- Aug 7, 2018
Was at the SEC championships this weekend and got to watch the replays of the Pac-12 and Big 10 champs later. Just saw the brackets came out. Very exciting, I hope others are too. Some thoughts:
- OU, Michigan and Florida are clearly the top 3. I did think there was a big gap between OU and the other two, but not so much anymore. OU is still the odds favorite but a strong meet by either UF or Michigan will definitely test them. Florida statistically has been slightly more consistent than Michigan with no score lower than 197.325 versus Michigan which has had a 196.9 and 197.1 but both have similar ceilings.
- I think regionals will pretty much go chalk with perhaps the Alabama/Kentucky 8-9 match up being the only nail-biter. Of course the usual disclaimer that if a top 8 team has to count a fall, all bets are off.
- Excited for the new shifted format so will be able to see more of the regionals since it will be spread out over the weekend.
- Scoring/judging is an issue across the board. SEC, Pac-12, Big 10 all had gifts to various teams. My only thought is that it will work itself out when the teams are all together, and the right team will win albeit with an incorrect score.
- I do find myself as I watch the various teams who is going to be a covid senior versus who is finishing their careers. Definitely interesting for roster management. Feels like these COVID years have been going forever and there are still this year and next to go.
- Auburn is settling with life without Suni, but they are still a shell of the magic from last year.
- Georgia, while more consistent than last year, still has a long way to go.
- LSU is so talented but I think they are tired. But they are dangerous and can go off. Especially with Bryant and Finnegan
- Kentucky is soooo consistent and good, but I think they are limited by their ceiling. They have had an amazing season and I wish more folks would celebrate what they have been able to do this year. Honestly they are this year's Auburn from last year.