Parents Is this level of communication pretty standard?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TypicalGymMom

Proud Parent
DD started gymnastics a little less than 2 years ago, when she was 7. We love her gym, it's been a perfect fit. The coaches are very kind and nurturing; it's an xcel only gym, so is relatively low-hours and low-stress. The coaches do a good job of giving the girls routines they can execute well, so they all have a pretty good chance of getting on the podium.

But communication leaves a lot to be desired. Here are the things I've noticed:

1. When schedules change, we get about a week's notice, maybe 2 if we're lucky. This makes it hard to plan and coordinate things like piano lessons for DD or activities for other kids.

2. There don't seem to be parent meetings ever.

3. One of the coaches mentioned a few weeks ago that some kids might be moving to JO in a year or two because the program has grown so much and that's a better fit for some. DD, who competed as a silver this year, told me this week that she is now uptraining for level 6. My guess is level 6 means more time and a level of stress and commitment that I'm not sure our family really wants. It seems like this maybe should have been discussed with families before kids were told they were training for that level.

4. Along the same lines as #3, there has been a really rapid progression of new skills over the summer. Since we haven't talked about future plans for gymnastics, it just seems really fast, and I worry about safety. There have been no injuries at our gym since we've been there and the coaches seem very safety-oriented when I'm there, but it just seems like a lot.

Are all of these things just normal gymnastics culture? Are any of these things legitimately worrying in any way? I know as the parent I'm just along for the ride, but next year will be here soon, and it would be really nice to know what that might involve, so we can be prepared.

DD started gymnastics a little less than 2 years ago, when she was 7. We love her gym, it's been a perfect fit. The coaches are very kind and nurturing; it's an xcel only gym, so is relatively low-hours and low-stress. The coaches do a good job of giving the girls routines they can execute well, so they all have a pretty good chance of getting on the podium.

But communication leaves a lot to be desired. Here are the things I've noticed:

1. When schedules change, we get about a week's notice, maybe 2 if we're lucky. This makes it hard to plan and coordinate things like piano lessons for DD or activities for other kids.

2. There don't seem to be parent meetings ever.

3. One of the coaches mentioned a few weeks ago that some kids might be moving to JO in a year or two because the program has grown so much and that's a better fit for some. DD, who competed as a silver this year, told me this week that she is now uptraining for level 6. My guess is level 6 means more time and a level of stress and commitment that I'm not sure our family really wants. It seems like this maybe should have been discussed with families before kids were told they were training for that level.

4. Along the same lines as #3, there has been a really rapid progression of new skills over the summer. Since we haven't talked about future plans for gymnastics, it just seems really fast, and I worry about safety. There have been no injuries at our gym since we've been there and the coaches seem very safety-oriented when I'm there, but it just seems like a lot.

Are all of these things just normal gymnastics culture? Are any of these things legitimately worrying in any way? I know as the parent I'm just along for the ride, but next year will be here soon, and it would be really nice to know what that might involve, so we can be prepared.
Wow, you get at least a WEEKS notice. you are LUCKY in my opinion

Sadly, the short notice for schedules is very common. Our coaches try to get schedules to us as soon a possible, but we're lucky.

I do think going JO should have been discussed. Parents have to be on board.

The summer skills wouldn't bother me at all. Usually they've been training and drilling the basics of these skills for a long time and then once uptraining begins they can put them all together very quickly.

I swear I wrote a post almost EXACTLY like this a year ago :p After adjusting to a gym that communicates very little, I think you have to go with your gut. There are changes happening, and it's totally reasonable to ask for a meeting with the coach to make sure you're on the same page so you can support and plan accordingly. I also think the beginning of the summer is a good time for a check-in anyway, because the coach is always going to tell a different story than the athlete, and your job is to support and protect, which means being informed. It doesn't have to be a big long meeting, and they should be happy to talk with you (it's a red flag if they won't).

I am also in the Jealous of Team Meetings club. Solidarity.

We get our summer schedule maybe 3 weeks before it starts? same for fall. We dont know the level move ups till after summer. I wouldnt like them changing the track of the gym without at least mentioning it to parents (I feel like a move from an excel only gym to a jo only gym is a big change that should warrent a meeting). We get one team meeting before the competative season starts where they go over competition fees and general welcome to team life stuff (its the same every year so if youve been to one youve been to em all) I would ask to Schedule a meeting with a coach to figure out whats going on so you can determine now if it will be a good fit for your family. If you need to look at making changes now is the time to do it not September when you find out shes going to be a high hour level 6 or something you won't be on board with.

Seems standard, but anything that comes with a significant increase in hours or costs should be discussed with parents. Maybe they’re kind of trialing the girls so see who can make the jump (based on their criteria) and they’ll ask if she’s chosen?

