MAG JD?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

cttay217

Proud Parent
Does anyone have a DS competing JD or have any familiarity with this program? DS is 13 and just finished first year of L6. He struggles greatly with mushroom and this has really held him back. His coach approached us to tell us he would be starting a JD team program for the boys next year that are ages 12+ and would like DS to be a part of this group, which would include 4 others ( skillwise, he is in the middle of the pack of this group of boys) . His coach feels that it will help him continue to grow as a gymnast and could make pommel become more of an optional event for him. We do not currently have any boys competing JD in our gym nor I have seen it at any competitions so I am not really familiar with it- I know it new this year and is less competitive (which is fine), but trying to figure out how else if differs from doing another year of L6 or L7? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

We have several guys competing JD this season. Some are like your son -- JO gymnasts who don't really want more time in compulsories but aren't ready for L8 or L9. Others are very advanced rec gymnasts who want a chance to compete. Thus far, the program has been very successful for both groups. The range of skills you see is pretty impressive, and it's clear that some of the guys in the program are working hard to gain skills and move forward. We've had a few guys transition back to JO as they have gained skills, but some will be in JD for at least another year or two, continuing to train and develop. I'd say if your son is going to have a real cohort, it could be a lot of fun and way less frustrating than trying to do another year of L6 or L7. With JD having the pommels on the horse, he will have more options on that event as well. Chalk me up as a fan of the program!

Its really small here but seems to be a good option for kids like your son (and possibly my youngest if he cant get his L7 stuff this summer...he's 12 and a very average L6 after 3 years - growing too fast for his own good).

My older boy chose not to do JD but rather just train as he was a successful L8 last year but would have had to go L10 due to age and felt like he couldn't make it - he dropped back his hours and put more time into school and music instead. It actually looked at state that there were several kids just like him who did go to L10 he would have been just fine, but this is what his coach and he decided. I know in some bigger regions there seem to be JD kids competing up to L9-10 skills while not ready for full AA - so there may be a real variety out there.

I think whatever keeps the kids, esp at puberty/growing age, in the sport and feeling good about themselves, is good and hopefully that's what your coach is looking to do.

D did JD at the beginning of the season and our gym has a large JD team. It has been great for the boys that are coming from 5-7 and aren't quite ready for 8/9. They have really thrived. D was doing 9/10 skills and it was fine for him as well. Huge range, and they are looking at some different configurations for next year. With a team of kiddos all working with him, I really think he could like it!

Our gym loves JD! We have a huge JD team - many coming from L6 like your son, but some from L5, L7, and L8 (who are older and therefore out of age for L9, so they are in JD while they work toward L10).

Multiple moms have told me "My son would have quit if it weren't for JD". Their boys did not want to be a 13 year old L6 again, or limited by specific skills in L7. In JD, they can pick and choose their routines to their strengths, so it's fine if skills in one event lags another. We have a JD boy doing an L9-level routine on floor because he is great at tumbling, while his high bar is L6/7 because it took him a while to get his giants. If he had competed L7, he would not have been able to 'upgrade' his floor routine and compete that. Adding the tougher skills on one or more events as the athlete gets them competition ready is very rewarding, and helps him progress better than competing only basic skills (if he is capable of more). It is also more fun and motivating.

I also see the new 'tribe' (or "cohort"mentioned above) of JD boys being a big advantage. There are A LOT Of boys who previously fell in the cracks between compulsories and optionals (often due to the sadly narrow age limit rules), and also maybe didn't love competing mostly against 8 year olds as a 14 year old or whatnot. Now these boys have their own legitimate place where they can compete against each other and bond as a team of teens.

So I'm also a big fan of JD!

Only one potential 'downside' (not really, but to be aware of) is the way scoring works. Basically, an athlete chooses 6 (I believe it is 6) skills to put in his routine. Often the highest scoring routines are the most basic routines, because as soon as you put in more than 6 skills, or more complicated skills, you invite the possibility of more deductions. There is no 'bonus' for putting in more complex skills. Our gym knows this, but still encourages boys to put in harder skills as soon as they are compete-able (even though there is risk of more deductions, lower score). So a very clean JD routine that has skills equivalent to L6 will often beat a clean-ish routine that has L9 skills in it, for example. Our boys seem to understand this and not be deterred. At this age, they are more proud of landing a tough routine than getting a podium spot for what would be (for them) a watered down routine. But just something to be aware of.

JD sounds like a great fit for your son, and I'll bet he will have a blast.

Maybe you and your son can attend a meet, maybe regionals, and watch the JD session to get a better idea of how it works in competition? How it will work at your gym as far as practice time and training focus will be up to your son's coach.

