WAG Is this against the rules?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wow, I don't see how a kid could safely do high school without doing club to some level. It is my understanding that high school is about L8, no way to do that safely if you aren't a club gymnast since school only practices a few months per year.
We have had girls on our high school team that never competed higher than Xcel Gold (for our Y team, but they had retired before they were on the high school team) ... and they only practiced during high school season. They didn't score as high as the higher level girls, but the general rule is that you only do what you can do safely ... if they are missing a SR (or 2 or 3), they are missing them ... but its no big deal.
And some states have varying levels of High School Gymnastics... with JV having one set of requirements and Varsity having another.

In my state varsity is between level 7 and 8, junior varsity is a modified level 4(or can do level 3 for 9.0 start value). Most of the varsity kids do Xcel or JO in the off season, jv kids a mix of lower level Xcel or former gymnasts or no other gymnastics. The bulk of the high school season comes after JO/Xcel State championships, It's a spring sport. It's my understanding they just can't compete both at the same time(but ok to practice with both), so many do the JO/Xcel comp season through states, but wouldn't be able to do Regionals/Westerns/JO's without missing most of the high school season.

In my state (which does not allow club gymnastics during the high school season - much like MN), the level of varsity high school teams seems to be around L7-9, with a rare L10. These girls are club gymnasts too. They just don't practice or compete with their club during the high school season (approximately 3 months in the winter). During that time, they practice with their high school team. Some of the high school coaches and facilities are quite good. There are also a handful of JO meets both before and after the high school season so these gymnastics can qualify for state and beyond with their club teams (high school season is over here by state, regionals, etc.).

Honestly, I think high school gymnastics in my state looks great (see public youtube video below)! A nice end game for gymnasts who are not on a college/elite type track (although I believe the team below did have one L10 gymnast who made it to Nationals and is committed to college). I wish our school district offered high school gymnastics because I think it would keep my daughter in the sport longer....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back