Kadee was tickled pink..she got her mill circle

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Deanna

Moderator/Proud Parent
Proud Parent
When I picked her up from gym last night..she comes running over. "Momma, Momma...I got my mill circle." She started training L3 in June and she has had trouble with it since. She has always gotten so close, but she just couldnt get it to the top of the bar. She said last night that she did it 4 times...lol. Coach Jay gave her a big hug and a high five..which made her day. One, because she has a little crush on him I think..lol. And two because another little girl got hers last week at practice..and had been rubbing it in Kadee's face the other two practices in between that she didnt have it yet. So, it made her feel really good all the way around.
I told her not to get upset if she loses it. It will happen off and on. That she will get it more and more each time until its second nature to her.

How exciting! That's a tricky skill to get, she should be very proud of herself. I love watching the itty bitty ones get new skills and tell their parents about them, they just have the cutest reactions. One of the best parts of being a coach in my opinion! Good work, Kadee!!

Yay! Way to conquer that evil mill circle. I hate watching that thing. It is something that lots of girls struggle on and off with even after they have it. :( Sounds like she really has the idea now though!

COngrats to Kadee! I for one am so glad that skill is in our rear view mirror! So many girls struggle with it! Soon she will have it mastered and not have to think about it any more!

Way to go Kadee!! That's such a frustrating skill. My daughter was first introduced to it over a year ago and she still can't do it. I think she still doesn't understand that she can't hook her front leg over the bar when she's starting to come back up. She's close, but just doesn't quite "get it." Does Kadee know what it was that finally made it click for her?

Thanks again everyone. I havent seen her do it, so Im not sure how "pretty" it is. I would imagine not very since she just got it all the way around for the first time. Kadee would do like someone else said (sorry dont remember who) that she would get stuck when she was almost there. I had heard the coach tell Kadee (when she was having trouble getting it around to the top) that she had to relax her grip, and let her hands slide around the bar. I guess Kadee would have a death grip on it and wouldnt let her hands slide around as her body went around. So by time she would get back to the top her hands had not moved much and her wrist were pretty much wrapped around the bar. Kadee always said she held on so tight because she was afraid she would fall off when she got upside down. I just asked her what she did differently the 4 times she made it than she did when she didnt. She said she just relaxed and trusted herself. (so in doing so maybe the death grip let up a little too..and she was able to get it around).
I will have to try and see if I can "view" her doing her mill circle to see if I can see what she is doing different. I do know that the times before I saw her she was hooking that front leg big time once she would get almost to the top..I mean she was SOOOOO close..but then she would fall back..and that front leg would hook so big that sometimes the foot would even wrap around the back of her other leg..lol. (guess she was really afraid of coming off of there..lol). I dont know. I try not to be "over involved" but sometimes I think Im a little under involved. I dont know..lol

Thanks again everyone. I havent seen her do it, so Im not sure how "pretty" it is. I would imagine not very since she just got it all the way around for the first time. Kadee would do like someone else said (sorry dont remember who) that she would get stuck when she was almost there. I had heard the coach tell Kadee (when she was having trouble getting it around to the top) that she had to relax her grip, and let her hands slide around the bar. I guess Kadee would have a death grip on it and wouldnt let her hands slide around as her body went around. So by time she would get back to the top her hands had not moved much and her wrist were pretty much wrapped around the bar. Kadee always said she held on so tight because she was afraid she would fall off when she got upside down. I just asked her what she did differently the 4 times she made it than she did when she didnt. She said she just relaxed and trusted herself. (so in doing so maybe the death grip let up a little too..and she was able to get it around).
I will have to try and see if I can "view" her doing her mill circle to see if I can see what she is doing different. I do know that the times before I saw her she was hooking that front leg big time once she would get almost to the top..I mean she was SOOOOO close..but then she would fall back..and that front leg would hook so big that sometimes the foot would even wrap around the back of her other leg..lol. (guess she was really afraid of coming off of there..lol). I dont know. I try not to be "over involved" but sometimes I think Im a little under involved. I dont know..lol

I'm pretty sure this is what my daughter is doing too. I took her to open gym last week and got some video of her trying one and just went back to watch it...sure enough, her hands barely move on the bar at all. I have a feeling it's for the same reason too, that she's too scared to loosen her grip. She'll get it eventually though I think...and if not, there's always level 5! :p

Congrats again to Kadee! That's a big skill to get (at least in my opinion)!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back