Parents Is strength a deal breaker?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello! I've really appreciated all the insight I've gotten from these forums as a fairly new parent to the sport. My daughter is almost 6 and is on a pre comp team (4 hrs/week). She is crazy flexible but has always struggled with upper body strength (I blame my genes). Took her longer than the other girls to get her pullover, slowest on the rope, etc. They've started doing more and more conditioning and it's becoming even more obvious and she gets extremely down on herself when she can't do things as well as the other girls (she's VERY competitive and it's heartbreaking). She's the youngest in her group, which probably doesn't help. I was going to ask the coach if she can maybe suggest exercises we can do at home but I'm always wondering if it's worth trying so hard if her lack of strength will always get in her way. They selected her for this team so I'm assuming they see something in her but I would love if they'd be honest and just say, look she's great but she can only go so far with those pipsqueak arms lol. I was a competitive athlete in another sport so I know what it takes and I'm happy to put in the time/money/etc if it's the right sport for her but at some point is it possible that a kid just isn't built for this? Thanks so much in advance for any advice.

yes.

I think certain strengths come with age as well. DD is a 2nd year L3, training L4...and while her upper body strength has always come natural to her, she was definitely on the scrawny side last year. Now that she is a year older, coupled with a gym change and different conditioning, she's visually more muscular and has more control of her strength and her body.
So to answer your question, strength is definitely a deal breaker, but she's still so young that it isn't an issue just yet. It will come with time and practice.

it's really a combination of fast muscle twitch and the ability to translate that in to power. it's not strong as in weightlifting a million pounds. it's a matter of moving your weight a million miles an hour. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back