Parents Izzy's Floor Music

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GJM, (gymjourneymom)

That's all very accurate. As you can tell, there's alot of different things/feelings going on. Elizabeth's personality is very much fun and funky, but her dancing is classical and I believe the intent was to bring that out.

Funny, but of the three girls on her L7 team who all started with ballet, I never would have guessed that she would wind up the ballerina.

This really all started after a practice when the girls all went through their routines together as a group for the first time. Her BF who was also classically trained is also a very good hip hop dancer. She has a classical piece that has a hip hop break down in the middle. It fits her perfectly and is very fun.

Then there's another girl who is small and not very flexible, she has a fun upbeat routine with a funky move in that Elizabeth really liked, but it doesn't fit her and was designed specifically into this other girls routine just for her to accentuate her strengths.

Then there's another girl who is a ballerina and has an older sister who is a rhythmic gymnast and has some cool moves in her routine. Elizabeth is also very flexible and has been doing some of these moves at home for awhile always intending to use them when she became an optional. She was told that they don't fit her and then she sees this other girl using them and is probably a little disappointed.

So here she is with her routine that just doesn't have anything special in it except for what she brings to it. No fun, no funky, no cool moves. I think Elizabeth is supposed to feel the music and be dramatic, but that just isn't her personality. It is however her training so it's a real challenge to find a good balance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi GLM, (gym law mom)

It's been a while, where you been? Thanks for your post, I've already read it several times and need to read it a few more. She may very well need some perspective and I think she's mature enough to start processing the concept but might not fully grasp it yet....all this time and work only to arrive back at the beginning..HA! Let's see if an 11 Y.O can grasp that one;)

She does act like she has a handle on the forthcoming decision, but you never know what's going on inside. It could very well be that she needs to do well at her first meet to help justify in her mind all the time she spends doing gymnastics. She puts alot of pressure on herself for her first meets and we haven't had the talk yet this year...you know the one about not to have expectations and how it's really just to help get feedback to see where she is and what she needs to work on.

Her first L5 meet was a disaster. Worst day of her life ever if I remember correctly. She went on to have a very good season after that but at the time I'm sure it did seem as the worst day ever. First L6 meet she won and was very solid all season so I think it's time for a little sit down on the subject of expectations and a walk through memory lane:D

I think I need to get her her attention back on executing the requirements and continue to explain that there are no bonuses/deductions for composition and that by the time there are (L8) her routine will look entirely different.

Thanks!!!!!

You've got an artist gymmie I LOVE that! Having focused dance experience is both a blessing and a curse it seems sometimes. That's part of the challenge of it though, and one your DD is uniquely suited to conquer. To take something as powerful and demanding and rule based as a floor routine, and elevate it to something unique and eye-catching with nothing more than her own personal style. If she chooses to pursue it and compete with what she's given she may surprise herself with the outcome!

**edit** Reading about bare bones routines being common for level 7's still surprises me even though it shouldn't! Every floor coach I had, or optional coach I've worked with, has a HUGE demand for cardio for that reason. The floor routines always started max difficulty, and things got whittled by absolute necessity down to the wire if it couldn't be done cleanly. I'll tell ya I've seen some girls push themselves to keep their prized dance or acro moves in a routine, knowing if it didn't look awesome it would have to be sacrificed to the requirement Gods!

Last edited:
Hi TeamDad!! I can't wait to see how Elizabeth's season goes as well! I happen to love the classical look of gymnasts and think that Izzy has that look and grace that I love! She shows so much emotion when she performs! And now that she is an optional, the sky is the limit for her. Since Dani is in the Mason Dixon League, her optionals starts at Level A or 5 so this is her first year where she gets to have her own routines as well. I have seen such a difference in just one year and think that these optional years will be a lot of fun for Dani. Dani doesn't really like the big tricks either--tumbling is not really her thing. Artistry and creativity is really where Dani's stregnths are. She does some really cool and unique moves on floor and beam using her flexibility and strength that really bring out her personality. I can see Elizabeth going in this direction as well with her flexibility. I also think that the dance training helps foster the creativity in routines. I am sure that Elizabeth will really work that floor routine and make it her own!! I can't wait to see everything coming together!!

Hey MdGymMom01,

I'm looking forward to seeing Dani's new routines as well. I was looking forward to hopefully meeting you guys in Md. Who knows, I'm hoping for the best and we might be there.

Man, there's alot of moving parts to this. The meet is in five weeks and Elizabeth still needs a beam routine. She's also going through a growth spurt and it's messing with her bars. We took her to a PT for a check-up and they told us that the foot pain she still has is from her ligament injury in L5 never fully healing. We are taking her 2x a week for treatment and we have some simple exercises/stretches to strengthen the weakened areas in her lower back and foot.

