Parents JO rules moving down?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So we are considering a gym move. A mom from our current team mentioned the possibility of another gym moving my DD down a level since their standards are higher than USAG. They require fairly high scores during season in order to move up. If my child competed level 4 this year, is it even possible for them to move her down to level 3 for next season? I'd be completely ok with a repeat level, but I think she would feel defeated if they move her down. For some reason I didn't think this was allowed. Thanks for your feedback

From the USAG handbook:
1680902620122.png

I can't see a gym jumping through the petition hoops and forcing a girl to go back, if they accepted her on the team it would be at her current level.

The other mom sounds like sour grapes to me or jealousy that your gymnast would be accepted onto a team other than the one her daughter is on.

From the USAG handbook:
View attachment 8630

I can't see a gym jumping through the petition hoops and forcing a girl to go back, if they accepted her on the team it would be at her current level.

The other mom sounds like sour grapes to me or jealousy that your gymnast would be accepted onto a team other than the one her daughter is on.
Yes, it sounds like sour grapes, or "just trying to be helpful!" :rolleyes: to me. The gym may have her repeat the level but after competing a full season of 4 will not petition her back down to 3. I've never, ever heard of a gym doing that.

The only time we ever moved a kid down was after the covid closures...we had one who had competed platinum in the abbreviated 19-20 season but with all the time off and a growth spurt, when we came back to compete in 2021 she had lost her kip and was just really struggling so she competed gold in the few meets we had that year. I would agree that a new gym might want her to repeat, or may even say she's not a good fit for them, but I would find it highly unlike that they'd move her down.

Yes, it sounds like sour grapes, or "just trying to be helpful!" :rolleyes: to me. The gym may have her repeat the level but after competing a full season of 4 will not petition her back down to 3. I've never, ever heard of a gym doing that.
Or it could be something spread around to deter families from leaving.

Based on your other thread, I don't think it's a bad idea to look around. I am okay with gyms having move up requirements - but from the further information you provided it seems like they are not training the athletes in a way that makes that achievable.

You won't make gymnasts better by requiring a 36, they can only compete as well as they are trained. They get better from the day to day training - and this aspect of your current gym seems questionable on paper.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back