Is Tuition Up Due to Coronavirus?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Has tuition increased at your gym due to COVID-19?

• Yes

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • Yes... but not due to COVID-19

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I expected tuition to go up, but it didn’t. My oldest is at max hours, so we pay the highest amount as-is. DD2 moved up a level and as expected, her hours increased also. They haven’t been at full hours yet, but upon return to the gym on 7/5, they will be adding 4 extra hours per week each with out a price hike.
Our gym continues to offer a family discount plus we paid tuition over shutdown and it is now equally divided over 12 months and applied as a discount each month... so, we are paying less by like $65 per month despite the overall increase.

I really can't believe that more gyms haven't jumped their prices up right away. It seems inevitable that most will have to increase soon. We currently only have room for a 1/3 of the students that we had in before... so we have no choice... we have to take the 1/3 that is willing to pay more.

Team had a price increase of $15/month for all levels. This is 3% - 7% depending on the level. One of our major issues is that we missed our team tryout... so we are currently low on numbers.

Pre-Covid team tuition was $80/ month for 7.5 hours a week (3 days x 2.5 hours) x 4 weeks.
We still aren't back to "real" training yet ... we are still only doing 50 minute "privates" for $30.
In 2 weeks, we will be offering week long mini-camps that are 55 minutes each day.
IF someone were to get 3 privates a week x 4 weeks, then they would be paying 450% of what monthly tuition usually is.
Of course, with the limited numbers of availability, nobody is doing that many.
Even at 1 private a week, it is 150% of monthly tuition.

We don't have team prices set yet for when we do return, but based on our advanced rec pricing, I could see monthly tuition going up to $90, so a $10 increase ... or 12.5%.

Pre-Covid team tuition was $80/ month for 7.5 hours a week (3 days x 2.5 hours) x 4 weeks.
We still aren't back to "real" training yet ... we are still only doing 50 minute "privates" for $30.
In 2 weeks, we will be offering week long mini-camps that are 55 minutes each day.
IF someone were to get 3 privates a week x 4 weeks, then they would be paying 450% of what monthly tuition usually is.
Of course, with the limited numbers of availability, nobody is doing that many.
Even at 1 private a week, it is 150% of monthly tuition.

We don't have team prices set yet for when we do return, but based on our advanced rec pricing, I could see monthly tuition going up to $90, so a $10 increase ... or 12.5%.

Where is this magical gym where you can practice 3 days/ week for $80 per month?!? I pay almost that much for DD3’s (age 3.5) 30 minute/week rec class. But, in all seriousness, my husband and I are considering relocating somewhere where cost of living is a little lower.

My DD2 practices 3 days/week (3 hour practices) and we pay almost 5x that amount monthly and privates are double that for a coach straight out of high school—and our gym is the least expensive in our area.

Where is this magical gym where you can practice 3 days/ week for $80 per month?!?

Yes... our 45 minute preschool classes are over $80/month. Team tuition is over $300/month at our club for 7.5 hours.

Where is this magical gym where you can practice 3 days/ week for $80 per month?!? I pay almost that much for DD3’s (age 3.5) 30 minute/week rec class. But, in all seriousness, my husband and I are considering relocating somewhere where cost of living is a little lower.

My DD2 practices 3 days/week (3 hour practices) and we pay almost 5x that amount monthly and privates are double that for a coach straight out of high school—and our gym is the least expensive in our area.

