Parents Is years of gymnastics physically harmful?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pullover

Proud Parent
There seem to be a lot of folks out there who believe that gymnastics can really harm a growing body. Of course it is very important that the coaches know what they are doing but is it possible that doing J.O. hours for so many years is harmful even with the best of coaches? I would love to hear some opinions on this from this board in particular -as you all chose the sport despite the reputation.

I think long hours in any sport or multiple sports will eventually have an effect on your body. Gymnastics can be especially hard on joints after years of pounding. Kids who play soccer can often have a lot of knee and ankle issues from all the stopping, starting and twisting they do. Football players can have issues with repeated concussions and knee injuries, possibly exacerbated by artificial turf. Baseball players are seeing an uptick in the number of elbow and shoulder injuries. some young players are even resorting to preemptive Tommy John surgery. The amount of time kids devote to sports in general, not just gymnastics, seems to be on the rise. Although this can be good for keeping them active and in shape, it will definitely increase the wear and tear on their bodies.

my trampolining days are over !

All sports at a high level are "harmful" (hubbie is 57 and needs two new knees, a new shoulder, left hand and
right ankle after 20 years of high level rugby ) however so is sitting on your backside all your life.

You weigh up the benefits over the risks and take your chances.

Like many sports, there is a range of gymnastics, from the recreational to the intensely serious. For those who are towards the serious end of the spectrum, there are probably more injuries that may have long term repercussions. But in general, does gymnastics do long term harm to growing kids, I haven't had any doctor tell me that and I have a kid at that far end.

Also, most coaches are really good at tailoring workouts depending on where kids are in the season cycle. It's not like a kid who goes 15 or 20 or 25 hours a week is doing full on tumbling passes 52 weeks a year. There's a lot of conditioning and very low impact drill work during those many hours of gymnastics. Most coaches I know are very sensitive to the type of impact that gymnastics can have on the body, so they work hard to minimize the effects the sport has.

I don't think gymnastics is any more "harmful" than any other sport or any repetitive activity (dentist get severe back problems from stooping all day, secretaries get carpal tunnel from typing all day, and the list goes on) Injuries and consistent repetitive use of body parts can lead to some deterioration/abuse (for lack of a better word) of that body part. Like everything else, does the benefit outweigh the good? I think it does. However, neglect of aches and pains or lack of proper care when injuries occur is definitely detrimental to a person"s present and future well being.

Last edited:
It really depends. I don't have many problems really and I assume I'm better off physically than most people. Hard to tell though.

Yes. Any sport you do that makes your body do unnatural things over and over again and puts high forces on your body is. I did ballet for years and my hips are jacked up, they crack strangly but I have to crack them or they get too tight and one of them dislocates.

Somewhat...my back would say yes :) However the benefits far outwiegh the negatives and I have seen high school football players and dancers (now my age) with far more issues.

I played soccer through college and at 38 years old I have aches and pains that I may not have had if I hadn't played higher level sports. That being said, if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't change a thing!

I'm too lazy to find links just now, but gymnasts basically have a growth spurt after they retire and then still attain their predicted adult height, so height basically isn't affected. Bone density nice and high, so less chance of osteoporosis later in life as a trade off for the aches and pains. Overall health would have to be a plus as with any sport.

I was a competitive skier in high school and college and since have needed back surgery and my lower spine is fused. Would I do it again. Absolutely. As for gymnastics, it seems a better call than some sports given the whole body, core strength, focus of the sport.

I'm too lazy to find links just now, but gymnasts basically have a growth spurt after they retire and then still attain their predicted adult height, so height basically isn't affected. Bone density nice and high, so less chance of osteoporosis later in life as a trade off for the aches and pains. Overall health would have to be a plus as with any sport.

My daughter was really hoping for that often talked about growth spurt after retiring, but I don't think it's going to actually happen. I think she just like to break 5'2".

My daughter passed me up already (she's 12). She's 4'11". She's also itching to hit 5 ft! :)

As for gymnastics.. I think every competitive sport can be hard on the body. (You should hear her crackle and pop!) .. But I also think gymnastics really focuses on being strong and flexible to give the athletes plenty of support to do their skills. It's hard on the body, sure. But I agree -- so is sitting on the couch. I'd much rather my girl be active and doing something she loves!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back