Parents Judging harder in some states or regions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are not in one of those gyms but I would guess that those parents are saying to themselves "why do gyms allow their girls to compete at levels they clearly are not ready to compete? If you can't consistently stick a routine, you have no business competing it." I think it really is just a different set of beliefs in what does "ready for competition" mean.

yes - first world problems...

DD was recently at a meet where she was called up and awarded medals in events that she didn't compete! - because they went out all places... crazy

perhaps if you are talking compulsory where a program may drill the routines forever to perfection (Why?! I have no idea) and do no uptraining. But very few gyms obtaining 37+ consistently in optionals are in this predicament. Those girls getting 37+ typically have the skill set for the next level. Perhaps not enough to get a 37 but certainly to get 35+. At some point, those gymnasts were "held back" from competing so that they would go into the next level capable of earning 37+ - whether it was in pre-team where they trained entry level skills/routines or they repeated a lower level to give them the edge - train up, compete down.

It is what it is. just a difference in coaching philosophy. I think it is so noticeable because most gyms don't have this belief, so when parents and gymnasts come across it at meets, they don't understand it.

Having my dd go up the ranks, I have come to realize that it often washes out after several years of level 10, if the gymnast can get that far and has developed good form along the way. However, most gyms recognize that not everyone is going to level 10 and they want their girls (and boys) to enjoy their time in the gym, feel success by learning new skills and routines, even if they are not medal worthy. The motivation and fulfillment doesn't come from the podium at the meets but from skill development in the gym.
I must agree with this! My DD told me she would rather compete newer skills than get medals. She is a 35-36 kind of girl these days. But I would rather her feel successful and happy vs another medal. I am not dis~ing any gym. We don't go routine crazy so some deductions are for very minor things.

While I agree that scoring can vary by state and region and that all gyms have their own approach and strategy to moving up. Which is good -- allows each family to find the best place for their child & family. However, I would caution that a slowdown in progression should be expected and planned for around L6/L7. The skills become harder and more dangerous if performed before they are ready. Bad habits can also set it. The skills at 8/9/10 are much harder and much scarier -- particularly if the skills at the lower levels are not solid.

I guess all I am saying is that sometimes a well-timed repeat at L6 or 7 is so very helpful. Allows the foundation skills to become much more solid, competition performance and results much more solid and lets them enter the truly challenging and difficult levels with a lot more confidence. If your child isn't on the elite path, there truly is no rush. It can be a bit of a race to nowhere that often ends in frustration and fears/blocks. Also expect an ebb and flow of their skills and progression. As they continue to grow physically and mature emotionally, it is nearly a constant cycle of learning and relearning skills. It is definitely a marathon, and while they do sprint sometimes -- the inevitable hill appears and things slow down for a while. All of that is expected and okay...it happens with every athlete in every sport.

I think sandbagging is more likely to occur at the compulsory level. The higher levels have higher skills and can vary some skills. There are also fewer girls who make it to Optionals.

For me, if a girl takes 1st at States in compulsory and repeats the next full year, then that is sand bagging.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back