Seems standard, but anything that comes with a significant increase in hours or costs should be discussed with parents. Maybe they’re kind of trialing the girls so see who can make the jump (based on their criteria) and they’ll ask if she’s chosen?

I think that's probably what's going on, but my daughter is only 9, and even if she is physically capable of progressing quickly, I don't think that needs to be our priority.

It sounds like all of these things are pretty normal, I'm just having a touch of culture shock. We're still pretty new to all of this, and we've really just dipped our toes into gymnastics (6 hours per week up until now).

To clarify, it's not the whole gym that is changing to JO, one of the coach mentioned some girls who needed to move to that system would. I assumed he was talking about the platinums and diamonds, not my baby girl in silver.

The schedule issue seems pretty typical. We have been at 2 gyms, and the newer one is slightly better than the older one, but we don't get much notice at all. But honestly, my other DD does soccer and softball, and they are even worse with schedules. We will learn 2 days before the 1st practice that spring season practices are going to be on Weds and Fridays, and sorry not sorry if that completely messes up your already scheduled piano lessons, religious ed, etc. Formal parent meetings seem rare for gyms and other travel sports as well.

Adding JO seems like a bigger decision, and one that is definitely worth chatting with coaches about. They should have at least sent a detailed email home explaining what is going on.

Everyone's given some good feedback. I'll just add that it's common for skill progression to seem a lot more rapid this time of year. Summer tends to be when they put all of the pieces they've been working (drills, strength & conditioning, and other building blocks) together to actually go for new skills.

It’s pretty normal for meet schedules to change. We learned the hard way not to book a lower rate non refundable hotel room.

We also have only one team meeting pre season to go over stuff like uniform orders, meets and general stuff.

Level placement is generally done solely by coaches and not discussed with parents. Boys don’t have a program like Excel. Skills are also controlled by the caches. Most (good) coaches will discuss your child with you one on one the circumstances for your child. But as s rule even within the same level kids are practicing different skills on different events based on that kids progression.

Gym owners in my experience are not stellar communicators, it’s not like they need to be certified in communication.

You can help by asking questions. It also helps to figure out how they deal best. Our gym it’s best to contact them by way of email.

Regarding the level. After level 5 it’s no longer compulsory so much of their routines can carry over. And unless there was a change in hours I wouldn’t be at all concerned. If it was JO to Xcel that would concern me.

Regarding skills. This is the time of year that the burst of new skills happen

Regarding the level. After level 5 it’s no longer compulsory so much of their routines can carry over. And unless there was a change in hours I wouldn’t be at all concerned. If it was JO to Xcel that would concern me.

I think Xcel to JO is just as concerning without a conversation, unless the hours/costs/meets will stay the same as they would have for silver/gold.

I think Xcel to JO is just as concerning without a conversation, unless the hours/costs/meets will stay the same as they would have for silver/gold.
Again if hours don’t change costs shouldn’t. Registration to USAG is the same.

And more often then not we paid more for an XCel meet then JO, so it’s pretty comparable.

To clarify, it's not the whole gym that is changing to JO, one of the coach mentioned some girls who needed to move to that system would. I assumed he was talking about the platinums and diamonds, not my baby girl in silver.

If their long-term plan is to have a successful JO team with potential level 10s or maybe even college athletes in the future then they're likely focusing more on the young ones. This may not be true for everyone, but I suspect it would be a much harder sell to get a teenager to switch than a talented 9 year old would could score out of 5 and start JO as an optional.

Boys don’t have a program like Excel. Skills are also controlled by the caches. Most (good) coaches will discuss your child with you one on one the circumstances for your child. But as s rule even within the same level kids are practicing different skills on different events based on that kids progression.
Actually, there is a Boys Xcel Program now, however, it may not be used at your gym. https://usagym.org/pages/men/pages/xcel.html

If their long-term plan is to have a successful JO team with potential level 10s or maybe even college athletes in the future then they're likely focusing more on the young ones. This may not be true for everyone, but I suspect it would be a much harder sell to get a teenager to switch than a talented 9 year old would could score out of 5 and start JO as an optional.
She would have to score out of both L4 and L5 ;)

Our gym does coach/parent meetings once a year in May/June to discuss plans for the next year. So, at that meeting you would discuss Xcel vs. JO but of course, movement between the two seems to happen later in the summer too if girls decide that they just don't want to do JO anymore. I think it's common for the gym to continue to upgrade skills without discussing that with the parents. It's part of the sport and I think the assumption is that all kids want to progress. Of course, not all kids will stick with the sport over time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back