Just checking - need advise

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cher062

yesterday DD was doing her floor tumbling pass and when she go to the RO, BHS, Back tuck she didn't spin as fast as she needed to and landed hard on her sholders neck and head. She seems ok today but yesterday she definitly had the wind knocked out of her and was shaken. She never had fallen like this before.

My question seeing as she seems ok and all day yesterday after lunch she seemed ok playing with friends do you think she should be ok today and the rest of the week to tumble.

That is exactly what happened to my DD about a week and a half ago... and that is what has led to her mental breakdown a few days ago!!! From reading all of the responses I got from that thread... this happens A LOT!!!!

She's probably just fine. I gave DD some Motrin b/c she was a little sore, but she's been fine.

Anyone besides a gymnast would totally whine an complain a ton and want to go to the hospital. us gymnasts were like what the heck keep going. she might need some more confidence on floor foor a little bit depending on how much she likes floor after that kind of fall...but i think it will be fine to tumble.

If she's gone this long and is fine, she should be okay to tumble etc. Next time, as a nurse, I would seriously recommend x-rays to be sure she didn't injure something. (had to do that with Sami two years ago). Oh--that reminds me, when Sami did it, she pulled something in her upper back and had trouble turning etc., so she did PT for several months. BUT since your DD is able to move around fine now, she obviously is doing good and won't have that trouble.

I have seen this happen a few times in our gym, and I have to say that were it to happen to my dd, I would take her in for xrays and to check for concussion, just to be safe. We had another girl (in my dd's group so I know the parents well) who did that on a back layout, and she DID concuss herself and was off for at least a week, with a gradual re-entry.

Concussions can be sneaky little devils and don't always show their horns right away. I would tell her for the next few days if she gets any mild headache, dizziness or even slightly blurred vision to stop practice and let a coach know. Many times people suffer a mild closed head injury and symptons show up with activity a few days later. Landing on the neck is serious, but sounds like she may have taken most of the impact on her shoulders. If no neck pain now or complaints of tingling in her arms/hands, she's probably ok. Actually, the coach should have checked her out without letting her move to start with. X-rays would be appropriate even 24 hours later.

We had a girl last year who went too high in her bhs(was doing ro-bhs-bt drills) and landed on her neck. The coaches did act very well in making her stay still on the mat and held her head(they called 911)---she did start complaining of numbness in her arms. She ended up having to have a cervical vertebrae fused to stabilize the injury to her neck. So, long story short---never take those falls for granted.

OP, I'm glad your girl made out ok (assuming). My suggestion is not to hestitate sending her to be checked out right away. If things check out fine, all you lose is a partial day of practice and a $10/$15 insurance copay (you know what I mean).

Self, reality check! :eek: Maybe my kids (esply the optional) shouldn't continue with these adventuous sports.:rolleyes:

Seriously though, I used to have these thoughts a lot. My heart still jumps out every time even though I'm the one encouraging their involvement in these activities. With that said, it's really not bad to feel that way every once in a while to keep things in check.

Anyone besides a gymnast would totally whine an complain a ton and want to go to the hospital. us gymnasts were like what the heck keep going.
That senseless toughness is not necessarily unique to gymnasts. We are also into another sport where kids have to be hauled out or stopped involuntarily by officials, medics or coaches, when an accident occurs (such as a concussion).

OP, I'm glad your girl made out ok (assuming). My suggestion is not to hestitate sending her to be checked out right away. If things check out fine, all you lose is a partial day of practice and a $10/$15 insurance copay (you know what I mean).

Self, reality check! :eek: Maybe my kids (esply the optional) shouldn't continue with these adventuous sports.:rolleyes:

Seriously though, I used to have these thoughts a lot. My heart still jumps out every time even though I'm the one encouraging their involvement in these activities. With that said, it's really not bad to feel that way every once in a while to keep things in check.

That senseless toughness is not necessarily unique to gymnasts. We are also into another sport where kids have to be hauled out or stopped involuntarily by officials, medics or coaches, when an accident occurs (such as a concussion).

yes i know it happens elsewhere i just think in gymnastics more often than not, most girls would rather push through it. wheras other friends at school go on crutches for a sprain.

yes i know it happens elsewhere i just think in gymnastics more often than not, most girls would rather push through it. wheras other friends at school go on crutches for a sprain.
Oh, I know you girls are tough and that's how I raise mine too. But, you have to know when to take care of yourselves.

she is most likely fine iv dun that in a meet b4. as long as she can still move her neck then she will b fine.

I have done that a few times, where i just stop flipping mid-air...
It definatly knocks the wind out of you and it scared me a lot! She might get some mental-blocks on floor from this, but just keep encouraging her if she does. I hope she feels okay, and she will probably be ready to tumble, but i would ask her if she thinks she is ready first.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back