WAG is there a judge on here who can take a look at lvl 6 floor?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

e'smum

Proud Parent
we love dd's routine. it was chore'd by a gymnast who did a bid for a spot on the olympic team a while back. now she's qualified to judge up to level 10. it's a great routine. but dd consistently gets the lowest scores on floor in her meets. and on her team. she's mainly upper 8s but has gotten 2 low 9s (and still didn't place on 1 of those 9s). i feel like it's missing something.

we know she needs to up her tumbling a bit and her split leap isn't quite 180 (her back leg has a slight angle to it). she does get a 10 sv each time so i'm not sure what is going on.

i have an email in to the choreographer (who comes in and coaches most tuesdays on floor) to set up a couple of tune ups but i would really like someone out here to take a look at it as well. the more eyes and opinions, the better.

if anyone can take a look, i'll pm you the video. i'd rather not just put it out here.

thank you!

I saw an awesome floor routine that I felt should have scored higher than it did (a kid I didn't know). Once I thought about it I settled in that it had too much stuff in it. She had 3 passes - RO/BHS/BLO, RO/BHS/BT, and FHS/FT. I think she just got extra deductions because there was too much there. And now that I think about it I wonder if it was too long too.

Does it have more "stuff" in it than her teammates? Extra skills?

no. she has the bare minimum. a couple of her teammates have the FT FT in their pass but other than that all FT. mine does ROBT b/c her ROBL isn't as good. it's split 50/50 on who has which in their routines. mine almost has her full and 1/2 and has done her full on floor with a mat so i'm disappointed they haven't encouraged her to do that more during practice and get that in there.

i don't think her split leap is the full height but she is on the other side of the floor and i can't get a good video of it. if that isn't full height, how much of a deduction is that? but a lot of the girls on her team have issues with that. i just don't know what it is.

last year in 4 she got all 9s and was more a 9.2-9.3 on floor medaling every time. her leap pass was gorgeous with her lines. so i'm not sure what's up. i'm waiting to hear back from our choreographer. b/c she's a judge too, i'm going to have dd do the routine once in front of her while she judges and go from there. we already had to change the beginning of it b/c she fell out of it once and that was why she didn't get a 9 that time. so i would have thought with the change her scores would be higher. i'm not looking for 10's. i just want her scoring the same as her teammates.

If it gets a 10.0 start value, she isn't missing anything. It is just a matter of being clean. Harder routines do not get bonus points. The winning L6 floor routine at our meet yesterday with a 9.6 had a RO2BHS and a FT. Her B skill was a cat leap full. Her entire routine was about 45 seconds long.

On paper, a clean routine that meets the requirements should be scoring the same as similar routines. However, judges are human and things like presentation and how the kid "sells" the routine, sometimes even just the style of the routine itself can make a difference. Likely no more than a .1 or so, but it all matters.
Work with the choreographer and just have her keep working at it, it takes some kids longer to be comfortable enough with their routine to really perform it.

Honestly, it is likely just that optional has a whole new set of requirements. Compulsory can be harder because you have to hit all the specific moves so it seems that optional will be such a relief after that, but optional brings in a whole new set of deductions and things get a whole lot more complicated.

For example, the split leap. In compulsory if you hit the required angle and your hands and head are correct and your lines are good there will be minimum deduction. In optional there are deductions for every degree off of 180 you are and another deduction if one leg is higher than the other and another for how high the leap is (amplitude adds up fast in optionals).

There are deductions for every bent knee and flexed foot, deductions for poor foot placement, dynamics, artistry, hitting with the music, ending with the music.

If her tumbling isn't as high or powerful as the judges like to see, big deductions. There is steps and chest positions on landing and specific skills have certain requirements like turns are a huge place for deductions. They stop the turn when the support leg drops to a certain point and they deduct a lot if they don't get all the way around, more deduction if they fall out or don't control the exit from the turn.

I have also noticed that judges like routines where the movements are sharp and clean and every movement is finished. And big tumbling of course will win every time.

The point is it is just hard to tell a lot of times. I am not a judge but a serious student of the code and would be happy to look at your dds routine to see what stands out if you think that might help.