(those of you with gymies 11+ know what I'm talking about I'm sure. ie bones growing faster than ligaments)

We have her final floor choro session scheduled for Friday and DW spoke to her coach last night so hopefully some things have been cleared up.

For one, Elizabeth has been targeting a few rhythmic gymnastics type moves since before the Olympics. I also tape college gymnastics for her to watch and when she sees something she likes she practices it in her room and was saving some moves for when she became an optional. She didn't just see her friend doing them last Friday and wanted to do them as well or steal them for her routine. It seems like a real stretch to think that someone could actually do one of these moves after seeing it one time. They take alot of flexibility and balance ie. doing a pirouette on one leg with your other leg up by your ear:eek: You can actually see some of the moves she's been planing to use in this collage that was taken when she was a L5, specifically the one in the top left
teamdad-albums-level-5-team-2007-08-season-misc-picture1298-v2-3.jpg

Another thing that was bugging Elizabeth is her coach telling her how excited she was to be choreographing this other girls routine which she interpreted as that she wasn't excited to do her routine. Put that together with Elizabeth seeing her moves in the other girls routine I can start to see why Elizabeth is starting to complain.

Elizabeth then complained to her friend in the locker room who mentioned some things to another coach who then said something to her coach. So now hopefully we are past -no, we are not changing gyms - no, we are not getting someone else to do her choreography we want you two to keep at it - and can get this done already. Man, I can't wait to just be a spectator in the stands rooting the girls on. All this drama is starting to wear on me.

Hi all

I just wanted to thank everyone, and especially gymlawmom and gymjourenymom, for all your help and advice. It looks like we are on the right track now and elizabeth is happy with the changes being made to her routine. It was a good night which started with her finding her lucky leotard in a storage locker at the gym! She lost it in level 5 and was super happy to have it back....and it still fits!

Tonight she starts choreography on beam, wish us luck! Hopefully I won't have to start another thread about that:)

Glad things are coming together. For what its worth, it is usually less time and angst over a beam routine than floor since you don't have to worry about music. While the choreographer for my gymmie's floor routine did not like the music picked for her and isn't sure how the routine will look, the beam routine is much more playing to her strengths and a little to her personality. I was pleasantly surprised when she came home and was excited about doing her new beam routine(just the dance stuff) over and over.

Its a weird mental transition from compulsory to optional for both the girls and parents. As a compulsory you are so used to learning a set routine with no option to change anything. As an optional there is the chance to put in/pull out skills, poses etc. that don't seem to work. Just takes a few meets to get used to that way of thinking. Also floor seems to be the most exciting part of optional gymnastics, but seems to be the biggest set up for disappointment. I think every girl has visions of what her floor routine will be like and when it doesn't turn out that way, its a big downer.

Hope she gets over the injuries---we're going through it too---low back and right knee.

Well, I was just going to post that I thought the music was awesome, I listened to it the other day but didn't get a chance to respond. I can totally visulaize your daughter doing a beautiful routine to this music, knowing what a artistic dancer she is. I am now reading all these other posts that all hell has broken out getting it choreographed, ect... and have no advice, but just wanted to add I hope it all works out. I am sure it must be difficult to try to squeeze in all those skills she's been dreaming about into such a short routine. My DD is only a L5 (8) and she is always on Youtube watching the Olympians and planning her own routine/ music for that "someday" that is about to happen for your DD! It will be a great season for her when she irons out all the details and finds her fit with the music and choreography. I am sure things will take lots of tweeking but once she "owns" it she will reap the rewards!

I'm pleased to hear Elizabeth is happier with the floor choreography now! Good luck with beam, it's usually not as stressful to choreograph as floor. Hope it's smooth sailing from here on out & she's excited about competing once again. I think finding the lucky leo was a good sign:D!

Hi all

I just wanted to thank everyone, and especially gymlawmom and gymjourenymom, for all your help and advice. It looks like we are on the right track now and elizabeth is happy with the changes being made to her routine. It was a good night which started with her finding her lucky leotard in a storage locker at the gym! She lost it in level 5 and was super happy to have it back....and it still fits!

Tonight she starts choreography on beam, wish us luck! Hopefully I won't have to start another thread about that:)

What a great day for her--finding the lucky leo AND getting a floor routine she's happy with. Glad all is well in her world now :)

I so hope to see Lizzy as a prima ballerina one day---she is an amazingly beautiful dancer and person. I wish them the best of luck!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back