It's final...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
I have illuded to this in a few other posts, but we have finally committed to a gym change. We have let the new gym know (and it's really new... like not even open until next week) and today we let Kathy's gym of the last five years (half her life!) know. It was SO hard, and there were tears all around, but in the end, her coaches were great and really showed a lot of class. They told her that they were crying because they loved her and would miss her, but that they knew that the gym change was the best thing for her, and that they are proud of her and excited to see what she will be able to accomplish in a private gym. I think THEM telling Kathy that this was a good choice made Kathy feel worlds better. She's been feeling SO guilty about the whole thing. This was by far the hardest decision that she's ever been a part of making.

Of course, the proof is in the pudding, so to speak, but the new gym seems like it's going to be wonderful. A woman with a PhD in kinesthesiology (had to look the spelling of that word up) will be coming twice a week to teach "Conditioning for Injury Prevention." There will also be dance instruction twice a week by a former gymnast who took up dance after an injury. All of the coaches made it to college and/or elite level gymnastics and have coached up through level 10. Since parents are not allowed to watch practices (that will be a big switch for me, but just think how productive I'll be!), each gymnast level 4 and up will have a private lesson once a month for the parents to come watch so the parents can see how their gymmie is progressing. Plus there's an open gym every Friday night, free for team members, but open to anyone, so Kathy's former teammates can come and do gym with Kathy once a week if they want (and the HC at the "old gym" is O.K. with this). AND the owner has a degree in business and had a career in business for a while, so I'm hopefull that if anyone can make a go of it, she can. In her business plan, she was planning for a team of 12 the first year and a team of 18 the second year. Well, last I heard, she was up to a team of 27, and she's not even open yet. I realize that it's the rec classes that support the gym, and I have no idea what her enrollment there looks like, but her gym is certainly becoming well-known in a very short time (she did "jump ship" from the other private gym in town, and had quite a following there, though I am quite sure that she didn't ask anyone to follow her. She has been the utterly professional in all of my dealings with her). While there's definitely a price increase from the YMCA gym, per hour it's not really very much different. It's just more hours (13... not an excessive amount for a level 6).

I realize that no gym is perfect, and I'm sure there will be things that annoy me about this gym too, once it's up and running. But I think it has the potential to be a really great, fun, and nurturing gym environment. A few months ago on Chalk Bucket, in a fit of frustration about DD's current gym, I posted a list of what my "perfect gym" would be like, and this sure checks off a lot of those squares... more than I could have hoped for!

Anyway, it feels good to have it all resolved and decided, even if it was hard. And it's neat to be starting in a gym from before it's even open. They had a picnic in the building last week and the girls got to watch the HC/owner put the final concrete block (her kids had painted it gold) into the pit.

So, many exciting changes! Will be sure to post occasionally to let everyone know how it is going. Thanks to the many of you who have helped out with kind words and advice throughout this difficult decision!

It sounds great, Mary A!! It must be so exciting! We also have a new gym opening up in town...it will be interesting to see which gymmies end up there from which gym.

You must feel great to have the decision made...and I know you will keep us posted! :)

Kudos to your old coaches for handling it with such class. It sounds like a great opportunity at the new gym. Best wishes to your daughter! I love the idea of privates for parents to see progress. It also sounds like a very qualified coaching staff.

Congratulations! It sounds like you were not the only one to write a dream list for a new gym. Clearly the new coach /owner put a lot of thought into what she wants in a gym. I have never heard of a specific "conditioning for injury prevention" and dance by former gymnasts should be great even if dance is not her thing. Have a blast and keep us posted.

I know it wasn't an easy decision but it's refreshing to hear that your DD's old gym handled the change with true class. Can't wait to hear how things go.

YAY! I am so glad her current gym was so gracious and understanding-- what a relief for your daughter. Now she can go and feel good about everything!

That was very sportsmanlike and friendly for her old gym to treat her that way. I'm sure it helped your dd feel better about it all around. Good luck to her and Keep us posted on how she is enjoying the new gym...sounds like a gem!!

It sounds like both sets of coaches are really great people, definitely the kind you want your DD to be learning from. I'm so happy for both you and your DD that giving word to the current coaches was a good experience with no hard feelings, I'm sure that took a huge weight off your DDs shoulders.
The new gym sounds like a dream and I hope your DD continues to improve and love gymnastics while there!

Congrats! It sounds like a good fit for her! From what I see 11 is sort of an average age for many level 6s, I don't think it's old at all! I know at our meets for level 5, the 10 year old age group seemed to be the toughest, whereas for level 4 it was the under 8s that had the toughest competition

photo (9).JPG

The new gym... almost done!!! When I showed the picture to Kathy, she said "Wow! What gym is THAT?" I said, "That's YOUR gym, sweetie!" She said that it looks like the most AWESOME gym ever! For her entire gymnastics career, all gym equipment has been pulled out of closets and set up at the beginning of practice and put back away at the end. We visited yesterday and, as a mom, I am thrilled by the "squishy-ness" of the entire place. At the Y, the vault runway was paper-thin, there was no spring floor... Walking around the new gym, I could practically feel Kathy's little knees and ankles and wrists and elbows breathing a heavy sigh of relief!

From what you describe I think Alex may be jealous of your DD's new gym!! LOL! She loves her coaches but the floor is a little bit old! And the pit is well....a pit!! I cannot view your picture but it sounds awesome!! I am glad the old gym was so gracious and understanding! Now she can feel confident that she made the right choice!!

Hmmm... wonder why you can't see the pic. Can anyone else see it? It shows up on mine. I just cut and pasted it in there instead of using the picture icon. For some reason, the picture icon sometimes gives my trouble.

can't see it here
Hmmm... wonder why you can't see the pic. Can anyone else see it? It shows up on mine. I just cut and pasted it in there instead of using the picture icon. For some reason, the picture icon sometimes gives my trouble.

The new gym sounds awesome!! Seems like the right decision was made to switch gyms, good luck to her at the first practice. :) (I can't see the pic either, if I try to view it it re-directs me to comcast email?)

I'll have to fight with the picture at home. Maybe there's some filter on my work computer intended to keep me from frittering away my day posting pictures on Chalk Bucket. THE NERVE! ;)

I can see the picture now! Gym looks (and sounds) amazing. I wish my gym looked like that. Good Luck at the new gym (for the both of you, sometimes its harder for parents than kids to fit in). Hopefully she loves it, let us know how it goes!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back