MAG Just curious about other regions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

gracyomalley

Proud Parent
We are in a small (not to be really obvious) region with very few boys over L7. DS started late (almost 11) and is now 14 (8th grade), doing really well at L7 and training full routines of L8+ skills in the meantime (his planned L8 pommel is much better than the one he is required to do as a L7!) - small team and enthusiastic coach so the boys get lots and lots of progressive work. There are 2 other boys about his age - a 15 year old L8 and a 14 year old L9, both who've been doing gym much longer and are talented, nice kids.

The boys don't know who will be their HC next year, and at this point it will either be the great but inexperienced young "kid" they have now, or another, very knowledgeable coach who trained world class mens gym many years ago but only girls for some time. My boys love working with both of them, so no worries either way. However, because of this and the size of our team in general, there's no "this is how we do it" for upper levels.

We've noticed that this year there are NO L9s older than 14 at any comps we've been to, and I looked and last year even at regionals there were only 2 total. It seems that the older boys just skip to L10 - and I do notice that here many L10s scratch some events - but they seem a jolly, happy bunch at awards and to me they do amazing things in the 2 meets I've watched this year at that level.

My kid has no aspiration of college gym - one of his friends belongs there and is only a L9 due to age restrictions, the other thinks college gym would be fun but maybe just club. All three do well at meets, but again, we know we are in a small, non-competitive region overall. The L9 goes to nationals regularly, the other boy is out of age...as my son will be until L10, if I understand the system properly (it is so different from girls).

I realize (believe me, after DD gym experience, I REALLY realize) that things can change quickly for a kid, but DS has gone from a slightly above average third year L5 last year to really a solid L7 (he is in the small, older age group so medals in everything, often first, but compared to the younger kids his scores are close to top overall and his strength and form is superior in most events - he had a lot to learn this year skipping 6 completely, and then missed 6 weeks with a concussion, so just got his full high bar routine back this Friday - was still out scoring most kids without back giants in his first 3 meets because everything else was top notch - plus he really is doing tsuks, FHS-Ft vaults in practice, high bar release moves, some fancy ring stuff and p bars stuff I don't know the name of, presses on pommel, working double pikes, triple fronts, twisting, etc....given 2 more months he probably could have had a very solid L8 year this year).

Gym is a big part of his life, but he knows its "just for fun". Everything he's learning now looks amazing to me (well, maybe not pommel), but again, not going to be his "life". I'm just curious what "late starters" do in other regions? At the rate he's going, if he were to stay healthy and the gym gods continue to shine upon him, he could be a L10 for a few years in high school - which would be fun and he says would make him feel like he had "completed" the gym journey.

His friend who is almost 16/L8 this year would be an "old" L9 next year if he moves up. Do other regions generally put those kids in L10 also and just have them compete what they can or take difficulty hits? Seems like a nice balance to do so, actually - I hate how strict and intense the girls side is - and love that the boys work hard but don't take every mess up quite as seriously.

Also, is it pretty normal at this level for the boys to be doing 20 hours/5 days a week? Our gym previously topped out at 4 days for the boys - and the L9 never wanted more than that - but DS would like 5 days, as would his L8 friend - it seems like they are at a place where they should have that option (DD started doing 20 hours when she started training for L8...). I'd like to advocate for the extra practice day for the upper level boys, if that is what would be reasonable to expect (I will have nothing to do with the level question - I'm just curious and so is DS - levels are for coaches to decide....).

Our region typically has some of the "older" age group optionals, but most boys are pushed through to the next level. We are also in a smaller region, but a very competitive one. The bigger gyms with tons of boys will have more in the upper age groups. Our gym typically does push boys to the next level, but I think that could change with the new coach.

(just a side note...can't do a press on pommel...huge deduction. Must be a swing to handstand. that frustrates d to no end!! LOL!)

I think a lot depends on coaching philosophy. Our state and region do have some older L8s and L9s -- actually significantly more of both at the state meet than at your regional meet -- but my son's coach tends to move them up unless there are really significant deficits. He starts really attending to age once they're 11. DS has three L6 teammates who are 11 now and three who are 10 (his competitive age). My guess is that next year, the three 11 year olds will go to L8 and hopefully be OK, and he and one other boy are likely to go to 8 as well. I don't think any of these guys are super awesome amazing gymnasts who should ideally be skipping levels, but the coach believes he can make them all competent L8s next year. Our optional team is tiny right now, but I think it's highly likely that the guys on it will all move levels according to age rather than staying back. I think it's easier for the boys because hitting the requirements adds to SV rather than leaving them with routines that start under 10.0 (as for girls). Plus with six events and the flexibility to add whatever crazy thing you can do, it's easier to compensate for a weak event or two if you have a good event or two.

DS is working out in the optional group, which does 20 hours a week (four weekdays plus Saturday). His coach may add a little more over the summer, FWIW.

Our optionals work out 15 hours a week. Coach is hoping to add to that at some point.

If you go by USAG standards for eligibility to make it to nationals, they should reach solid L8 skills with sufficient range to put together full value routines on all events by age 11, L9 by age 13, and L10 by age 15. The system is set up to emphasize acquisition and strengthening of foundational skills, especially circling skills on PH, before progressing to more advanced skills.

Reactions: sce
Interesting and thanks. I'm sure DS knows what he's allowed to do on pommel at L8 - probably my mistake.

We too, have a few L6s who may move up more because of age than abilities - although the 12 year old will really struggle unless he gains some strength. My 10 year old would do best with another year of L6 - but I can see him skipping to 8 at age 12 - Level 7 seems to be not much easier than L8 and due to being compulsory, harder to do well in all around....but DS the elder just wasn't quite ready for L8 - especially with his concussion - and also the coach is inexperienced - at least he lets the boys work on more progressive skills than the previous coach did. DS is still at the fast skills aquisition phase of something new each week....

He's happy to be a winning L7, and getting to work on harder stuff at each practice - so its the "right" place for him now, I'm more curious what the options for his older friend would be - I'd like him to get a chance to do L10 before he graduates high school....

Oh, and the three older boys actually work most of practice - even with mouth muscles moving - cuz with only three of them (sometimes some of the 6s work with them - but even then the total group is maybe 6 kids) they can't sit around much!

My older son is a 14 yr old L6 and two of his team mates are 13 and 14 years old... our optionals range in age from 12 to 17.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back