Parents Is this level of communication pretty standard?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yeah, the communication thing has always bugged me. DD has been in 2 gyms. One was great about communicating all schedule changes formally with an email, although yes, it might be just a week's notice. In her current gym, major changes are communicated with emails (with a week's notice or less) but temporary changes are hit and miss. Sometimes it's "Hey mom. There's no gym tomorrow." How do you know? "Emma told me." It can be frustrating, but I'm learning to roll with it. If kids ever miss gym by miscommunication, maybe they'll tighten that up. *shrug* Generally, the practices have followed a general flow in both gyms, so you get to where you can anticipate roughly when it will change and how.

Team meetings: Previous gym it was annually or in the case of big news. New gym, none.
Meetings with coaches: Previous gym it was pretty easy. We were welcome to even just wait for the coaches before or after practice - though if they didn't have time you'd just keep trying. New gym, you have to request them. Coach meetings are more formal with a set day/time and both coaches present.

As for changes like xcel to JO. Yes, they should tell you that. But I'm not surprised they didn't. When it comes to moving a portion of a team to something that's generally considered "better" (or any circumstance that can be viewed as special like being asked to a special event or team), I've observed that it's not uncommon to keep it quiet until it's all settled. And there is often an assumption that everyone will want the "better" option. Even then, it's often just communicated to the affected people. Maybe, in part, it is in hopes of avoiding having to deal with "why didn't you ask my kid?" but I think it may do more harm than good. The truth is, some will get certain opportunities and others won't. Clear communication might be a hassle, but it is appreciated.

As for your girl.. yes, these are valid concerns.. but my general approach to these things is 'wait and see.' Regarding safety, it sounds like they've earned your trust on that front so far. There's no reason to think they would suddenly become reckless and endanger their gymnasts. Regarding how the JO program would affect your family? You don't even know yet if she'll be asked to join it. She's just training the skills - which could be used in xcel as well. If she's enjoying it, why not train new skills? In the mean time, you can learn more about JO. When the time comes, ask your questions, and then decide. But right now, you don't know what that would look like in the way of commitment. Some gyms compete JO but at a lower stress/hours level.

OrchidZ makes a good point. Often in gyms a lack of communication is a very, very deliberate move.

The JO thing may not be set in stone yet, the gym may just be training for the goal, but are waiting to see if enough kids are even ready for it. If they mention it now, parents will start to think "I want JO for my kid". Then if it doesn't end up happening, they may change gyms.

They are also probably not mentioning it to the families of the kids who are working towards the goal, until they are 100% sure they will make that team. If they knew they were working on it and then don't make it, they will feel like they failed.

Also your daughter may not have the correct info. Coaches may be mentioning things that aren't 100% accurate, or it may have been taken out of context.

Here are my thoughts about communication. Yes, it is apparently very common for communication from coaches to be less than parents would prefer. Sometimes MUCH less. BTW we experience poor communication with some of the track and cross country coaches now that my oldest son is doing those sports in high school. So it is not just gymnastics.
Parents should feel comfortable asking a coach whatever reasonable questions they have (your questions are all reasonable imo) but it is probably best to use a communication method that works for the coach. Talking to coach after/during/before practice is a mode I have always tried to avoid. Even if the coach is willing, it is typically not a good time for anything in depth to be discussed. Instead I text or email the coach, and if I think an actual conversation is needed I text or email requesting that we arrange a time to talk on the phone.

If I've learned anything in the 6+ years we've been involved with gymnastics, it's that the summer is very, very fluid. Expect it to be a great big question mark for awhile. As it gets closer to meet season, things will start to fall into place and you'll better know what questions to ask.

Whatever happens in your pursuit do not try to communicate to the coach before or after training sessions 90% of the time the coach is paid to get to work at a certain time to coach their gymnasts with the specific program they have set and to get stuck with parents asking questions as their entering the gym and just after they have finished coaching 4-6 hours the last thing they want is to explain themselves. Emails asking for a meeting or setting up a meeting is when they will organise all their programming results for your gymnast and to be able to explain their ideas in an appropriate manner. The amount of times parents try to bombard a coach before or after sessions amazes me. As the coach can’t focus on just one child during that time. You will always be pamled off during that time you need to be specific for your child if you want more info. Just ask at the right times by the right means

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back