WAG Jade Carey's Amazing Journey to Worlds

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tomtnt

Proud Parent
Doesn't look like she did the whole Hopes/Jr. Elite/Sr. Elite route. Competed at level 10 last year and is a 1st year Sr. Elite this year and is now on her way to Worlds!

Looking at her scores, she did 2 years at level 9 and was barely breaks 9.0 on Bars during her first couple years at level 10.

Jade Carey is an inspiration to all the late bloomers.

Doesn't look like she did the whole Hopes/Jr. Elite/Sr. Elite route. Competed at level 10 last year and is a 1st year Sr. Elite this year and is now on her way to Worlds!

Looking at her scores, she did 2 years at level 9 and was barely breaks 9.0 on Bars during her first couple years at level 10.

Jade Carey is an inspiration to all the late bloomers.
I think she was noticed by the national staff for her vaultung and floor ability. As an elite she is only competing those 2 events.

They said on TV her dad was her coach. Not sure how any of that would work.
Valerie Liukin was Nastia's coach. Really it's a person who is a coach and it so happens that one of his gymnasts is his daughter.

I think she was noticed by the national staff for her vaultung and floor ability. As an elite she is only competing those 2 events.

Curious, do s she still need qualifying scores on the other apparatus? Also the compulsory scoring requirements only apply to the events you intend to compete as a sr elite?

She's actually been competing vault, beam, and floor as an elite.

@tomtnt Seniors can qualify international elite at an optional qualifier with a two-event (26.500), three-event, (39.000) or four-event score (51.000). For compulsory score they need a 17.500 (2 events), 26.250 (3 events), or 35.00 (4 events). They can only compete on those event which they have qualified to compete on.

I am so excited Jade is going to worlds! She is amazing! It’s honestly a breath of fresh air to see a kid who didn’t have to commit to Elite so young, gives hope (and less pressure) to younger girls in gymnastics who can continue to follow their dreams even though they’re not in Hopes by a certain age.

And please don’t kick me for saying this, but I really hope someone helps Jade get that hair tamed down, her hair falling out all over the place was incredibly distracting. And it just looked sloppy. AquaNet it up, girl!!!!

I hope we'll get to see her at World's in a couple of weeks at the floor finals. My DD and I loved her floor routine at P&Gs I think. And nary a wolf turn to be seen! She's an inspiration to my kid who rocks vault and floor but struggles on bars.

Bastia has always says in the gym he’s her coach, everywhere else he’s her dad.
It works fine for some families :)

Everyone here screams don't talk gymnastics with your kiddos, how can a parent be your coach without applying extreme pressure? I guess it isn't a hard fast rule and does work for some?

Just my opinions below but feel that I should explain my point of view with some points of interest I could not overlook:

She totes her father's line. Just like during the P & G's when she refused to acknowledge girls had been take advantage of during their gymnastics careers.

Her canned story, she told it two nights in a row, how he was her dad at home and after this event, they may go to dinner. Blah.

She did a fundraiser with DD's old gym, for charity, but she refused to show up unless more than $10,000.oo was raised. I can't speak to if this number was 100% true but I lost all respect.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVK_7WchqE6/?hl=en&taken-by=gyshrewsbury

Everyone here screams don't talk gymnastics with your kiddos, how can a parent be your coach without applying extreme pressure? I guess it isn't a hard fast rule and does work for some?

Just my opinions below but feel that I should explain my point of view with some points of interest I could not overlook:

She totes her father's line. Just like during the P & G's when she refused to acknowledge girls had been take advantage of during their gymnastics careers.

Her canned story, she told it two nights in a row, how he was her dad at home and after this event, they may go to dinner. Blah.

She did a fundraiser with DD's old gym, for charity, but she refused to show up unless more than $10,000.oo was raised. I can't speak to if this number was 100% true but I lost all respect.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVK_7WchqE6/?hl=en&taken-by=gyshrewsbury
Ok I used her as one example, but there are more. I too hated her comment regarding the allegations, don’t get me wrong there.

And with the charity thing, I totally understand where she is coming from. It’s almost like an incentive to be there. Plus, if she attended every charity event she was invited to regardless of how much was donated, she’d have no time to do anything else. She’s a public figure/celebrity now and has to live her life that way....otherwise people will take advantage.

Chellsie Memmel was coached by her dad. There are also MANY young up and coming gymnasts who are currently coached by their parents or at least are in the stream at their parents' gym: Amanda Borden's daughter, Maggie Haney's daughter, Kim Zmeskal's daughter, The Landi's daughter... it will be interesting to see as all of these girls progress. Point is, it's not unusual at all.

Elite is a huge investment of time, money and resources for a club/business. I remember someone pointing out a few years ago that most Elites came from gyms where the HC was the owner. Because as an owner I think you have to have a little ego wrapped up in having an elite athlete to deal with the negative impacts on the business and program as a whole. So the fact that there is a good number of athletes coached by their parents is not surprising either, their child is worth the investment to them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back