Parents Keeping up with the Joneses?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We have everything mentionned above at home. Some of us sould call us crazy, don't really care about jugement calls other then if it's for safety. Our daughter dream about being an elite gymnast. But we dir not get everything so she can pull out big skills at home. We bought it so she could have fun. Training 4 hours sessions when you are 6/7/8 years old is hard. But mostly, they want to have fun also. My daughter,all she wants to do is practices artistic but she can't at the gym. Hours are there to train skills. So at home she watches youtube and discover new moves she sould replicate on floor or beam. We have 16 feet soft beam that we can' t get her off. If she wants to do thungs that are earned for a long time. No problem. We have a bar that she could do giants. With high ceiling, she plays and sit on it,hang on it,anything BUT hard training. We have a pit under it. No worries there. For our part ,it's the opposite. Me bought mats and everything needed so she could be safe playing gym at home. Not in the living room or outside on grass. Surely not everywhere. But at home. We have boundaries and we know it's safe. Also have a trampoline. She uses. But nothing new or scary unless we can spot her with the technique her coach give me. Also have a spring floor that we got the springs for free. No stress on the joints. I guess most of you think it's crazy. I Don't really stress about it. View attachment 6626View attachment 6627View attachment 6628

Dang! You could probably recoup some of the costs of the equipment by renting that room out as a party venue for toddlers and young kids! :)

We have everything mentionned above at home. Some of us sould call us crazy, don't really care about jugement calls other then if it's for safety. Our daughter dream about being an elite gymnast. But we dir not get everything so she can pull out big skills at home. We bought it so she could have fun. Training 4 hours sessions when you are 6/7/8 years old is hard. But mostly, they want to have fun also. My daughter,all she wants to do is practices artistic but she can't at the gym. Hours are there to train skills. So at home she watches youtube and discover new moves she sould replicate on floor or beam. We have 16 feet soft beam that we can' t get her off. If she wants to do thungs that are earned for a long time. No problem. We have a bar that she could do giants. With high ceiling, she plays and sit on it,hang on it,anything BUT hard training. We have a pit under it. No worries there. For our part ,it's the opposite. Me bought mats and everything needed so she could be safe playing gym at home. Not in the living room or outside on grass. Surely not everywhere. But at home. We have boundaries and we know it's safe. Also have a trampoline. She uses. But nothing new or scary unless we can spot her with the technique her coach give me. Also have a spring floor that we got the springs for free. No stress on the joints. I guess most of you think it's crazy. I Don't really stress about it. View attachment 6626View attachment 6627View attachment 6628
I think we just met the Joneses.

Dadgymdad, would you mind posting a picture of your pit? I am curious to see what a home pit looks like. Thanks

I feel like often (not in every case...so hopefully nobody gets bent out of shape about this comment) the kids who have lots of home equipment are either spoiled little brats or have parents that will pressure them so much that will burn out.

I am reiterating that this is not every kid that has home equipment, just my experience with many of them.

I have seen lots of kids with tons of home equipment over the years, and yes, I would guess the burnout rate is higher. It would be an interesting study for sure. I think when you have it, it becomes more likely that the parent will push the kiddo to practice.

When he was younger, I would always say that he wanted more, and he did. But all of that extra builds up on the body, and the likelihood of overuse injuries increases. Home is now a place of rest, recovery, fun, and family. Gymnastics is discussed, watched, etc, but not done in the home. He is a much happier gymnast because of this.

Now, because we live 45 minutes from his gym, there have been times in the winter where it is too snowy/icy up here to get to practice, and usually taht means the gym is hit to where it closes the next day. Then he will do some conditioning and stretching at home. But really, that is it.

There was a family at our gym years ago... They came from a club gym when the older girl was old L4 with OG and the younger girl was in advanced rec with YG. The next year, They had a birthday party at their house and invited some team girls.
It turned out that they have a full gym in their basement. OG came back, talking about the uneven bars... She wanted a set to work on her kips. NOPE!

