WAG Is there a reason to do HS BHS vs BWO BHS?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ReluctantGymMom

Proud Parent
Just out of curiosity! At one of our gym locations everyone is training BWO BHS for series, at another they’re all training HS BHS. Mine will do either HS BHS or BHS BHS, she doesn’t do BWO so literally just curious on gym philosophies?

Is there a reason why some coaches would choose one series over another for all their gymnasts unless there’s a specific reason to change the series (mine would be the only one doing HS for example)?

Just out of curiosity! At one of our gym locations everyone is training BWO BHS for series, at another they’re all training HS BHS. Mine will do either HS BHS or BHS BHS, she doesn’t do BWO so literally just curious on gym philosophies?

Is there a reason why some coaches would choose one series over another for all their gymnasts unless there’s a specific reason to change the series (mine would be the only one doing HS for example)?
I could understand doing handstand bhs instead of bwo bhs if a kid had a sensitive back and didn’t tolerate backwalkovers well. Im also guessing hs bhs are a little easier to connect for some kids than bwo bhs since it’s less that has to be controlled. I’ve wondered the same thing, though, so I’ll be interested to see what others have to say!

My daughter just finished her level 7 season, backwalkover-bhs is the standard series for our gym, however my daughters back walkovers are always crooked, and super inconsistent, so a couple weeks before season they had her switch to handstand - bhs.

She’s working bhs-bhs & flick-lay now and both are much more consistent than her backwalkovers are, she still complains about them on basics days.

The bwo is more traditional. Kids usually learn the bwo first. Then the bwo bwo series and the Bhs on it’s own, followed by bhs bhs, and then bhs blo.

But bwo can be very hard in the back, especially during puberty years. Many kids these days already have postural problems which effect the back, mix that with a lot of bwo’s and you can end up with a lot of back problems - pain, shifted disks, stress fractures etc.

The HS BHS is a lot easier on the back.

Handstand/BHS can feel easier/be easier, as a handstand is a Level 3 skill and a BWO is level 5. I suppose less momentum makes it feel safer. As others have said back walkovers can be hard on the back.

On the other hand, a handstand/bhs connection can sometimes not be given connection if the handstand is not held. A back walkover, though while not required on beam ever, is a useful skill. If you don't have a flight skill in level 6 or a series in level 7, throw in two BWOs! The BWO does have more momentum, which might feel more like BHS/BHS for Level 8/9.

The bwo is more traditional. Kids usually learn the bwo first. Then the bwo bwo series and the Bhs on it’s own, followed by bhs bhs, and then bhs blo.

But bwo can be very hard in the back, especially during puberty years. Many kids these days already have postural problems which effect the back, mix that with a lot of bwo’s and you can end up with a lot of back problems - pain, shifted disks, stress fractures etc.

She’s doing it because the BWO was hard on her back and she preferred the BHS, she only did a BWO to score out of 5 and that’s it. We had some girls compete BWO BWO but it wasn’t common, a few competed BHS. I think maybe the other locations coach might just be reducing impact on backs then? Because she rarely works BWO at all and no one is doing a tictok BHS either as a series.

It’s interesting how different places have different strategies.

Landing that handstand solid and securely enough after holding it to go into the BHS looks challenging. That may just be my kid though lol

The BWO BWO was my daughter's series for level 6 and level 7. She now cannot do BWO due to back injury (full fracture between L4 and L5 and slipped disk between L5 and S1), so she is going to HS BHS while learning to connect BHS BHS (she doesn't get her second foot under the first..she keeps landing in lunge because she only did BWO BWO for so long and then a single BHS). BWO BWO is awful on the back. She cannot do any BWO anymore per doctor's orders.

The BWO BWO was my daughter's series for level 6 and level 7. She now cannot do BWO due to back injury (full fracture between L4 and L5 and slipped disk between L5 and S1), so she is going to HS BHS while learning to connect BHS BHS (she doesn't get her second foot under the first..she keeps landing in lunge because she only did BWO BWO for so long and then a single BHS). BWO BWO is awful on the back. She cannot do any BWO anymore per doctor's orders.
I'm so sorry to hear that!!! I'm very happy mine isn't doing a BWO, her BHS is very solid and I don't want her stressing her back needlessly. I just thought BWO BHS was the standard series and at most they will amend it to accommodate specific individuals, but at our other location, HS BHS is the standard series, which I thought was very interesting

I would hope that the coaches will put whatever is strongest for each gymnast in their routines. I personally haven't seen gyms having the gymnasts do all the same series.

I would hope that the coaches will put whatever is strongest for each gymnast in their routines. I personally haven't seen gyms having the gymnasts do all the same series.
I know most of the gyms around us have a "preferred" series - but if someone can't do that series for some reason they change it, i.e. we have a girl doing a roundoff series because she won't go backwards, mine doing a HS because she won't do a BWO

Mine did a HS BHS this past season, too! :D Doing BHS BHS right now.
Interesting that some gyms have a preferred series, but now that I think about it, no one at our gym does BWO BWO ever... so I guess there is a "not preferred" series at ours Haha!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back