Parents Just Made Team, Any Advice or Tips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm not really sure what the point of sharing this was.

Was I supposed to have read through all the other forums before responding to someone in here?
I think they were just giving context of who this persons kid was, since it was pointed out that how would you know her kid was on the national team or that she has experience with high level gymnastics as a new member, and unless she was going to randomly name drop her kids name in this thread, you still wouldn’t know who people were talking about :) you’ve got your guard up and are a little defensive, but there are probably other people in this thread who would have gotten curious and wondered who her kid was

I think they were just giving context of who this persons kid was, since it was pointed out that how would you know her kid was on the national team or that she has experience with high level gymnastics as a new member, and unless she was going to randomly name drop her kids name in this thread, you still wouldn’t know who people were talking about :) you’ve got your guard up and are a little defensive, but there are probably other people in this thread who would have gotten curious and wondered who her kid was
I think the fact that the person who posted the link went through and made laughing emojis at some of my honest comments may have something to do with the “defensiveness you are picking up on.

To OP, congratulations to your daughter for being invited into the team. It is a great sport, with all its ups and downs just like life. Try not to get too invested. The first few years are previous. Enjoy them!

This forum has a lot of veteran parents who can offer advice on anything gymnastics under the sun! We look forward to helping you through any questions, concerns you may have along the way.

On the positive, being in team should be an incredible experience for her.

For many adults, their time in the gym brings about their fondest memories. Gymnastics takes more hours than virtually all other sports so their team and gym become like a 2nd home and a 2nd family.

The life skills learned on team are also invaluable. Team work, effort, determination, confidence, the ability to break down goals and break down fear into smaller manageable steps, total focus and commitment.

Good Morning -
My 7.5yr old just got invited to team at her gym. Our gym does JO and doesn't do team until level 4 so she will be competing at level 4 starting in January. We are all very excited and nervous to take this next step. Do you all have any advice or tips for a newbie just starting the competition side?
I would say as a tip, it's good to get in well with the booster club as soon as you can. I didn't and I signed in to start a post about booster club moms who have lost their minds! I didn't get in with them, and now we're upper levels, and they are so very nasty! It's incredible! If I knew any personally I might not be dealing with other parents who are snarky, rude, and are NOT instilling the things in our kids that being on TEAM is supposed to do.

Keep an open line of communication with the coaches. If your kid comes home crying, ask her why, and then see if it warrants a coach email. An inquiry, never accusatory. Things happen and tears happen. It's a rough road! But if you have communication with the coaches, it's much better.

Other than that, as far as team tips, don't make it all about scores for your girl. I always tell mine, do your best, support your teammates, listen to your coaches, and have fun. And that is really all I have to say before competitions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back