Just not a great feeling!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Okay i don't really know where to start because it's kinda a long story or rather lots and lots of little stories so this might be a bunch of ramble that doesn't really make sense.

Okay so I am really having a rough time at the moment and everything is just a bit stressful! I have school half yearlies that count towards my final ATAR (like uni entrance ranking thing) and we are a few weeks out from comp and my grandma has just had surgery to remove the breast cancer that they found. So that has all amounted to some very high levels of stress!

Secondly, It's getting very frustrating with strength, in terms of strength I am all legs and that makes me an awesome tumbler which is great but when it comes to our upper body set, I just cannot seem to get any stronger. I have worked hard for over a year to get these stupid rope climbs with no legs but it just seems impossible. It makes me feel awful when I see the level 3's I coach climb the rope with no legs when I have been working at it for so long and it just doesn't seem to get any easier and I have been working so hard!!! I don't know what to do!!

Thirdly, I am getting really sick of coaching myself often. This is mainly because I don't do bars and have to do something else while everyone else does bars. I know this cannot be helped but when the whole group does bars for sometimes 45 mins most training sessions it does make me feel a little forgotten.

Finally, as i am in year 12 this was supposed to be my last year of gym. However, I really want to do gym and compete next year, probably for just one more year and then I will switch to adult gym. My only problem is finances. Hopefully I can come up with some sort of agreement with my parents like I pay for all comp entries and leotards etc (and just pray a new comp leo doesn't come out next year!) and all the extras and they just pay for the tuition (fairly cheap as we are a not for profit club) or something of that variety or maybe I can coach to pay off my training and just not get paid or something like that as I am already coaching as well. And I just think of my life without gym and it makes me so sad! I just want to do it for the rest of my life! I don't want to be held back simply because I cannot afford it as a uni student!

I know this is probably a pain to read and sorry to make you listen to my insignificant complaints, I just needed somewhere to vent

I don't think any of your complaints are insignificant. You have a lot going on right now... Enough to make anyone stressed out, and then adding the gymnastics on top of all of that. It's great that you are coaching, since that's a great way to stay involved in the sport. I assume from what you've said that there isn't a way for to continue to compete as part of a univsity team? I can't offer you any advice, other than that you are strong and you will get through all of this. Chalk bucket group hug...:grouphug:

I can't continue on a university team as college gymnastics doesn't really exist over here and even if i did i am not at a level where that is really an option. I can continue on my current club team next year as I asked my coach the thing is, how I am going to pay for it if my parents don't agree to some sort of agreement so that I can afford it I just don't think it is really going to be possible otherwise.

And thanks MaryA for your kind words :) and the chalk bucket group hug :)

Thanks pattymello, it does help a little :) but for my course preference at the moment I need a 95 ATAR but at least I have back ups :) Hopefully I can get it!

As long as you do well in your classes your AST doesn't matter too much. If you really mess it up it does not count towards your ATAR as it is considered an Aberrant score. Results from it are mainly used to judge how smart the school you are at is on average.

{Hugs} Oh gosh you do have a lot to deal with at the moment - enough to make anyone feel stressed and upset.
I don't really have any great advice except maybe just try to take things one step at a time.
Get through the half yearlies, do the best that you can do on the day. Same with the comp coming up.

Have your parents indicated that they definitely won't pay for gym next year? Maybe they don't realise that you want to continue? So maybe an honest conversation with them about next year may solve some of your worries. I would also realise that with your grandmother sick that they are no doubt also feeling stressed and worried, so I would maybe wait a few weeks until hopefully everyone is feeling a bit calmer and then have a chat.
Sending positive thoughts for your grandmother.

Have you talked to your coaches about continuing next year? Most coaches and gyms don't want to lose older and experienced gymnasts. At my kids gyms there are lots of teenagers that coach for no pay to cover their tution fees.

Finally remember that if you have managed to make it to year 12 and still be doing competitive gymnastics then you are a very strong person, mentally and emotionally, not just physically. That inner strength is what will get you through this, just take it one day - or if needed one hour at a time.

gymgurl, I (assistant) coached to help pay for my gymnastics from the time I was about 13. I taught the little pre-teamers and I loved it, it was so much fun. My parents were just not able pay for my gym tuition, and my coach really did not want to lose me, so she worked something out. Hopefully your coach will be similarly understanding.

Even though it must be stressful, I think it is great that you want to keep up with team gymnastics even though you're in year 12. I quit at 15 because I wanted a "life," and I wish I had stuck with gymnastics, it would have been a much more productive use of my time. :)

After having started this post I have talked to my dad who said we can work something out but lets wait until closer to the time to sort out exactly what, my coach really wants me to stay so she's going to make that possible for me which is good, I am currently assistant coaching (but next year I think my coach wants me to take a squad) and hopefully I can use my pay to pay for gym if need be :) Half yearlies are now officially over and I am over the moon! I also think I have next year completely figured out now :) - I like having plans hehe.

Thank you all for your support you have all been of great comfort! and with that I leave you as i must get ready for training :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back