Parents Just venting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well I am becoming frustrated with daughters gym. It is now towards the end of September and we still do not have a meet schedule. I think we may have a meet in November but I am not sure, its all second hand information from my daughter. I have to put my work schedule in and I am in the process of looking for a second job. Last week I inquired about when we are getting the meet schedule and I almost got my head bitten off!!! Do most of you have your meet schedules yet? It seems like the gym has little regard that parents have to work and may actually have a life outside the gym. Besides this issue daughter has been having a great time at gym and loves her coaches this year. I just the wish there was better communication at the gym and that parents were shown a little more respect.

We had that problem with our old gym - yes, it certainly seemed like they didn't believe we could have a life outside of gymnastics!! We were never given a schedule, and were just told as each competition was approaching. One time we were even told while we were at one Sunday meet "oh, by the way, there's another competition on Saturday".
Admittedly, we don't ever have to travel more than around 1 hour to any competition, but some notice would be appreciated!!

Our sanctioned competition season starts in November. At our gym, the meet schedule typically comes out in September right after school's back in session. The gym owners and the coaches work on the details all throughout the summer to get ready for that. Yes, there is quite a bit of inconvenience when it comes to job situations, school activities, vacation planning, etc. However, I guess because we are accustomed to this routine, the parents don't fuss over that too much.

Our meet season starts in September and we had a Fall schedule in August I think. When does meet season start? It is hard to not be able to plan, etc. I don't work, but when I do start working, I know that it will be something I want to be able to plan for, can't imagine missing a meet.

Hope they get it to you soon.

Our meet season began last weekend. Our fall schedule was posted in late July. I don't know when our winter schedule (jan - April) will be posted. I know HC has it and I could probably ask for it but I don't need that one yet.

Dd's first meet is in November and we knew about the meet schedule back in the beginning of August. Now our meets do include travel which is why we find out so early so we have time to budget for the meets.

We must go to the same gym. LOL. We don't have a meet schedule yet either and it is driving me crazy. I do know 3 meets that we are going to since we've had to pay for them already. (Flip Fest in TN, Charleston Cup, SC, Tiger Paw at Clemson U) but we still don't know where or when the other 3 are. Hopefully by the end of this week we will know but I am not holding my breath. :)

Things are run quite differently here. We got our 3 qualifier meets probably 10 days ago. The first one is in Nov, Jan, Feb. Then you move on if qualified and those meets are public knowledge although they may not have a location as of yet, just dates.

What makes me crazy is not knowing when you compete on that given weekend until 2 weeks before! Our meets usually incur a 1 night hotel stay so I always have to book the weekend and then call back and cancel one night.

Our meet season starts in December and we got our meet schedule about a week ago. It still isn't set in stone, though. In all likelihood another meet will be added in April for L4/L5 and there is a mystery meet in January that the coaches haven't decided on. Morgansmom, we will be at Charleston Cup too though my dd is L6, not L7. Our L7s will be there, though. We are in Virginia so thinking of making a short vacation out of the trip.

Meg

Megley,

Maybe they will be around the same time. They have two gyms with several levels going on. Is this your 1st time going to CC? We live about 45 minutes north of Charleston so we just drive in but it is a great city to make a weekend vacation.

Tracy, yes this will be our first trip to the Charleston Cup. It's about a 7 hour drive for us but I think we will drive rather than fly, just to save on airfare. I hear it's a great meet and it sounds like it would be a really nice little mini-vacation. I'll try to remember to post when we get our session time. Maybe we can come see your dd compete.

Meg

we got our schedule the beginning of September. I thinkyou have every right to know what your meet schedule is (for at least this fall)...good luck!

I feel your pain.Our old gym always did that to us.My work requires a 4 week notification to take time off.
Our new gym gave us the meet schedule about a month ago.The first meet will be in December.
There is only 1 meet we are not sure about yet and it is in Feb/March.

Let me know for sure. I plan on watching the L5's, Prep Gold's and 8's and 10's(we don't have a L6 or L9) so I am sure I will be there when your DD competes. I would love to see her.

I can't say that's the case for us this year but the last 2 seasons we had no idea what meets we were going to. I think our schedules came out in October last year. We got our tentative schedule about 2 weeks ago. I hope you get something soon!

Let me know for sure. I plan on watching the L5's, Prep Gold's and 8's and 10's(we don't have a L6 or L9) so I am sure I will be there when your DD competes. I would love to see her.

Will do! We have L6 through L10 competing so we will try to watch as many sessions as we can.

We don't have our meet schedule, yet. But we've already had to pay for the first two entry fees so they told us when those are. Our first meet is at the end of Oct. We are told that our meet schedule will be out this week.

LOL, I feel your pain. This is a new gym for us as well and we were given a schedule back in the Summer with tentative dates but I am finding out now that everything is just that...tentative. I found out about DD's first meet this past weekend only about 10 days ago. But I have to say the communicationa and organization is better than old gym! What was supposed to be our first meet (in Oct) is now dropped and another meet a couple weekes later was added. It is difficult to plan around. I am lucky that my job is Mon-Thursday days, but w/three kids advanced notice is good. My hubby has a wacky schedule being a fireman (24 hr shifts every third day) and weekends are hectic w/other sports. And, coming up with about $75 meet fees within a weeks notice is hard too. But this gym is pay as you go for some meets (we have pre-paid sectional/states already and some coaches fees) so I do like that as opposed to the assessment fee I had last year w/old gym and lots of my money un accounted for, LOL

We have one mom who is a nurse that works losts of nights and weekends so she is one that needs advanced notice to change shifts...I feel so bad for her sometimes she is coming to meets with no sleep!

Things are run quite differently here. We got our 3 qualifier meets probably 10 days ago. The first one is in Nov, Jan, Feb. Then you move on if qualified and those meets are public knowledge although they may not have a location as of yet, just dates.

What makes me crazy is not knowing when you compete on that given weekend until 2 weeks before! Our meets usually incur a 1 night hotel stay so I always have to book the weekend and then call back and cancel one night.

This drives me nuts too! I do the same, book 2 nights, then cancel. I don't know how else to do it, but I feel guilty about it, like somehow I'm not being fair to the Hotel. It was an even bigger struggle for me last year as my position was in management. I had to switch shifts with another manager in advance, as I worked Saturdays. So there were a few meets that fell the day after a 12 day work week. YUCK!

We have had our meet schedule for a couple months now. Keeping that in mind no meets are guarenteed until registered for and we dont know the meet time till the weekend before. That being said - we at lease know what weekends we have meets!

I would be very frustrated. It is so hard, especially when you have other family members to think about.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back