Judging - D score

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmagic

Proud Parent
Hi

Just been looking at the Voluntary results and was looking at the D scores, so went and searched for some info on how the judges calculate the scores.

From my limited understanding on judging, the E Panel judge the Execution score. All Gymnast start with an E score of 10, so a perfect routine would score 10 and deductions are made from 10, such as -0.3 for small error, -0.5 for a medium error and -1.0 for a large error such as a fall. So that’s basically the E Panel ( Execution ) and it stems from the old perfect 10 routines from Korbut and Comaneci's days.

And the A panel judge and consider the difficulty of the routine and award extra points for the difficulty of the routine. So the D score ( Difficult Value DV ) is then added to the E score. So the total score is then E panel + A panel. So A panel is the people who consider the difficult value (DV).

So when a coach registers a gymnast for a competition, does the D panel know before hand what the difficulty of the routine is that the gymnast is about to perform ?

Or does the A panel just decide what the Difficulty Value is whilst the gymnast is performing ?.

And at British Final you would have 5 Judges on the E panel and two Judges on the A panel ?

So when a coach registers a gymnast for a competition, does the D panel know before hand what the difficulty of the routine is that the gymnast is about to perform ?
Or does the A panel just decide what the Difficulty Value is whilst the gymnast is performing ?
You don't know in advance what difficulties are going to be performed.
Only exception is vault (because it goes so fast, it helps to know what is going to be performed) : in international competitions they flash the vault number, in smaller, local meets they just ask the coach/gymnast. But even if the gymnast performs a vault that has nothing to do with what she said she would do, the judges judge what they see, i.e. the vault that was actually peformed, no deduction taken and no question asked.

I don't aswer your other questions because I'm not from the UK and I don't want to tell you something wrong.

The D panel just decides when they watch the routine.

There are usually 2 D judges and 4 E judges at a national final. You drop the highest and lowest E scores and average the 2 middle ones.
D judges usually judge the E score too although I'm not sure about that at national finals.

Hi Jenny, thanks for your response, that is also good to know regarding the averaging of the middle two scores.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back