I get frustrated with kids who are poor at making corrections and have equipment at home. Eample skill is the kip. You spend a lot of time in the gym trying to drill out a bad technique and spotting/shaping only to have to do the same thing the following week, because the kid felt like they were getting close so go home and try a bunch and go back to their bad habits.
Some kids do get skills a little quicker because of playing at home but it is often a trade off because the technique is not right and the habit takes a longer time to change. I don't mind floor beams as generally there are some benefits and not as hard to correct.

Again. This place as been put up with me looking at local ads every day to get equipment at the right price. My daughter as sold many different things she had to buy herself the flexroll. The spring floor was given to me. My daughter as aked gesrs for her last 3 b-day and x-mas. The bar was specially built for this room, it was x-mas gift from my dad ( he was a welder ). All of this is nothing more then a place for her to spare time and have fun. No serious training. Just fun. Bring a kid in a gym and tell them they can have fun. I can tell you they won't be doing kips or handstand. They would play, like normal kids. I am not offended in any way. But not all parents are crazy, i can tell you, at times, inwoukd rather hooe my daughter wouldn't be that serious about this. [emoji41]

It looks like a fun place to work out. With the TV, my friends and I could do a great Zumba or belly dancing class. I often think that an open gym would be fun for adults, so I would honestly enjoy having that room. I do love that you have big mats with high celings not cement floors and low beams.

Keep the pressure low and enjoy your space and when it's not needed, use it for something else, unless you already have an art studio and maybe a home theater . There are tons of different rooms I could put into a big, free house. I need to win the lottery.

We got a good deal on some mats (panel, Folding incline, and folding soft beam) on a BST as a safe place for my son to climb, jump, and be his klutzy self on that wasn't my glass coffee table. DD starting teaching herself rolls and handstands and such so we decided to put her in gymnastics which she loves. Now the mats are used for building forts and as a stage for singing and dancing performances. I can't imagine having a bar and doing legit skills at home. To each their own but I know I'm not qualified to be coaching or spotting. She can stretch at home and she likes to walk on the balance beam but that's about it.

My girls keep asking for bars at home but I refuse. I did get a low beam and that has been a good thing, because even the coach asked them to practice certain skills at home on it. But otherwise, I would not want to keep up with the Joneses because even while just playing around, they could injure themselves or develop poor technique.

It looks like a fun place to work out. With the TV, my friends and I could do a great Zumba or belly dancing class. I often think that an open gym would be fun for adults, so I would honestly enjoy having that room. I do love that you have big mats with high celings not cement floors and low beams.

I want the rope! I would like to see whether I can still climb the rope after 30+ years.

Keep the pressure low and enjoy your space and when it's not needed, use it for something else, unless you already have an art studio and maybe a home theater . There are tons of different rooms I could put into a big, free house. I need to win the lottery.

i'd love this for NE winters to occupy my 7yo son's energy levels!!! plus, hanging on that bar would be loads of fun. BUT.... my newly turned 10yo kid is gearing up for level 7 and a new program at the gym. last thing i want is her coming home and doing more gymnastics. i want playdates and experiences for her outside of gymnastics. at lvl 3 and 4, the hours weren't enough for her. at level 6, the hours were more to her liking and it's only going to be adding hours as she gets into the upper levels. at level 3/4 i'd totally have done this if i could, now as level 6/7 mom i'm thinking why the heck did i buy that kip bar for her. haha. didn't help her get her kip/improve any faster!

... my newly turned 10yo kid is gearing up for level 7 and a new program at the gym. ... i want playdates and experiences for her outside of gymnastics.

You are getting to the mid-upper optionals - if she is like most gymmies at these levels, gym becomes all-consuming (it has to be, given the skills they are doing) and you can remember those play dates and such fondly in the past; there won't be time for them in the future. Just keeping it real for you.

You are getting to the mid-upper optionals - if she is like most gymmies at these levels, gym becomes all-consuming (it has to be, given the skills they are doing) and you can remember those play dates and such fondly in the past; there won't be time for them in the future. Just keeping it real for you.
This why I'm glad our gym does 12 hours.

I say to each its own...everyone parents differently...if you want to buy equipment go ahead, if not that's fine too...there isn't a golden book on this topic ...everyone is kinda entitled to their own view on it...how do you feel about it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back