Parents Just starting out!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD just turned 4 and started taking a class at our local gym this summer once a week.. she's doing great! I won't sit here and say she is a super gymnast in the making :) but she is clearly learning skills at a faster rate than the other kids and it seems very natural for her.

We decided to enroll her in a second class each week because she loves it so much! Last week I overheard the coaches saying they were testing her... I guess to move up to the next level. They always seem very focused on her during the classes and get excited when she catches on quickly. I don't know much about gymnastics in general... how long it takes to move up, etc.

I am wondering if there is anything I should be doing as a parent to be more proactive or supportive since this seems to be something she is really interested in and good at?

If I want to get a couple things for at home-- what would be the best to start with? I was thinking a balance beam and bar? Any tips on brands or best places to purchases price wise?

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm jumping the gun... I also have a 2 year old so I view this as something fun they could both practice/play on when home.

Thanks!! :)

Welcome - Sounds like your DD is doing well and having fun! I don't think there is anything proactive you should be doing at this stage. She is 4, and could change her mind tomorrow about whether she even likes gymnastics. If anything, maybe a small panel mat to practice cartwheels, handstands and rolls. I would not recommend a beam or bar set at this age/stage.

I wouldn't get anything more than a mat. If she tumbles around the house like many of them do, a mat is at least safer than hardwood/tile. It also makes an easy way to confine tumbling to a safer part of the house. I'm sure I'm not alone in being able to recall stories of gymnastic maneuvers nearly injuring my daughter (fireplace hearths, coffee table corners, etc). They always swear they're in control and know what they're doing...

Welcome! I am glad your daughter is loving it! I teach preschool classes and we discourage parents from getting at home equipment for a couple of reasons. First, you do not want your dd to learn or practice skills incorrectly because it is hard to break those habits. Second, part of the reason gym is so much fun is because they do not have that equipment at home. Third, like another poster said their interests may change. And, last, safety is a concern. An at home bar needs close supervision and appropriate matting. Even a floor beam can be deceptively dangerous- my dd broke her wrist working her skills on a floor beam (at gym).
If your dd has "caught the gymnastics bug" and is wanting to do gymnastics at home, she can practice her basic positions. But, you do need to be careful about her not doing things she should not be doing. For example, children under the age of 5, in general, should not be doing bridges. The absolute best thing you can do is to provide opportunities to keep working on large motor skills while having fun- take her to the park to play as often as you can, let her learn to ride bike, go swimming, any other fun activities that will build her strength while having fun. If she does turn out to have talent in gymnastics and you pursue it, the time will quickly come that she will not have time to explore other sports, so give her the opportunity now to do that. Good luck!

indeed...my L6 daughter just yesterday was doing her beam dismount in the family room and came down on the coffee table...it wasn't pretty! They never learn!!!

haha... sounds like my kid... she has been standing on the arm of the couch and flipping forward into a roll-- an injury waiting to happen and a couch waiting to be destroyed!

good thoughts... i'll hold off on getting equipment at home. :) it's hard to know how hard to push... wanting to avoid putting pressure on her, but also want to encourage development if there is some talent. you are all right though... she is really little and should be exploring right now. i have to admit that i LOVE it though....... growing up i did soccer, field hockey, and was a serious fast-pitch softball pitcher. i remember my dad working with me all the time and it really made a difference. i want to be that support system for her! gymnastics is new to me and i find it fascinating that even at so young she can learn the things she is learning! but.... i don't want to be the overbearing parent either! it's east to get carried away.

I remember this age. The fellows was completely all in by this point but wasn't in the gym enough for her liking. I used this extra time to try EVERYTHING. We did dance and all kinds of other sports as well as music and art. I wanted her to have exposure to many things to see if the gymnastics shine would dull in the light of other things.

Choosing gymnastics is a tough path for everyone. Now at 8, my kid has back to back 13 hour days and has to fit in homework while in the car or miss a recess to catch up. The whole family sacrifices. My husband is still pissed we can't go on vacation whenever we want. But if this is something they love and can't live without then it is all in. It's not like other sports where you do it for a couple of months an hour here or there. It is a huge commitment so I wanted to make sure that there wasn't something else out there that would make her just as happy.

In the end we would go to something new and she would say 'That was fun, when can I go back to the gym'. So we happily and enthusiastically can support her in her gymnastics now, knowing that, at least at this point, she isn't missing out on something else she might rather be doing.

So before you get to the all in phase, let her try everything. Explore her interests and try different kinds of sports and activities. This will give you a lot of information to work with.

If you really want to support the gymnastics side, then I would recommend a ballet class. I wish that The Fellows had been up for that; she hated it. But, I see that the girls that have been doing ballet since they were little have a leg up. Not only on dance moves, point and lines, but also on focus. In ballet you have to focus your attention to what you are doing every second of an hour class. In gymnastics, especially at the early stages, it is on and off. Focus intensely and then wait for the next turn. This sustained focus of the ballet students is totally apparent in the gym.

