Parents Just a little brag(mom to close eyes now)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gym law mom

Proud Parent
Gymmie told me last week she asked her coach if she could take the 4" mat off the low bar when she did her bailes(aka shoot half). Ok, I flinched a little, but then she said the coach said ok, but was spotting her. She came flying in the house last night and said she had a new skill. She is now doing the bailes without any spot at all and no mats!!! She got to run up and ring the bell---got high 5s from everyone.

I never USED to be nervous when she did bars----that just ended!!!! She(naturally) is thrilled.

Congrats what Level is your DD? My Dd is a Level 7 and mastering her giant. :eek: She finally likes bars it has only taken 6 years. Best wishes to your DD.

So exciting! I used to be super nervous as well. Especially when DD was learning a back handspring. We have the bell too; the girls have a lot of fun ringing it.

Congrats to her!:)

That is so awesome!!!!! Yeah - as they get up there in the levels you definitely start watching through you fingers :D

Congrats to your gymmie GLM! I am thrilled for her & sympathize with you ;).

Ruh-roh .... L9 HERE WE COME!!!!!!! :eek:

She is hoping to compete L8. As a L8 she cannot go from a handstand release to handstand grab(I guess is the best word) on this skill. The plan is to jump to high bar and kip up then throw the baile(as parents hide eyes) to handstand on low bar then kip/cast to handstand then back to high bar( there may be a clear hip in here somewhere). I didn't even know the coach had started working with her on a mount----said she and 1 other girl are working on a run, jump from springboard to high bar.

DH saw her do the baile solo and hadn't seen it before so didn't have a clue as to what she was doing! Now the coach is trying to carry all this confidence/enthusiasm to THE BEAM.

Ingy--Yes, she could do this skill as a L9---go handstand to handstand. Oh, this kid wil have me go gray quickly. Wants to learn a release over the high bar----you know all the ones named for retired gymnasts. She's watched our current L9s working them and they look to be so much fun---why do a silly baile as a L9?

On another upbeat note, she finished PT today. Now, is only to go back as needed. Has 3 stretches to do and orders to stop growing!

Congrats! She must be so excited....:D

I have to confess, even though you explained it, I still do not 'get' what a 'baile' is....is it video'ed somewhere, so that I could better understand this Optional skill that is way out of our L6 league/vocab right now?? :cool:

Wow!!! Sounds like you are off to a great start to the new season. Congratulations. I'm sure the beam will be conquered in short order.

Congrats! She must be so excited....:D

I have to confess, even though you explained it, I still do not 'get' what a 'baile' is....is it video'ed somewhere, so that I could better understand this Optional skill that is way out of our L6 league/vocab right now?? :cool:

I don't know if its on youtube anywhere. Ok it must be, just haven't seen it. Until gymmie started doing it, I had NO clue what she was talking about. Here is a pretty basic description. Gymnast is on the high bar facing the low bar. They cast(to handstand if L9) and then drop and release the high bar, do a 1/2 twist and catch the low bar. Goal here is TO CATCH the low bar! As a L8 she will cast, release the high bar and catch the low bar in a handstand. Then the gymnast kips and continues on----parents take pulses to make sure they are ok. This is one of many skills that meet the L8 bar requirement for a 180 degree change of direction. Most girls on her team are planning to do 1/2 pirouettes.

Team Dad---I hope she settles down on beam. She has her acro series, but is reluctant to let the coach pull out the last mat. Also feels "pretty good" about her RO-BT for dismount. Now trying to get consistent on either her BT or a front walk over for her solo acro skill.

Thanks for all the nice comments. This kid has been through alot with very negative coaching, so to see her coming full circle and having a great time plus wanting more and more and getting that belief in herself back is so wonderful.

gym law mom-- congratulation to dd. I think I'd close my eyes too.

mls-- A bail is the high to low bar transition Shawn Johnson does.

Ok, I think I've got it! So, wow, already doing this as a Level 8???? Is she some kind of adrenaline junkie? I can see why most of her teammates prefer to stick w/ the pirouettes!

Let's just write you up a prescription right now...there are several very nice antianxiety meds on the market right now!

YIPPEE! What what a great skill! I am so happy for her. And just think we still have 3 months till comp season!

Beetle said she will trade a L8 Beam series for a 1/2 pioruette LOL

YIPPEE! What what a great skill! I am so happy for her. And just think we still have 3 months till comp season!

Beetle said she will trade a L8 Beam series for a 1/2 pioruette LOL

My gymmie says, "deal!" She now thinks the 1/2 pirouette is quite dull. Said one of her teammates has a totally gorgeous one that she'll send to Beetle. Of course last fall when she was learning those, that was the "in" skill for awhile. She also claims she can control the baile better than the 1/2 pirouette. She told me on the way to gym this morning she likes gymnastics because it makes her feel free and that she can fly----this is why there are issues with beam. Never heard anyone say they felt "free" on the beam!

Beetle has 2 beam series and a beautiful switch leap on beam! But I will say that she had a couple great Cast to Handstands on high bar and a clear hip to hand on low bar last night. Bars have always been a stuggle so this is HUGE for her!

Gym Law Mom - I am sure you will agree, we need to just take it one day at a time! And yesterday was a good day!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back