Parents Just starting out!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If you really want to support the gymnastics side, then I would recommend a ballet class. I wish that The Fellows had been up for that; she hated it. But, I see that the girls that have been doing ballet since they were little have a leg up. Not only on dance moves, point and lines, but also on focus. In ballet you have to focus your attention to what you are doing every second of an hour class. In gymnastics, especially at the early stages, it is on and off. Focus intensely and then wait for the next turn. This sustained focus of the ballet students is totally apparent in the gym.

I totally agree re. ballet. My gymmie is 5 1/2 and takes ballet. Nearly all of
what they do in ballet class at this age is about learning to stay in line, pay
attention, follow directions, show respect, and count the music--all valuable
skills not just for gymnastics, but for life in general. (She has also learned
to point her feet correctly, which her gymnastics coach likes very much.)

Ballet takes 100% focus 100% of the time, which is one reason why I take an
adult class for fun--for grownups, it's like a form of meditation because you
can't possibly stress out about anything else when your full attention is
devoted to figuring out where your feet are supposed to go next while
simultaneously maintaining the shape of your arms, tucking your tummy in, and
staying on top of the music!

As far as swimming not interfering with gymnastics, I have to apologize... I was only talking about the summer swim season. We have a lot of kids who swim in the summer and do gymnastics the rest of the year. It does become more difficult once they start upping their training hours during summer, but summer swim season usually doesn't last all that long, only June/july, compared to nov thru April for gymnastics competition season in our region. Of course, then you do have year round swim team as well...

Definitely try a ballet class. Dd is in her 6th year of ballet/pointe along with tap, jazz, and clogging and it makes a big difference in her floor and beam routines especially in this her first year of level 7. No one would compliment my dd's tumbling ability but she gets tons of compliments on her pointed toes, straight legs, and gracefulness which comes from her dance background. As far as at home gym equipment save your money and buy some extra leos which she'll get more good out of in the long run. We have two beams in the garage taking up space that only get drug out if a friend is over.

I read a blog entry by a former elite gymnast, that she had to learn to ride a bike in her teens because they'd not taken the time when she was younger and always in the gym. So yes, go learn all the general things now.

wow - that is really sad.... Even a girl who wants to go elite needs some time to be a child.

She's only 4yo let her have fun and keep the gymnastics at the gym. There is no need for at home equipment because there are no coaches there to spot her, to make sure she is doing the skills with the right form etc. Just be your child's cheerleader, let her know you are proud of her and let her have FUN at this (even if at some ponit she makes a team). You have given her a 2nd class and that really is more than enough for a 4yo.

Might be going against the grain a little here, but don't see anything wrong with a mat. Put it in that space in your house where your kids are already rolling,handstanding,monkey jumping,cartwheeling, etc. But as others have said, don't waste your money on other "equipment" for your house.

We have a mat as well. I might not be able to stop her cartwheeling, handstanding crazy self, but at least I can make it a softer landing.

Might be going against the grain a little here, but don't see anything wrong with a mat. Put it in that space in your house where your kids are already rolling,handstanding,monkey jumping,cartwheeling, etc. But as others have said, don't waste your money on other "equipment" for your house.

We have a mat as well. I might not be able to stop her cartwheeling, handstanding crazy self, but at least I can make it a softer landing.
That's what ours is for, and we're saying it all the time "if you're going to do that, go get your mat and get away from the fireplace". Walking on her hands is fine by me, as is holding handstands with her legs in various positions. Doing it on a file floor 2 feet from the fireplace isn't. The mat makes it a softer landing (and the only place with enough space for it is a relatively safe room). Had to put an end to aerials and whatnot, even with a mat. Just makes me uncomfortable.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back