WAG JO Code changes 2018-2022

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I agree with this. And I know I said it earlier, but I do not understand why tsuk and yuri timers have to be done to the feet instead of the back.

ETA: I just think teaching actual progressions that will lead to the correct shapes in the upper levels makes more sense.
teaching, or drilling, to the back is fine, but why even have a vault event as a judged event if everyone is landing on their backs? My dd was one of those who got a slight concussion from landing on her back at an invitational on a hard mat and hitting her head. I am already dreading judging the timers after sitting through the class at Congress, I couldn't imagine the greater nightmare of having to judge body positions ready to flip, but not flipping, and landing on their backs. The whole thing gives me such anxiety already. I'd opt out of vault if it were allowed....let the ones who love vault take it. :p

Hey y’all, now that some of you have been to congresses, and the books are all out and coaches have had time to study them, what’s the general feeling on the changes?
Several people in my neck of the woods have been saying that artistry, dance, polish will be a bigger focus going into the next season.
I know several gyms that are adding to the ballet component, and although keeping the skills, they have said they will increase the focus on perfect jumps, turns, leaps, and all things graceful....
Anyone have any opinions or insight?

Reactions: sce
Could someone point me in the direction of the new vault table height minimum for Levels 6/7 (115 cm)? You don't have to post the actual COP page if it is not available publicly, but I am curious where in the code that information can be found.... Was not able to find it myself. Thanks.

Could someone point me in the direction of the new vault table height minimum for Levels 6/7 (115 cm)? You don't have to post the actual COP page if it is not available publicly, but I am curious where in the code that information can be found.... Was not able to find it myself. Thanks.[/QUO
I have the iBooks version, its is on Page 78 (Difficulty Regulations section). Vault table min 115 > max 135 cm

Is there some logical reason for implementing the vault changes at L6 instead of L7? I thought L6 was supposed to be the optional equivalent of L5. The new vault requirements seem to make it much, much more difficult. I am having a hard time imagining my 4'5" kid (or most of her bigger, faster teammates) raising the table and landing on her feet on a huge stack of mats.

Is there some logical reason for implementing the vault changes at L6 instead of L7? I thought L6 was supposed to be the optional equivalent of L5. The new vault requirements seem to make it much, much more difficult. I am having a hard time imagining my 4'5" kid (or most of her bigger, faster teammates) raising the table and landing on her feet on a huge stack of mats.
I believe level 6 was supposed to be for the kids who had mastered level 5 but not quite level 7 yet. The jump from 5 to 7 is quite a big one

My probably repeating 8 almost 12 year old came home from practice and said the coach told them they need a Salto (back tuck) for beam. She has a bhs/bhs and ro/bt dismount. She can't go back to 7 as she had a really good year at 8. Is this true? She is working hard thru her growth spurt and this is a huge blow if it is true
My girls are stressed about this same thing. It’s nuts how many changes were made!

I think it's not a requirement, but may be a compositional deduction.

It’s not even. For no deduction on “acro up to level” in level 8, gymnasts needs an acro series with two B flight skills, and two more acro skills (one of which is a B).

A back tuck, pike, or LOSO is a “C.” A level 8 can do one “C” acro for B credit, but they certainly don’t have to.

My girls are stressed about this same thing. It’s nuts how many changes were made!
They make major changes to optional levels every 4 years. This is the 1st year of the next 4 years. All optional levels and some Xcel levels have undergone changes. All new Codes were printed, all new testing for EVERY judge is required. Mark your calendars for 4 years from now, it will happen again.

It’s not even. For no deduction on “acro up to level” in level 8, gymnasts needs an acro series with two B flight skills, and two more acro skills (one of which is a B).

A back tuck, pike, or LOSO is a “C.” A level 8 can do one “C” acro for B credit, but they certainly don’t have to.
I was going to say this. It's probably a gym requirement, or maybe they misunderstand the new requirements.

Personally, I am totally a fan of having timers in competition, and I love that all three major vault families are represented. I think it is a great bridge to Level 8 vaulting, rather than just doing a front handspring for four levels!

But there’s a problem… if a gymnast is training front handspring - front tuck vaults and has been doing the timer for them all season in competition, then why are front - front vaults not allowed in Level 8?!?!?! It is the most ridiculous thing! Why allow timers for two levels, and then difficulty-restrict the actual vault the timer is for in the next level? :eek: o_O :confused: :mad:

And yes, I know someone will say, “it’s because of safety.” That, however, is just not a good enough reason.