We had some JD at our gym, and it's been great for them. Some moved on to their respective levels later in the year, some stayed JD the whole season. It does help when there is more than just one doing it. And it's a great way to keep the boys in the sport.

Is JD the boy's version of Xcel? Trying to learn a bit more about boys gymnastics

Only in part -

Differences:
- Women's Xcel is a whole separate stream with different competitions than JO. Mens JD is simply another division (level) within JO competitions.
- Largely, women in Xcel are not looking to transition to JO at upper levels (some exceptions with clubs who use Xcel a bit differently in their programs). Most, though, will continue in Xcel throughout their career. In Mens JD, a large number of athletes ARE looking to compete in JD only temporarily until they acquire the skills/readiness to be a Level 8, 9, or 10. There are stricter age limitations on Mens levels 8,9,and 10 compared to women, so men often compete JD if they don't meet these age bands. Also an injured athlete may compete JD as a stop-gap while rebuilding.
- Xcel is a complete program for all ages. JD is only for ages 12-18.

Similarities:
- Both Womens Xcel and Mens JD routines are constructed as 'open optional', meaning there is more flexibility in creating routines rather than a stricter set of requirements. This permits athletes who may be stronger on one event vs another to still construct and compete routines without composition deductions, and to have competitive success against peers.
- Both Womens Xcel and Mens JD are less 'competitive' in one sense compared to the women's JO or Mens Levels 8,9,10, in that the top athletes are largely not doing Xcel or JD. This lets an athlete compete with others of a similar skill/readiness category, and therefore have more chance at performing well (medaling,etc) comparatively.
- Though as mentioned above, a large number of men will use JD as a 'gap filler' for a year or two while they prepare to move to JO level 8, 9, or 10, there is also the opportunity to stay in JD throughout high school and compete in this division - in other words to have a 'JD career' and never move to L9/10. This part is similar to the experience of Xcel.

Does that help?

Only in part -

Differences:
- Women's Xcel is a whole separate stream with different competitions than JO. Mens JD is simply another division (level) within JO competitions.
- Largely, women in Xcel are not looking to transition to JO at upper levels (some exceptions with clubs who use Xcel a bit differently in their programs). Most, though, will continue in Xcel throughout their career. In Mens JD, a large number of athletes ARE looking to compete in JD only temporarily until they acquire the skills/readiness to be a Level 8, 9, or 10. There are stricter age limitations on Mens levels 8,9,and 10 compared to women, so men often compete JD if they don't meet these age bands. Also an injured athlete may compete JD as a stop-gap while rebuilding.
- Xcel is a complete program for all ages. JD is only for ages 12-18.

Similarities:
- Both Womens Xcel and Mens JD routines are constructed as 'open optional', meaning there is more flexibility in creating routines rather than a stricter set of requirements. This permits athletes who may be stronger on one event vs another to still construct and compete routines without composition deductions, and to have competitive success against peers.
- Both Womens Xcel and Mens JD are less 'competitive' in one sense compared to the women's JO or Mens Levels 8,9,10, in that the top athletes are largely not doing Xcel or JD. This lets an athlete compete with others of a similar skill/readiness category, and therefore have more chance at performing well (medaling,etc) comparatively.
- Though as mentioned above, a large number of men will use JD as a 'gap filler' for a year or two while they prepare to move to JO level 8, 9, or 10, there is also the opportunity to stay in JD throughout high school and compete in this division - in other words to have a 'JD career' and never move to L9/10. This part is similar to the experience of Xcel.

Does that help?

Yes, i might still not be an expert, but i know what is is now

It's quite new, and was explained well above. The closest comparison between girls and boys is that it's like Xcel in that it is meant to be a more recreation level of competition, and is optionals like Xcel. It is hard to compare even JO between boys and girls as they vary from the start (with the boys having bonuses in their compulsory levels and junior elite at starting at level 8

I'm glad to see JD working out as a good thing. I was dubious when it was introduced, and I know our team went from having a pretty good mix of levels to just 1-2 kids in each level 6-8 and a ton in JD. Levels 6+ compete at a different time from us so I haven't gotten much of the scuttlebutt from our team. Sounds like there might be some snags, but overall shaping up as a good way to keep guys in the sport if they aren't the next Olympian-in-training.

Because of his age, my son is considering JD for next year (he "had to skip an age group" like others with birthdays during the school year and thus will be 12 next season). Can anyone point to a resource or even their videos of sample JD routines? He's trying to envision what a JD routine might contain (like which 6 skills you put on the floor, etc) and I can't seem to find any examples for him to look at and perhaps see himself in. I appreciate the help!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back