We are with a YMCA gymnastics team. A YMCA membership is required, so unless you or your family are planning to use the Y for other activities, you might have to factor in a youth membership into tuition (Youth Membership is $25 a month or $300 a year).
Our gymnastics director tries to keep costs down wherever she can. We just moved into a bigger building last summer. We follow USAG rules, but only compete against other YMCAs in our district ... except for YMCA Nationals (and Regionals if it is hosted by a team in our district) ... which is hosted by a different team each year. YG has qualified for Nationals 7 times and competed there 4 times.
All competitive levels (L3-L8/9 and Xcel Gold-Platinum) practice 7.5 hours a week. HC keeps hours low so gymnasts can have a life outside of gymnastics (varsity sports, scouts, drama / show choir, jobs, volunteering, etc).
Our other fees aren't too bad either.
Meet fees
For a regular meet = $15 - $20
District Championships = $40
Regionals, if we go = $65 - $70
Nationals L3-L7 and Xcel AND Nationals Men except Championship Level= USUALLY $100, but this year in Long Beach was going to be $110
Nationals L8 = USUALLY $110, but this year in Long Beach was going to be $120
Nationals L9/10 (compete together as "Championship Level") AND Mens Championship Level = USUALLY $120 , but this year in Long Beach was going to be $130
Level 8+ is higher because (at least the women) have the opportunity to compete on 2 days if they qualify for AA Finals (L8) or Event Finals (L9/10).

Team leotard, warm ups, and gym bag are usually about $250. We keep our warm ups as long as we can so they can be handed down to another gymnast to help defray costs of new if needed. We ONLY buy jackets now because the size chart on the adult size pants is 1000% wrong. We also keep our team leotards as long as we can, usually only changing when the style is discontinued (except we have started having a "senior leo" since we actually have seniors competing every year now - The seniors choose it as a group and it has to coordinte with our regular team leotard).

If you really are looking to relocate and don't look down on YMCA programs, the Southwest Ohio District has several really good teams.

Our gym is asking us to donate cleaning and sanitizing supplies, rather then up charge us. I expect tuition to go up in Sept as it does every year

We are with a YMCA gymnastics team. A YMCA membership is required, so unless you or your family are planning to use the Y for other activities, you might have to factor in a youth membership into tuition (Youth Membership is $25 a month or $300 a year).
Our gymnastics director tries to keep costs down wherever she can. We just moved into a bigger building last summer. We follow USAG rules, but only compete against other YMCAs in our district ... except for YMCA Nationals (and Regionals if it is hosted by a team in our district) ... which is hosted by a different team each year. YG has qualified for Nationals 7 times and competed there 4 times.
All competitive levels (L3-L8/9 and Xcel Gold-Platinum) practice 7.5 hours a week. HC keeps hours low so gymnasts can have a life outside of gymnastics (varsity sports, scouts, drama / show choir, jobs, volunteering, etc).
Meet fees
Nationals L3-L7 and Xcel AND Nationals Men except Championship Level= USUALLY $100, but this year in Long Beach was going to be $110
Nationals L9/10 (compete together as "Championship Level") AND Mens Championship Level = USUALLY $120 , but this year in Long Beach was going to be $130
Level 8+ is higher because (at least the women) have the opportunity to compete on 2 days if they qualify for AA Finals (L8) or Event Finals (L9/10).

Team leotard, warm ups, and gym bag are usually about $250. We keep our warm ups as long as we can so they can be handed down to another gymnast to help defray costs of new if needed. We ONLY buy jackets now because the size chart on the adult size pants is 1000% wrong. We also keep our team leotards as long as we can, usually only changing when the style is discontinued (except we have started having a "senior leo" since we actually have seniors competing every year now - The seniors choose it as a group and it has to coordinte with our regular team leotard).

If you really are looking to relocate and don't look down on YMCA programs, the Southwest Ohio District has several really good teams.
Good to know. I grew up doing YMCA gymnastics I Ohio. It was a really rural area and the only option, there weren’t any free-standing gyms that were less than an hour away.
We live in a different area of Ohio and have competed with some of
Meet fees

I grew up doing gymnastics through the YMCA in the northern part of Ohio. I lived in a rural area and it was our only option within an hour drive. I feel like my kids have competed against some YMCA programs before (we live in Ohio)as they do USAG and AAU meets. I actually had my DD1 in a YMCA program when she was 4 but it was very unorganized and one of the coaches left to go to a freestanding gym and we followed her and we are still at said gym.

Our gym is offering free open gym passes in exchange for cleaning supplies, which would be a great deal if I could actually find cleaning supplies anywhere.
I did laugh when she asked for wipes. I haven’t seen those since February. But we’ve been able to get her everything else on the list.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back