WAG Keep young gymnasts safe with these tips from experts and an aspiring Dallas-area Oly

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gym safety (Not sure where you get pads and elbow braces)
Dr. Grant L. Jones and Dr. Brian R. Wolf of Stop Sports Injuries (stopsportsinjuries .org) say parents should make sure that coaches:
Have gymnasts wear safety gear, including wrist guards, hand grips, footwear, ankle or elbow braces, and pads.
Make first aid available at competitions and practices.
Inspect equipment to ensure it’s in good condition, including padded floors, secured mats under every apparatus and safety harnesses for learning difficult moves.
Insist on spotters when learning new skills.
\
Keep young gymnasts safe with these tips from experts and an aspiring Dallas-area Olympian | Dallas-Fort Worth Family Health News and Advice - Health News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Totally confusing article though, lots of references to the olympics and the "aspiring olympian", plus Nastia, McKayla et al- yet the gymnast in the article appears to be an Acro gymnast.

Wasn't written by anyone who knows anything about gymnastics!

The rest of the article looks pretty good though - watch for signs of stress injuries, be well-conditioned, get lots of sleep. That's all sound advice. Obviously not written by someone with a lot of experience in the gym though (don't practice more than 3x per week?).

I'd love to see the look on the coach's face if I brought DD in for practice padded head to toe. Might even get one of those sparring helmets for a little extra support.

i don't think it was the Docs. i think it was the inexperienced journalist. i see this all the time. for all we know, she could've mixed notes from hockey. i've seen it before.:)

I sent my comments to the journalist. She was unconcerned about the errors because she said the overall article was correct. Sheesh!

The author is clearly not a gymnast.
3 concerns:
1)from article : Make the dreamers sleep.
Abigail goes to bed by 7:30 except for the nights that practice ends at 8:30; she goes to bed right after practice on those nights ....and when does she do her homework???
2)
Abigail practices three times a week, which is about as much as kids should do.. find a gymnast above level 5 who practices 3 days a week, or less
3)
Have gymnasts wear safety gear, including wrist guards, hand grips, footwear, ankle or elbow braces, and pads. Why not add a helmet, too? we're gymnasts not skateboarders or hockey players.:p

3)
Have gymnasts wear safety gear, including wrist guards, hand grips, footwear, ankle or elbow braces, and pads. Why not add a helmet, too? we're gymnasts not skateboarders or hockey players.:p

Yes, those wrist guards will certainly help prevent spinal and head injuries.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back