Parents JO to T&T or Excel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD is a 2nd year L4 who did not meet the mobility score to move to L5 (by tenths of a point). Now considering moving to T&T or excel. I don't know anything about those programs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thx

I don‘t know anything about t&t. I can tell you that xcel usually has less hours, and is less competitive. The mobility scores are 31.0 for every level except bronze to silver.

I don‘t know anything about t&t. I can tell you that xcel usually has less hours, and is less competitive. The mobility scores are 31.0 for every level except bronze to silver.
"Less competitive" could mean many things, but in my experience, there are some VERY serious, high-scoring Xcel teams/gyms in my area. Would they score similarly if they were JO/DP? I can't say. As mentioned earlier in the thread, Xcel is a great option, but there can be a lot of variation in how the program is implemented.

If your dd likes bars, beam and vault, I would check out the Xcel program at gyms in your area. Different gyms will have a different approach to the program so I would find out how it works at the gyms you're looking at. It's a great program because the routines can be customized to work with each girl's strengths in all Xcel levels. Unlike JO/DP, where customized routines start at L6. The Xcel program is supposed to be lower hours and provide more flexibility. We have found Xcel to be just as competitive as JO. At my dd's meets this season there have been 12-16 girls in her age group at each meet.

I don't know anything about t&t. There are none in my area so that was never an option when my dd switched out of JO.

"Less competitive" could mean many things, but in my experience, there are some VERY serious, high-scoring Xcel teams/gyms in my area. Would they score similarly if they were JO/DP? I can't say. As mentioned earlier in the thread, Xcel is a great option, but there can be a lot of variation in how the program is implemented.
Yes! You’re right. I’m sorry, bad choice of words. I meant that I find Xcel to be less intense because of the fewer hours and more flexible routines. That is just my experience, but I know it’s entirely possible for an Xcel gym to be just as intense as a JO gym. Whichever program the gym or gymnast chooses doesn’t change their dedication, seriousness, or intensity.

My daughter had an Xcel Gold teammate who strengthened her skills to the point that she approached the coaches about moving over to JO/DP. She scored out of 4 & 5 and then started in L6. She previously had done silver and gold for Xcel.

If your gymnast chooses to switch to Xcel, is there an option to switch back to DP if she gets to that point?

She may find that she loves the flexibility of Xcel!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back