Parents Just wondering

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

bklyngymom

Proud Parent
My DD has just switched gyms and is now on the Pre Team for her new gym. Today there was some confusion about start times and I asked when they would havea meeting with parents to orientate everyone to gym policy and answer questions that parents may have. I was shocked when told that due to the fact that the Pre Team does not compete there is no meeting with parents no introduction of the coaches, just nothing. You can just ask questions when you feel like. I was a little put off by that to say the least. But I was just wondering if this is the norm.

Once our girls make it to team (L3 used to be preteam but now they do as many meets as everyone else) parents join the booster club. That is where they get a majority of their info.
There is a packet they get that gives most of the info. I would say the meeting would be more likely once she makes team.

Is there a Booster Club you could join? Also, team parents should be willing to answer questions as well. As long as the coaches & owner are open to you asking questions I would not be too worried about it yet.

We have never had a parents meeting in 8 years at this gym. YOu can ask the coaches anything you want, but you tend to learn fromother older parents. We have no booster club either.

I was going to say I don't think they have a meeting, but now that I think about it--I believe they DO have a meeting for level 4--our level 4s compete, but arent' considered part of the regular team (the parents don't join the booster club, the girls don't buy competition leos, etc.). We DO have regular meetings for the regular team--a yearly one that the HC/owners conduct and then a few throughout the year by the booster club.

The meeting typically goes over team policy, rules, etc. not introduction of coaches though.

My dd is a L7 and our gym has never had a parent meeting.(that I am aware of LOL) When they have information that they need to pass along they put a note in her box or send an Email. Our preteam (L2/3) don't compete and from I have seen it is run like a regular class.

In the three gym's I've been at we haven't had a pre-team meeting. We did have a meeting at the end of pre-team to give out info on L3 (where they start competing). Once on L3, parents MUST join the booster club. Our boosters meet about once per 6-8 weeks.

I don't know if it's the norm, but this was our experience. Try and walk softly until you get your feet firmly on the ground. We're in nyc btw

We had no meetings during the preteam years & only 1 meeting when DD was L4. That was an over view of what a meet was & what we needed to do & pay for. At our gym although our L4's go to meets, they still aren't considered "on the team" until L5. For L5-L10 we a have a booster club which meets 1x per month. But communication is still poor. I think many parents at our gym feel the communication process could use improvment. E-mail has helped a lot. That way you don't feel like you're interrupting anyone.

No team meetings here. We have an annual booster club meeting and the rest of our info is shared through email and our club website. We did have a brief (15 min) meeting a few weeks ago to discuss upcoming competitions, but it was primarily a chance for us to be introduced to 2 new sets of parents because our team grew!

nope - no team meetings until gymmie was on the team....preteam not considered part of team since they don't compete.

I would like to thank everyone for their responses. It seems that little communication is the norm until they are competing. Recent events at the gym cause me to think this may not be the best method. Its just very difficult for me (PTA VP) to understand not talking to the people who write the check for the training. I will walk softly but I will cary a big stick(checkbook) while monitoring the situation.

I would like to thank everyone for their responses. It seems that little communication is the norm until they are competing. Recent events at the gym cause me to think this may not be the best method. Its just very difficult for me (PTA VP) to understand not talking to the people who write the check for the training. I will walk softly but I will cary a big stick(checkbook) while monitoring the situation.

What kind of lack of communication are you talking about? If it's a matter of people not knowing when practice is--that's obviously bad! I don't think that parent meetings (which at our gym have notoriously low attendance--even when they're advertised as "mandatory") are necessarily the best solution for things like that.
Does your gym have team or pre-team mailboxes for the girls? That's what we have for passing out information. Plus our HCs like to distribute information via e-mail too.

here, you're going to need this

stress.jpg

What kind of lack of communication are you talking about? If it's a matter of people not knowing when practice is--that's obviously bad! I don't think that parent meetings (which at our gym have notoriously low attendance--even when they're advertised as "mandatory") are necessarily the best solution for things like that.
Does your gym have team or pre-team mailboxes for the girls? That's what we have for passing out information. Plus our HCs like to distribute information via e-mail too.

The communication is alacking when people do not know when practice is taking place ... and that has happened. There are no mailboxes for the girls Team or Pre-team. As well as Parent s have reveived conflicting information.

I honestly think gyms should have some sort of team packet that is given to girls paren't BEFORE they join team. There are so many things you don't find out until later, and it might help to have something to tell it all before.

For example, one of the girls on DDs team can't compete on Sundays. I guess they enroll her in the meet with a note that says, only enter if session will be on Saturday. She has missed 2 meets this season already and there are 3 left before States. She probably had no idea that they competed Sundays.

Who knows if it would work, but I think once a girl is on a gym's team track, they should get some info, they might not be able to commit to it and could try to get their child steered to something they can afford, commit to, etc.

Our gym does one formal "meeting" for all level 4's. After that, no meetings. We just talk personally with our coaches, schedule a private meeting if we feel one is necessary, or email. Our practice times/days are sent out in an email and posted on a bulletin board in the gym. Meets and all other info are also emailed and posted on this board.

My dd has been on pre-team for 6 months now and we have had no meetings. I don't think they really include us in until they get to L3. Most of the parents of the kids on the pre-team have started talking and developed friendships so it doesn't really seem like a big deal.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back