WAG Issue with "Name"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What a jerk! I had an acquaintance once introduce me to others using an alternate pronunciation of my last name ( my cousins actually say it that way). I politely said "we say XYZ". She said " well I say ABC.". I thought, but that's not my name. People are so funny about them.

WTH? "I don't do nicknames"???? Wow, really? It would be one thing (maybe) if she was registered with given name, but she's not.
So it's like a friend's daughter whose name is Tori, and that coach would have decided to call her Victoria? And that's not even her name.

So glad the other two "get it"!

I'm glad the HC was so supportive, interesting who small the gym community is that they knew of some of the problems. Frustrating that the one coach was so resistant to just calling her her name. Interesting also that the other were so aware that she did not like it.

I'm so glad you had "backup" from the HC and GO to help bring your coach to his senses!

I have encountered people who just fancy the formality of using full names, but I've never personally met someone who would actively resist like that. Strange.

Out of curiosity, is the coach from another country? Or come from some other formal background like the military perhaps? Just curious, not that it really matters. I'm glad you finally got everything out, and hope the coach adapts quickly.

Wow! I am shaking my head at this one. Requiring a prolonged discussion to sort out a name issue just seems strange. It should have been a one sentence conversation - not even really a conversation - just a statement. I can't understand the thought process of someone that would argue about such a thing.

Good luck to you and your daughter! I hope everything works out and this makes things more comfortable for her in the gym.

Wow, crazy! Hopefully this coach will call your dd by her right name at this point. If you hear of him using her full name speak up immediately.

I'm glad the HC was so supportive, interesting who small the gym community is that they knew of some of the problems. Frustrating that the one coach was so resistant to just calling her her name. Interesting also that the other were so aware that she did not like it.
I'm not 100% sure if they knew she did not like it prior to the conversation or not. Or if maybe with just the brief info I gave when I asked for a few moments of this coaches time that just figured it out? I'm not sure.

I try really hard not make assumptions unless I've asked questions first. But in this case, I'm going to "assume" that when we filled out our paperwork and listed former gym, they may have gotten information not so much personal info but made aware of the incident and possibly "assumed" my dd was part of that. I don't know. It was discussed beyond them referencing a "former issue". Who knows. Does look like they backed me up. So I'm hoping tonight during role call she is called XXX!! Oh! And even to this point, I've never said her name was anything different.

Strange situation!!

I'm so glad you had "backup" from the HC and GO to help bring your coach to his senses!

I have encountered people who just fancy the formality of using full names, but I've never personally met someone who would actively resist like that. Strange.

Out of curiosity, is the coach from another country? Or come from some other formal background like the military perhaps? Just curious, not that it really matters. I'm glad you finally got everything out, and hope the coach adapts quickly.

The answer to your question is no...good ole USA! And I'm not certain military background or not. We will all receive the coaches bios here soon I think is what another parent told me. Definitely will be reading up.

Wow! I am shaking my head at this one. Requiring a prolonged discussion to sort out a name issue just seems strange. It should have been a one sentence conversation - not even really a conversation - just a statement. I can't understand the thought process of someone that would argue about such a thing.

Good luck to you and your daughter! I hope everything works out and this makes things more comfortable for her in the gym.

I know right? It almost felt like a temper tantrum was throne by coach and not the 12 yr old gymnast!! I think coach would have just listened instead of talking back from the get go, it would have been dealt with rather quickly. But sadly, I'm pretty sure we used the full hr set aside for the update/progress report and this issue.

Reactions: sce
Well, I give you a lot of credit for how you handled the whole situation. I probably would have been in shock to witness an adult temper tantrum over my child's name. Clearly his coaching expertise far exceeds his common sense. Thank goodness your dd is progressing so well at that gym because that coach's personality (or lack thereof) would be a huge drawback for me.

Hopefully she can now move on from this.

Well I hope your dd doesn't have to train with this coach for much longer as really he sounds like an ****.
Glad the owner/hc also thinks it's absurd.
Regardless of any previous issues/anxieties etc the coach should be able to call the child by their name or (within reasons) what they want to be called!

Ahhh...well let's just say this month has been a roller coaster. The first few days after the meeting were sketchy. Obvious signs of retaliation. DD is competing level 7 this yr but had to score out of 5. After mobility meet, coach tried to keep her from training her level 7 stuff by only allowing level 4. Apparently the thought was to "bulk up" level 4 and she was the new kid with talent. Anyways, after HC got wind of this, they discussed the obvious reasons she was being "picked on" ( HC's words...not mine!) Fast forward to our monthly update meeting...coach APOLOGIZED for all this! Sort of felt forced with me but the way it was handled with DD, I will accept it.

DD has said that only a couple times coach has called her a different name. What's funny is, during his portion of the update/progress meeting, he referred to her a number of times by the first initial of her name. Made me laugh as this is the same coach that said he doesn't use "nicknames"!

All in all, I feel confident this issue is at bay. DD is happy and moving forward. So that makes this momma happy.

Thanks Ali's mom for asking.

Phone wouldn't click on the quote option.

I'm so glad that it seems relatively resolved. And so glad your HC is on your side.
Thank you for sharing, I like knowing outcomes!! ;)
Good luck with Level 7!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back