WAG JO National Team Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AV24

Proud Parent
I've done a search and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Some of the girls from our gym are competing at the JO LV 10 nationals this weekend, and I noticed that the top scoring girls will be named to the national team. How is that team different from the USAG elite national team? Do they have extra competitions, or is it more of a prestige thing? I have no dog in this fight, I'm just a curious newbie spectator. :D

Can you link to that piece of information. The National Tea is very small and select and most L10's do not have the skills to be elite. DO you mean the superteams?

This is on gymnastike:

What’s at stake?
The best level 10 gymnasts in the country are battling for national titles in the all around as well as all four individual events in each of the eight age division. The top four all around finishers in each age division earn a spot on the JO National team and receive invitations to attend the JO National team training camp at the Karolyi Ranch.

I just noticed through that link that under National Teams, they have Senior, Junior, and JO categories. So it's definitely a different situation from the elites. I think it must be more of a prestige thing like TOPS - where you are invited to camps at the ranch, but that's it.

Yes, that is what I think it is. It is not National Team it is Junior Olympic National Team. Though kids have gone directly from L10 Nats to Elite, but it is a rare thing.

It is just a national training camp. It doesn't go beyond that in terms of more competitions, etc. But it's a great opportunity to work with top level coaches and if a gymnast is looking to go elite, I would think it is a great way to get noticed! For those who don't get in the top 4, they are still eligible for other national and regional training camps.

Yes, that is what I think it is. It is not National Team it is Junior Olympic National Team. Though kids have gone directly from L10 Nats to Elite, but it is a rare thing.

Actually, according to the USAG article, there have been quite a few National Team members who also competed at JO Nationals:
"The U.S. Junior Olympic National Championships is one of the national championships of USA Gymnastics, the sport’s national governing body in the United States. Many Junior Olympic champions have gone on to make the U.S. National Team and represent the United States in international competition and/or to compete in collegiate gymnastics. Many of the country’s top gymnasts are former participants in the Junior Olympic program, including 2012 Olympic team champions Jordyn Wieber and Kyla Ross, 2009 World vault champion Kayla Williams, 2008 Olympic team silver-medalists Shawn Johnson and Samantha Peszek, and 2004 Olympic team silver-medalist Courtney McCool, to name a few."
I think I read somewhere else that Aly Raisman and McKayla Maroney also competed at L10 Nationals before going elite.

Awesome, I have seen some of the swag various regions gave the girls. Great stuff. It is nice to make them feel so special.

Though I did hear that they are keeping all the girls behind a curtain during awards and only medals winners come out to get a medal and be cheered. SO the non winning girls stay hidden. Odd.

I do hope that was misinformation.

I also think that the JO national team allows you to compete in open international meets. I think the team went to Elite Gym Massilia (or something like that) in France a year or two ago.

Awesome, I have seen some of the swag various regions gave the girls. Great stuff. It is nice to make them feel so special.

Though I did hear that they are keeping all the girls behind a curtain during awards and only medals winners come out to get a medal and be cheered. SO the non winning girls stay hidden. Odd.

I THINK that is what they do every year (but I could be wrong)... I know i have seen video of an awards ceremony like that before... but not 100% positive where it was.

We have been to a few meets where they do this. It just speeds the awards along because they get the girls lined up ahead of time and march them out - sometimes with their medals already on.

They only brought the winners out on Day 1 (Jr A & B/Sr A & B) and the rest were out in a different room...on Day 2 (Jr/Sr C & D) , the girls sat by region in the crowd and winners (including my daughter!!) were called up from the audience...that seemed more inclusive and allowed the girls to cheer their teammates.

This same format (of only bringing winners out) was used at Easterns in 2009 that was held in Tupelo, MS so maybe it's a Mississippi thing...

What percent of competitors at this level get awards? I know in my state it is 50% ..... Can't imagine that high a percentage is used at nationals and NIT!

I also think that the JO national team allows you to compete in open international meets. I think the team went to Elite Gym Massilia (or something like that) in France a year or two ago.
Some regions have an "All-Star" team (or something similar) which is comprised of the top level 10 competitors within the region regardless of age. This team is separate from the JO National Team and often includes extra perks- leos, warm-ups, training camps, and sometimes a trip to an open elite meet or training camp internationally. I know Regions 5 and 7 do this, not sure about others.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back