WAG Kaz or tsuk?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I believe it has to do with the way the gymnast twists off the vault. If you are a righty and twist right off the vault, it's a Kaz. If you are a righty and twist left off the vault, it's a Tsuk??

My brain can't quite grasp the differences. But I was puzzled when looking at the COP and the same vault would have 2 decriptions:
ie: Tsukahara str. w. 1/1 t. or Kasamatsu str.

It's not the direction of the twist but rather whether the direction is or isn't the same as the entry, as Amiandjim says. I really can't quite catch the difference when I am watching vault at a meet. My children have discussed this endlessly and determined that one would do Kas and the other Tsuk.

Reactions: sce
D has a great tsuk, but is training a kas now. I am sure they have a good reason for it...

He could...but didn't compete it. 2 years ago he had a double twisting tsuk to a mat in the pit (pre back injury).

I am sure there is a reason. lol. I just go with the flow!

Short version: if your 1/4-on or 1/2-on leads with your left hand and you twist left (or vice-versa), it's a Kaz. If your entry leads with your left hand and you twist right (or vice-versa), it's a twisting Tsuk.

Long answer:
A left-handed roundoff actually twists to the right. What this means is that when you do a left-handed entry and twist left, you're switching directions. Keep this in the back of your mind through the next part of this.
Now, in a Tsuk, you come off the table, square up towards the table, then perform a backward salto. To do a Tsuk with a 1/1, you square up towards the table and then do a back 1/1.
However, in a Kaz, since you're changing directions, you never square up towards the table; you turn the opposite way, square up facing away from the table, and do a forward salto. Add a 1/2 twist to the front salto, and it ends up looking like (and landing like) a Tsuk 1/1.
The Kaz, imo, is easier, because you only have to do a 3/4 twist after leaving the table, whereas in a Tsuk 1/1 you have to do a 5/4 twist.

@Geoffrey Taucer -- thanks for that description, very helpful.

Question re: the Kaz being easier. Wondering how difficult (or not) changing direction is? Seems like that would slow the twisting action?

@Geoffrey Taucer -- thanks for that description, very helpful.

Question re: the Kaz being easier. Wondering how difficult (or not) changing direction is? Seems like that would slow the twisting action?

It seems like it would, but it really doesn't. The impact on the table breaks up the two sections, so you're never actually switching directions while airborne. There's no real carry-over of twisting momentum from the preflight to the postflight

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back