Welcome and good luck on your gymnastics journey. Keep us posted on her progress!

I second the ballet class. Otherwise, let her keep gym at the gym and beg you to go everyday. Always leave 'em wanting more, :D!!

Welcome! Sounds like you have a little gym monkey on your hands! They are so cute at that age...

2 things I have regretted about gymnastics - being so against having a ballerina that I didn't put dd into any dance classes. This decision really hindered her rhythmic development for floor and beam. The other regret is the money I spent on home gym equipment. It wasn't much - homemade beam, chin up bar, piruoette bar. After 7 years of dd being in the gym, I chuckle when I think that I actually believed that any practice we did at home made a difference in her progression.

Dunno is right... Keep the skills in the gym..... Or you are likely to end up with a dd falling off her beam onto the coffee table.... :)

LOL gymgal, I think you nailed it on the head. I'd say those are two of my biggest regrets as well although we still have the seldom used beam sitting in the hallway. Definitely consider putting your dd in ballet or dance; I wish I'd done it years ago. Now - at 20 hours a week of training and the demands of fifth grade - there just isn't time. Wish I'd done it back when we had all that extra after school time!

I second what the op's have said - especially about keeping gym in the gym. You mentioned that your father helped you with softball, but gym is not little league or peewee soccer - you are already paying for a professional coach to teach your dd gymnastics, so trust her coach. I also agree that ballet can be very helpful in preparing her for the dance part of beam and floor. Finally, don't bother buying home equiptment. Not only does this tend to encourage bad habits and possible injury, but also, hang onto your money. You going to need it. Gym is an expensive sport, and the higher she goes, the more it costs.
Good luck to you and your dd.

I second (third?) the dance class suggestion. If she doesn't like ballet, try tap, jazz, modern...

Any dance will help, and you really will see a difference between the dancers and non-dancers.

Also, I tend to see that the swimmers have an advantage, concentration-wise and with aerobic conditioning. Swimming also works some key upper body muscles. Plus, it's one of the FEW competitive sports that doesn't interfere with gymnastics! LOL!

Good Luck on your gym journey!

Also, I tend to see that the swimmers have an advantage, concentration-wise and with aerobic conditioning. Swimming also works some key upper body muscles. Plus, it's one of the FEW competitive sports that doesn't interfere with gymnastics! LOL!

swimming is a great sport to increase strength and conditioning - no doubt. But being a swim mom, it definitely interferes with gymnastics. my ds is only 9 and swims 3 nights a week and has at least 1 meet a month throughout the entire year. yes, I am just a taxi driver for my children. :) I can't imagine my dd doing competitive gym and swim at the same time even when she was younger.

Might be going against the grain a little here, but don't see anything wrong with a mat. Put it in that space in your house where your kids are already rolling,handstanding,monkey jumping,cartwheeling, etc. But as others have said, don't waste your money on other "equipment" for your house.

I also think the application of "leave the gymnastics at he gym" varies greatly by age. Gymnastics play at home for young kids is one thing, working on skills at home as a kid gets a little older is another. I think the key is to leave the gymnastics instruction at the gym. Don't try to coach your kid at home, don't try to "encourage" your kid to work on skills at home, don't try to "fix" your kid's gymnastics weaknesses at home.

But when my girls were preschool/younger grammer school age, I would have had to tie them to a chair the second we got in the house for them to not do gymnastics at home. They would "play" gymnastics meet like other kids would play with barbies or polly pockets. Self choreographed floor routines on the living room rug, beam routines on a tape line, vaults that somehow involved the couch(I've blocked that part out), homemade score cards, medals and medal stand.

I treasure these memories of "playing" gymnastics at home, wish I had video taped more of it.

Okay, sounds like I should definitely get her into a dance class! Our gym has a combo class so maybe I'll start with that just to get her feet wet and see if she likes it. :) I appreciate all your comments and will avoid making the mistake of purchasing equipment, other than maybe a mat.

Gymdad2.... I might not know much about gymnastics, but I'd say you don't know much about competitive softball. I practiced with my dad 4 nights a week and had paid pitching lessons with a private coach 1-2 nights a week at $60 a lesson, plus the costs for all the travel I did when on travel teams in the fall and summer. I understand the point you are making, but you can't downplay other sports or use terms like "peewee soccer" to describe them! My dad put in a little more effort than cheering me on from the sidelines and playing tee-ball in the backyard.

Swimming can be compatible in the pre-pubescent years because the clubs don't generally mind if they go low hours before then. And puberty is a big time to move on from gym anyway.
But this is a great time to focus on learning to swim, learning to ride a bike, skating, etc ... I read a blog entry by a former elite gymnast, that she had to learn to ride a bike in her teens because they'd not taken the time when she was younger and always in the gym. So yes, go learn all the general things now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back