Parents JO, xcel, gap ??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is in a pre-team program at a gym that just announced that they’re dissolving their JO program and training for Xcel only. They had JO and Xcel, but few athletes at Level 7/8/9. The advanced pre-team group will now be Xcel Bronze, and will include some really young girls who used to stay in JO pre-team until Level 3 or 4. They said they are trying to maximize revenue from the recreational programs which subsidize the competitive programs, which makes sense since the gym has barely any optional girls, but it is disappointing. Anyway, I’ve really appreciated reading these experiences with xcel for younger kids. It will be an interesting year and I’m not sure what girls will do who want to stick with JO training. We don’t live in an area with a ton of options and I can’t imagine there is much space at the more competitive gyms.

If they are keeping the same coaches, you may not see much of a change except a slow bleed of some girls from Platinum or Diamond over to gyms with JO programs. The quality of coaching is what makes a program what it is no matter which stream they compete.

My daughter left a gym that kept them in preteam until level 4 and went to a gym that competed Bronze and I know it's unnecessary, but competing those levels is a lot of fun. :D Good luck!

At least two gyms in the area have cancelled their JO programs. The program coaches are apparently moving to two other gyms in the area. A lot of girls from one of the affected gyms has been trying out at my daughter’s gym. I’m sure some will move here.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back