WAG It has come to an end

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2littlegymmiesmom

Proud Parent
Well gymnastics has been our life for the last 4 years and it has been a fun ride with many ups and downs but it looks like our ride has come to and end.

After a very difficult mid season move to a new state (not out original plan but that's how it worked out) both of my girls have decided to not pursue gymnastics in our new home state. My oldest DD (11) L8 has had a host of nagging injuries and has decided she is no longer having fun in gymnastics. I saw this coming prior to the move with her not wanting to go to practice or wanting to leave early. The skills and commitment at this level are obviously much more demanding and she just felt like her heart wasn't in it and she was tired of always being hurt. Turns out her subluxing peeoneal tendon injury was much worse than her original doctor had thought. We found a great doctor in our new state who she loves and he says on a scale of 1-10 her injury is about and 8 1/2-9 and he's shocked no doctor took care of it sooner. She will need surgery and doesn't want to try a comeback after surgery.

Youngest DD (9) xcel gold also said she is done. I've tried to talk to her and explain just because her big sister is done doesn't mean she has To be as well but she said she wants to try other things. She also said that she is really enjoying having free time to do things like ride her bike and play outside after school, things that are hard to do when you Get out of school at 3:30 and practice from 4-8 Most weeknights.

I thought I would be More heartbroken but surprisingly I'm not. I too am enjoying the lack of stress that comes from meets and shuttling kids to practice all week!

On a positive note both have started cheerleading and LOVE it! They had their 1st competition last weekend and their team took 1st and earned jackets. All they talked about on the ride home was how much fun it was and how much less stress it is than gymnastics because they don't feel as much pressure. They love getting to perform and compete as a team instead of individuals and their strength from gymnastics is really helping. They are some of the best jumpers on the team already! Their tumbling skills are being put to good use as well. I am just sooooo HAPPY to see the huge smiles on their faces and that they have found something they love as much as gymnastics!!! So now we begin a new journey. I really appreciate all this board has taught me over the years and wish you all the best. Now to learn about becoming a cheer mom. LOL

We just went through the same thing with my gymmie. The first week or two was tough as we all detoxed, but it's getting much easier and she's starting to realize how many other fun things she can do. It's hard to say good-bye to something that has been such an important part of her life but so far, so good. Good luck with the continued transition!

Sounds like a good transition and so happy they found a new passion. Good luck with the cheer!

As I was reading your post I was thinking to myself how nice it must be to not have to pay for gym for 2 anymore. I was thinking what that would mean for someone with 2 at my gym and was getting all excited for you! Then I read how they have transitioned to cheer. :p:)

Sounds like your DDs each made the best decision for themselves. I hope they continue to enjoy cheer and discover new activities they enjoy. Good luck to you and your girls.

Thanks all! Surprisingly cheer is not that expensive so far, well compared to $500+ every month I don't think it's expensive. The other cheer moms may feel differently though!

I am just so happy to see them happy.
This was a really tough move for everyone and I just assumed they would have gymnastics to help them through it and as a place to make friends but cheer has so far filled any void left by gym. They are making friends and having fun and they are much less stressed (and so am I). While I loved watching them do gym and would have continued to do so for as long as they wanted, it really does take over your life!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back