Parents Just in time for competition season......elbow fracture!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thanks, it is crazy to think that she did gymnastics like that. Tough kid.

Makes me cringe! Her coach feels awful too but I told her it's not her fault we have to go off of what dd told us she was feeling and according to dd when she wore the (very light) compression sleeve she felt no pain. Either she is a freak of nature with the pain tolerance of an elephant, the compression sleeve gave her some kind of "placebo effect," or she was just straight up not being truthful about her pain. I really hope it's not the latter. She is a terrible liar though and usually I can tell right away if she isn't being truthful. There's no way a compression sleeve (one of the lightest available) was giving her enough support to tumble and vault pain free on a fracture.

Makes me cringe! Her coach feels awful too but I told her it's not her fault we have to go off of what dd told us she was feeling and according to dd when she wore the (very light) compression sleeve she felt no pain. Either she is a freak of nature with the pain tolerance of an elephant, the compression sleeve gave her some kind of "placebo effect," or she was just straight up not being truthful about her pain. I really hope it's not the latter. She is a terrible liar though and usually I can tell right away if she isn't being truthful. There's no way a compression sleeve (one of the lightest available) was giving her enough support to tumble and vault pain free on a fracture.
I am not sure about that. I can recall a former teammate of dd's who practiced and competed on a broken elbow, before they diagnosed it. I don't recall the details of what type but I want to say it was a similar type of fracture your dd has (it was a displaced something). She did not need surgery. Her pain level was not bad at all. It was "bugging" her but not excessively and she could do her skills. She was wrapping it for support before she finally went to the dr. Also, those compression sleeves really can help to keep everything in place to reduce the pain. Again, the pain level may be a factor of the level and location of displacement.

Either way, you will have all the info tomorrow, hopefully.

Very sorry to hear! A teammate had an elbow fracture but I am not sure what type exactly. She was out for about 3 months, is back to practice easing in now.

UPDATE: Thanks to everyone for all of the good thoughts! We just left the orthopedic doctor, they did more X-rays to double check everything and turns out what they thought was a fracture is a partially fused growth plate which is perfectly normal for her age. He could feel the fluid in the elbow from the inflammation and swelling but said he suspects mild cartilage strain/sprain. He wants her non weight bearing on that elbow for two weeks and he suspects it will be better by then but if not he will schedule her for an MRI. This makes much more sense than a fracture! Fingers crossed she feels much better soon! I'll continue to update!

Either she is a freak of nature with the pain tolerance of an elephant, the compression sleeve gave her some kind of "placebo effect," or she was just straight up not being truthful about her pain.
Looks like you missed one of the possibilities yesterday ;)

That's great news considering what you thought.

Happy to hear that it wasn't actually a fracture. Hope she's feeling (and actually is) 100% soon.

Thanks everyone! She will be 12 in November, since growth plates are partially closed I wonder is that means she will be done growing soon?

Hoping that this clears up but if there's any doubt after the rest period, I will push for the MRI.

Reactions: sce
UPDATE: Thanks to everyone for all of the good thoughts! We just left the orthopedic doctor, they did more X-rays to double check everything and turns out what they thought was a fracture is a partially fused growth plate which is perfectly normal for her age. He could feel the fluid in the elbow from the inflammation and swelling but said he suspects mild cartilage strain/sprain. He wants her non weight bearing on that elbow for two weeks and he suspects it will be better by then but if not he will schedule her for an MRI. This makes much more sense than a fracture! Fingers crossed she feels much better soon! I'll continue to update!
THIS is fantastic news! Phew, crisis averted. Hopefully some rest and time is all she needs now.

Thanks everyone! She will be 12 in November, since growth plates are partially closed I wonder is that means she will be done growing soon?

Hoping that this clears up but if there's any doubt after the rest period, I will push for the MRI.

That is wonderful news! baffles me how the other Dr/PA would not have known about a growth plate though :confused:. As for done growing, growth plates close at different rates, so she may still have more growth in her - actually at 12, she has more growing left.

NOOOOO!! Just reading this...I'm so sorry!! But glad it looks like it's a better prognosis that you organically thought! Poor kid :( But don't beat yourself up-I've doubted the flu, strep throat and two different broken bones...sigh... good luck!! Hope the recovery goes well!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back