Parents Just thinking

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

dazed

So my husband came home with my dd after her first class at the new level. He said the coach was frustrated at the level of strength (or lack of) that the girls were showing. If she didn't think they were strong enough, why would she have moved them up in the first place? Should I be worried? I feel bad for her, maybe she had higher expectations than she should have, and I feel bad that my girl and the others aren't as strong as she would like. *shrug* I'm going to class with her today and I'll see what happens, but I wonder if maybe she didn't jump the gun in moving the some of the girls up. Of course, maybe I'm just worrying unnecessarily.

Hey dazed, I was just curious if the coach (or if your husband had noticed) had mentioned specific areas of strength? I know you had mentioned pull-ups in an earlier post...

Without knowing specifics, I would think that now is such a great time of the year for gymnasts. More time in the gym, more time can be focused on conditioning and form etc.. It seems like some coaches (maybe even all coaches lol) seem to look for immediate perfection, but time and practice can really only make those differences ... I bet you will be amazed at how far the girls come by the end of the summer:) as long as they are having fun they can do great!

I know you decided you were going to leave practices in the gym, but if she wants to practice things like handstands at home, I say go for it... handstands are not only the most impt skill to know in gymnastics(in my opinion) , they are also great for strength... my kids all love to have handstand competitions with each other:D

What kind of competitions? Are they seeing who can hold them the longest? The areas that my dd need to work on are still pull-ups, she can do one now :) ,rope climb, push ups, that kind of stuff. Will hand stands work? I agree with you on the time and practice part. I said as much to my dd so hopefully she wont get discouraged.

I love coaching during the summer...it means working on conditioning, new skills, and learning routines. It's always great to work on handstands and some easy stuff at home--I did it all the time. I used to do roundoff backhandsprings in my living room, on the sofa cushions. Gymnasts doing stuff at home is an extremely common thing and I personally don't see anything wrong with it---within reason. If they are being smart and safe then it's fine.

Many times when gymnasts move to a new level they're met with a new strength requirment. Some people may be at the requirement when they first move up, some need extra work on it. I always encourage my gymnasts to do pushups, situps, handstands, hollow body (scoop) hold, whip (Superman) hold, etc at home. If the gymnast is willing to do extra strength then go for it.

Congrats on moving up, and please try not to get too frustrated with the new stuff!

my kids seems to spend the majority of their days upside down :rotfl: - LOL - they do try and see who can hold the longest, alone, against the wall, how many push-ups they can do in a handstand position... you name it. They also do headstand contests (not really strength - actually I have no idea what a head stand is really for) but they find it fun... they love doing these kinds of things and seek them out at every opportunity. I have even had to tell my little one to stop, she will do cartwheels in a parking lot all the way to the car.... let them practice the stuff they love, the rest will follow. Tell your little one not to be discouraged, just keep trying her best:D

LGC...Great advice and stories!! It must be a gymnast thing. I'm 19 going on 20 and I still walk down the curb anywhere I go. Headstands are great for getting the gymnast comfortable with going upsidedown; they're often a precursor to handstands. They're also great for strengthening the neck.

I agree with what Hammy and LGCM have posted. At our gym, I'm told that the summer is all about gaining strength. They move the girls up if they demonstrate desire, maturity and they are getting the skills. Then they work on strength. As will always be the case, some of them are stronger than others, but all will be stronger by the end of the summer. As for training at home, if your DD wants to do it then by all means go for it. Get a pullup bar and challenge her to get that second pullup. We bought one and installed it in my son's doorway. Even my husband is using it now!

Meg

We're going to be encouraging her as much as we can, but after her second class last night, I could see the frustration and discouragement first hand in the coach's face. I wonder if she really did bump them up too early or is expecting too much of them. I guess she has another class at this level that is 6 months ahead of this one. Maybe she's comparing too much. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

A few of my coworkers (the head coaches) moved up a group of gymnasts that weren't ready (they thought they were at the time but that ended up not being the case). We were all frustrated for a little bit, but as we all realized that everything was going to be ok even if we (everyone) had to work a little harder the kids became more motivated and started improving big time.

The coach may have to change her attitude a little. The girls will pick up on her displeasure/frustration rather quickly(if they haven't already) and then it can turn into a bad cycle of the girls not feeling comfortable in the class and the coach being annoyed. In that type of situation, nobody wins and the girls don't learn.

You may want to wait and watch a few more classes to see if everyone gets "settled", but if it seems the coach is always looking upset, then you and other parents may need to talk with her.

Hi, I also have a train level gymnast her strength was a little low 3 months ago (arms and Shoulders) her coach recomended she do bear crawls, broken handstand walks, mountian climbers, and finally handstand walking when she could. All these things are possible and pretty safe. My daughter could do so much more in the gym after only a few weeks and is now walking half way across the gym floor in a handstand without fallind and her bars are getting so much better. Good Luck!!!:)

Bear crawl is walking on your hands and feet in a pike with feet straddled; legs and arms should be kept straight. I'm not exactly sure how to describe mountain climbers...let me see: start in push up shape and jump one foot in to the chest (knee to chest), while the other leg is still extended, then switch legs (other foot comes in to chest while the foot that was by the chest extends back out).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back