Just for the record, sometimes it can be something off with the choreography or a little thing that just hasn't been noticed before. My dd is a level 9 and this is her second year using this routine with tweaks this year to accommodate her new passes and upgrades and such. It has beautiful choreography, people always tell me how gorgeous her routine is after she finishes and her tumbling and leaps are clean, but not huge as she is just not a power gymnast and is somewhat small. It is coming along for sure, but a power tumbler she is not. Anyway. She always scores lower than anyone thinks, her score always surprise everyone. Why so low? Her coaches couldn't figure it out and just told her not to worry about it. She was super frustrated.

Fast forward to the first time she ran her routine for her new floor coach (long story) and bam! She was like, what is that? To this one little hop thing she does before her leap pass. What was supposed to be just a choreography piece looked enough like a skill that she predicted they were likely taking .3 in deductions for it every time. Crazy!

Anyway, my point is that sometimes it is something big, sometimes it is lots of small things and sometimes it is something no one even noticed. Just tell her to keep working on getting better at her tumbling and dance elements, listen to her coaches and the corrections they give her and really work hard at cleaning up all the details.

And just be proud of her, optional is a huge accomplishment all its own. Just gets harder from here and a whole lot of crazy fun. Enjoy the journey. Good luck to her this season!

Fast forward to the first time she ran her routine for her new floor coach (long story) and bam! She was like, what is that? To this one little hop thing she does before her leap pass. What was supposed to be just a choreography piece looked enough like a skill that she predicted they were likely taking .3 in deductions for it every time. Crazy!
That's very true! We have an older team girl who does a large step/leap type thing at the end of her floor routine- come to find out judges were crediting as a split leap and giving some major angle deductions. She also did a turn step on 1 foot that some judges were calling a 1/1 turn and deducting because it was not completed. So do make sure she's not doing something that could be interpreted as a skill, even if it's not intended that way.
I have a few with sissones built into their choreo and took most of them out because I knew they would land .2ish in deductions- for an unnecessary element!

Honestly, it is likely just that optional has a whole new set of requirements. Compulsory can be harder because you have to hit all the specific moves so it seems that optional will be such a relief after that, but optional brings in a whole new set of deductions and things get a whole lot more complicated.

For example, the split leap. In compulsory if you hit the required angle and your hands and head are correct and your lines are good there will be minimum deduction. In optional there are deductions for every degree off of 180 you are and another deduction if one leg is higher than the other and another for how high the leap is (amplitude adds up fast in optionals).

There are deductions for every bent knee and flexed foot, deductions for poor foot placement, dynamics, artistry, hitting with the music, ending with the music.

If her tumbling isn't as high or powerful as the judges like to see, big deductions. There is steps and chest positions on landing and specific skills have certain requirements like turns are a huge place for deductions. They stop the turn when the support leg drops to a certain point and they deduct a lot if they don't get all the way around, more deduction if they fall out or don't control the exit from the turn.

I have also noticed that judges like routines where the movements are sharp and clean and every movement is finished. And big tumbling of course will win every time.

The point is it is just hard to tell a lot of times. I am not a judge but a serious student of the code and would be happy to look at your dds routine to see what stands out if you think that might help.

Just for the record, sometimes it can be something off with the choreography or a little thing that just hasn't been noticed before. My dd is a level 9 and this is her second year using this routine with tweaks this year to accommodate her new passes and upgrades and such. It has beautiful choreography, people always tell me how gorgeous her routine is after she finishes and her tumbling and leaps are clean, but not huge as she is just not a power gymnast and is somewhat small. It is coming along for sure, but a power tumbler she is not. Anyway. She always scores lower than anyone thinks, her score always surprise everyone. Why so low? Her coaches couldn't figure it out and just told her not to worry about it. She was super frustrated.

Anyway, my point is that sometimes it is something big, sometimes it is lots of small things and sometimes it is something no one even noticed. Just tell her to keep working on getting better at her tumbling and dance elements, listen to her coaches and the corrections they give her and really work hard at cleaning up all the details.

And just be proud of her, optional is a huge accomplishment all its own. Just gets harder from here and a whole lot of crazy fun. Enjoy the journey. Good luck to her this season!

Thank you for taking the time to write all of this! I know she's getting some major deductions on that split leap. Unfortunately, she's jumping away from me so you can't really see it. But I do know it's an issue. lol. I just don't know how much of an issue. I'll PM you her routine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back