Personally, I am totally a fan of having timers in competition, and I love that all three major vault families are represented. I think it is a great bridge to Level 8 vaulting, rather than just doing a front handspring for four levels!

But there’s a problem… if a gymnast is training front handspring - front tuck vaults and has been doing the timer for them all season in competition, then why are front - front vaults not allowed in Level 8?!?!?! It is the most ridiculous thing! Why allow timers for two levels, and then difficulty-restrict the actual vault the timer is for in the next level? :eek: o_O :confused: :mad:

And yes, I know someone will say, “it’s because of safety.” That, however, is just not a good enough reason.
I dont mind the timers, BUT I think that it should be optional to do them.
When the gymnast gets to L8, the FHS is a vault option again (without the arch the timer wants) ... and so it 1/2 on-1/2 off, etc.
In our gym, we don't have a pit, so we don't flip ... we twist. L6 and L7 actually went from several choices on vault to 3 choices.

So, if my girls do bhs bhs as their series what else so the need acro wise (in plain English please) to get full credit (no “up to level” deductions). Thanks!

I’m assuming level 8 beam here? For level 8 beam they need the following special requirements.

1. A series of two acro skills, one with flight - the BHS BHS you mentioned fills this.
2. A leap or jump that reaches a 180 split - switch leaps are a very common way to get this in level 8 and up but other common things would be a split jump, split leap, straddle jump etc.
3. A full turn
4. An ‘A’ dismount

These are the minimum requirements for a base level 8 routine. If they are missing one of these it is .5 off the start value of the routine.

Up to level are deductions not start value and are what are considered an up to level routine. The following is what you would need to not receive any up to level deduction at all. As the difficulty goes down the deduction goes up. They have it detailed out for .05, .1, .15 and a full .2 deductions.

Acro:
-Series of two acro, both with flight - BHS BHS works and will be most common
-Two additional acro, one being a B - In level 8 the most common way to meet this would be with a back tuck and a roundoff into a dismount. But you will also see front walkovers, front handsprings etc.

Dance:
-Min 2B and 1A
A split jump is a B
A switch leap is a C, but counts as a B in level 8
Beat jumps, tuck jumps, sissones and split leaps are all As

Dismount:
B acro directly connected to A dismount
Or B dismount
Most commonly you will see a roundoff layout or more dismount or a front layout off the end of the beam is a isolated B dismount.

Hope this helps!

I’m assuming level 8 beam here? For level 8 beam they need the following special requirements.

1. A series of two acro skills, one with flight - the BHS BHS you mentioned fills this.
2. A leap or jump that reaches a 180 split - switch leaps are a very common way to get this in level 8 and up but other common things would be a split jump, split leap, straddle jump etc.
3. A full turn
4. An ‘A’ dismount

These are the minimum requirements for a base level 8 routine. If they are missing one of these it is .5 off the start value of the routine.

Up to level are deductions not start value and are what are considered an up to level routine. The following is what you would need to not receive any up to level deduction at all. As the difficulty goes down the deduction goes up. They have it detailed out for .05, .1, .15 and a full .2 deductions.

Acro:
-Series of two acro, both with flight - BHS BHS works and will be most common
-Two additional acro, one being a B - In level 8 the most common way to meet this would be with a back tuck and a roundoff into a dismount. But you will also see front walkovers, front handsprings etc.

Dance:
-Min 2B and 1A
A split jump is a B
A switch leap is a C, but counts as a B in level 8
Beat jumps, tuck jumps, sissones and split leaps are all As

Dismount:
B acro directly connected to A dismount
Or B dismount
Most commonly you will see a roundoff layout or more dismount or a front layout off the end of the beam is a isolated B dismount.

Hope this helps!
Split leap with a straight leg from the start is now a B.

What better reason could there be? This post is very naive in my opinion. I’m not sure they should even be allowing front fronts in level 9 at this point. And I have personally never met someone who could land a front front safely that couldn’t do a tsuk.

What better reason could there be? This post is very naive in my opinion. I’m not sure they should even be allowing front fronts in level 9 at this point. And I have personally never met someone who could land a front front safely that couldn’t do a tsuk.
Some gymnasts dont like going backwards. I know a girl who competed a front front for her high school because it meant not flipping backwards. She also did front acro on beam (and side) and on floor. She made it to state as an individual for vault.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back