Parents Is there anything inbetween?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sj123

Proud Parent
Hi,

I am a mum (based in UK) of 2, one who is a competitive swimmer (which all seemed nice and straight forward, pass stage 7 and join swim club and train to compete)
The other DD well she's fallen in love with gymnastics.
DD will turn 8 in January and has been going to gymnastics since just short of being 7. We were offered class 2 based on her age (under 7) but due to work commitments couldn't make 4pm and so was placed into class 3(1hr) then class 4 (1.5hrs) and class 5 (top rec class)
She's been in class 5 a few months now and we now wonder what there is for an almost 8 year old who obviously isn't suitable for squad but would love more hours (currently does 2 hours) and maybe the opportunity to compete. I've enquired about 2 classes a week but this isn't an option because class 5 only runs two sessions and currently the second is full.
She can ROBHSBHS and almost got ROBHS tuck (both need perfecting but are being worked on) and can do splits and almost box splits and back hip circle.
Thanks for reading

Try trampoline and tumbling. They tend to be less stringent about who is “competition material” and that might give her a chance to train more hours and compete. She could also keep her rec class in artistic as the T and T hours tend to be lower.

Is there a definite reason she’s ‘not suitable for squad’? The floor skills sound pretty good for an 8yo. There are squads and squads and if your particular gym is ferociously competitive it might be worth looking at a trial somewhere else.

Failing that Id have a look round for gyms that have ‘in between’ options and different styles of gym. My 10yo DD is an ‘advanced rec’ sort of gymnast and currently performs all over the UK with her clubs display squad, does TeamGym and an advanced recreational sports acrobatics class. None of it taking her to high level competition any time soon but she’s learning new skills and having an absolute ball.

Trampolining another option - her friend who is similar sort of level gymnast moved to trampolining and now competes in that.

We have assumed she isn't because those in development seem to move to squad by 8. DD is now in the highest rec class with no mentioned of squad.
Trampoling may be a good option.

Not at gyms in the uk compete at the same level, some gyms only compete at the top level and will train high hours for an 8yr old training for the top level - compulsory grades you would be talking 15+ hours a week.
Some clubs focus on county level competitions, my friends dd is in a county squad aged 9 training 6hrs a week she only joined the squad 6 months ago.
I would have a look at what other gyms are near you and what they offer, even ask your current gym about their squad and see what they say I know my dd gym is very competitive so are very picky about who they choose for squad but will recommend other places.

Agree with Taxidriver, especially if your gym is a large city one (sounds like it if they have that many rec classes) they may have a very high level squad. Worth a conversation with the coaches to discuss your DDs wish to compete, and whether if it’s not an option there, they could recommend something else locally.

Perhaps also look at tumbling classes and squads? Working on back tucks at 8 after a year is good going for advanced rec, so she might have the makings of a tumbler.

I would be open and ask them. Not all gyms can be all things to all people, but there will be a gym out there that works for your daughter.
We are lucky to be at a gym that offers lots of different levels of gymnastics and commitment for girls. But they don't have the time and space to do the same for boys. So I have a boy desperate to do gymnastics who outgrew the rec side, but wasn't right for squad. But if the logistics worked then there are other local clubs that he could probably train with. I would phrase it as a 'what are the next options for her' rather than a 'why isn't she in your squad' and you might get a friendlier response. Good luck. If you end up moving gyms, it might feel a big thing at the time but will be worth it in a very short time.

I’d say a 7 yo with robhs is squad material in most clubs (doesn’t begin with N by any chance?)

I’d say you need to look around for a more inclusive club, whether thats tramp, acro, artistic.

Thank you all for the replies.
Cosmicacro, sorry didn't notice part about your DD being advanced rec and competing. No mention of advanced rec competing at our club.
Taxi driver, not sure what level they compete at but I've seen something that said Senior squad and 16 hours, so don't know if that says anything about what level the club is? Will look into other gyms and will also look into tumbling, how exactly is tumbling different to gymnastics, is it just floor and do clubs tend to offer tumbling, don't think ours does. I also thought it was a small club which was why we picked it because DD is fairly shy so went for what we thought was a smaller club but maybe it isn't (I'll have a look at other local clubs).
LearningparentGB sorry to hear about your little boys situation, hope you find something suitable and thank you I think your wording is perfect for approaching the situation.
Faith I think I've seen all the girls in advanced rec ROBHS so didn't realise it was an achievement as such at 7. I knew DD was excited to get it but assumed everyone could achieve it although most of advanced rec appear to be a bit older than DD, think DD is in a little group with 2 other 8 year olds and then 9 year olds.
Club doesn't begin with N.
Thanks again all for great info to look into. DD isn't 100% sure she wants to compete but would like more than 2 hours a week so will have chats, look at other clubs websites and see what is out there.
If ROBHS at almost 8 is squad material in most clubs what reason would it not be or can some clubs just be fussy?

Hi, tumbling is a discipline all by itself and goes right up to World Championships level. Some clubs offer it alongside artistic gym other separately. If you have a look on the British Gymnastics website you can search for clubs and what they offer.

Sports acro would be another one to look at - no bars and beam but floor work, pairs and balancing on each other. Lots of fun and they don’t tend to select as young as for artistic.

Rec classes definitely compete in our club - 2 hour ‘proficiency’ classes for WAG do one or two local competitions each year.

Good luck finding something. Definitely try the BG website to guide you to good places.

Hi Klaws, I did wonder that but coaches dont tell us anything :-(
What skills on other apparatus would be comparable and I'll ask DD if she can do them.
From what I've seen she can bwo on beam and kind of round off from it. On vault she can squat on and of the younger ones in advanced rec is the only one that ever attempts to get over the vault (I think it may be a straddle)
I was actually logging on to say that after reading some of the comments on here I decided to ring one of the local gyms for a trial.
They have invited us to go in next Saturday to the development class and they will assess her.
It's a much bigger gym so what will they be looking for?
Thanks again for all the replies.

More than anything, they will be looking to see if she can do, or come close to doing, as they ask. For example, if the ask her to adjust her handstand in a particular way, that she can and will do that. She needs to be open minded to have a chance at being really good. Doing skills in one thing - doing them well is another.

Strength can be trained, skills can be learned. Mental toughness and openness generally can’t.

Please also don’t get hung up on how fast or slow she progresses if she makes squad. I hate how mums on here say that their kids are “kept down”. They progress at their own rate and need longer to learn some skills. Give her time. If she lingers two or three years at a level, who cares? My DS has been at level 3 for near two years now and he won’t go up to 4 for at least another year. I sometimes took 2-4 years to really nail a level. RELAX and please remember she’s a kid!

Hi - how was the trial at the other gym? It’s a good idea to both see what other clubs offer and speak to coaches at current club!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back