine well, even longer then an optional one as every movement is scrutinized.

I imagine there will be a lot of very angry parents asking questions at that gym.

In a word no.

That is disrespectful to the judges, a waste of parents money and a terribly embarrassing thing for little girls to have to endure.

I have to agree with Bog on this. Our girls are still working skills and have just started working some of their floor routines....but our first meet isn't until mid December. At our team meeting, I spoke to one of the coaches and asked when they would be starting working routines and she told me that they would be working skills as long as they could. Once they start routines, that is all they do for the remainder of the competitive season.

Our states aren't until June, so they will be working routines for around 7 months once they make the switch. To that end, a meet in October would be out of the question. Sounds like they shouldn't have been at the meet, but it is all about getting ready for L4,5 & 6 states isn't it? Maybe they had to take the meet for one reason or another and weren't able to start routines earlier because the girls were behind on skills. Without knowing all the particulars, it's hard to make a judgment one way or the other.

That is very sad for the kids gotgym.... I know the meet you are talking about, but wondering was this the host gym that had the problem?

Last season, same gym different meet (end of season) I watched this happen with an entire team of L5's and was heart broken for them. Mind you this was even end of the season... They all just went through the motions, trying to remember & made up portions of it. They were all so upset. It was very sad. This is why even though I don't agree with parents questioning their gymmies coaches once they choose them for their child - I still think it is important for parents to be aware and educated on the sport.

BTW, Congrats to your gymmie for winning her L6 and scoring out!

That is awful! That kind of situation does no good for anyone involved. It's hard to say what the reasoning was behind this, or whose plan this was, but I feel bad for the kids, and the coach.

It was just so sad to me. At one point a little girl happenned to catch my eye on the beam as she tried to look straight ahead instead of down on the floor where her coach was calling things out. I did the next few movements for her. One of the other coaches laughed at me and I just said shes about 6 c'mon.! I guess its just the mom in me.

Thanks ingym

That would bother me. My DD will be competing in a week at her first competition and I am upset that they haven't been doing routines enough. My DD knows them all, though I am sure she could use some small corrections here and there. I am so nervous for her. I have even told her that she can back out of this competition if she doesn't feel she is ready, but she says she feels ready. She practice the routines at home sometimes, but I have no idea what to look for, so who knows if she is doing it right. Looks perfect to me, but I am her mama. LOL.

She is having a private this week, well a semi-private with her and her teammate that will also be competing for the first time. Hopefully that will help and we are just hoping she hits her routines and skills and has a good time.

How sad for those girls! That is a shame that the coaches/gym would embarrass the kids, and themselves like that! My DD's have competed not having a certain skill, but they would not go out not knowing the routine!

Sorry mariposamomma I didnt mean to stress you out. I am sure your dd will do fine. Just that you are aware and shes practicing and even getting a private shows that you have some knowledge and concern of whats going on. I just couldnt understand any parent being ok with this just to see their child in a competition or any coach thinking this would be ok for a kids self esteem.
Dont be nervous she will feed off of you. Relax she may be more prepared than you think. Good Luck!!

gotgym- no worries. she is not nervous at all. she loves to perform in front of a crowd. :) i hate to be in front of a crowd, so i am a nervous wreck just thinking about the meet. i doubt i will get any sleep that night. i was always the same at my competitions in HS. LOL.

she did great in the mock meet last month, but she didn't do beam. her scores weren't great, but i am not worried about her scores. i just want her to have a good time and feel she did her best.

That makes me incredibly sad. As a parent I would be at another gym ASAP. How terrible to do that to kids. I cannot imagine putting kids into that situation. If I was that coach that was sent - I would be looking for a new gym too !!

This is definitely not ok

OMG! That is just so sad. It's hard enough just being out there sometimes, but to go out there and try to make the best of what you know because your coach makes you is so wrong! I really don't know how the gymnastics chain of command works, but wouldn't a meet director or the judges be able to complain to an official or even speak directly to the coach at the meet? I would think the parents would even be upset enough to band together and confront the coach or owner of that gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back