MAG Jump to prone?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
I had a fellow gym mom ask me this, as she has gotten conflicting answers...

In L8 and JD, is a jump to prone allowed on floor? And by allowed, I mean, will the gymnast be deducted for doing one?

@krc, @dunno

As long as it is after a completed landing - no deduction. No value, no element group. Punch to prone will be .5 ded. Consider it a transition.

Thanks. So, if you complete a tumbling pass and do a jump to prone, it is just for looks but can incur deductions, no value. I am assuming the days of the full twisting jump to prone are done?

What about L9 and 10?

Hi Skschlag,

From the FIG update Nov 2016:
10. Question: A gymnast completely finishes the landing of a tumbling pass; then uses a jump to
prone as a transition. Is there an E‐jury deduction for this jump to prone?
Answer: No, there is no deduction for a jump to prone unless it is directly from a tumbling pass
with a rebound action or performed in order to avoid the completion of the landing.

Jumps to prone may, like any transition, receive form deductions, but it is unlikely unless it is an egregious mistake. We are unlikely to see cool jumps like Brin Bevens 2.5 drop anymore :-(

KRC

I sat with a floor judge recently at a level 10 meet and they were telling me too many gymnasts were using the punch to prone to cover up bad landings and that is why it was changed to a .5 deduction.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back