Off Topic Kids say the darndest things..lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Deanna

Moderator/Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Steve (DH): Kadee, do you want to play t-ball or soft pitch soft ball?
Kadee: Im really not certain, I'll have to give it some thought.
Steve: Alright baby, you think about it and get back to me.
Kadee: Yeah, okay Dad, I'll make sure to do that.
Bahahahaha

We are looking to find other things for her to do. Just to let her see there are other things besides gymnastics. Shes just 5, so we want her to explore different things. And no time like the present when her gymnastics isnt taking up the lions share of her free time.

She did come to me today and say she didn't think she wanted to play soft ball. But she didnt want to "hurt Daddy's feelings". I told her that it wouldnt hurt Daddy's feelings. That Daddy just asked her if she wanted to, and let her know that she could try other things if she wanted to.

Im looking for something for her to join in (of course only something she wants to do) to just get a taste of different things.

Once we get our tax returns Im going to get a Family Membership at our local Y. They have a pool, and some kids things (flag football, soccer..ect) that we could get her little brother (3 1/2) involved in in the future. But my main reason to want the Y over other gyms is the pool. Not only do they have a place for me to get back in the gym and start some yoga and pilates and stuff again..and try and get myself back to where Im as healthy as I can be. ( i have a neurological disease..had several spinal surgeries..cadaver bone, metal plate, screws..what have you in my neck..going to have to have it done again soon..the cadaver bone is crumbling). Due to my past surgeries I have some limited use of my arms, and im seeing more and more use disapear all the time..maybe if I can get myself stronger, and have more endurance..it might help?!
But Im off track here...I want the Y, one for price. 53 dollars a month for our whole family. But also because of the pool. Both of my kids LOVE to swim. They are both water babies. And HATE the colder months when we cant go out on the boat, beach it somewhere and swim. So that is something, that in a couple months she will be able to do.
We signed her up for Girl Scouts (Daisys) this fall, because she wanted to. Well her older sister (19yrs old, my step daugter from Steves first marriage) decided to be a troop leader. The year before she "helped" with a troop, but Kadee was too young to be a member then. So she became a troop leader and things just didnt work out. Between her working till 6:30 5 days a week, and not being able to find a steady place that would let her hold the meetings..it just did not pan out. They only had 2 meetings to date. They didnt get any of their "challenges" done. So no merit badges..they never got their uniforms..ect. She is just too young herself at this point and not organized enough to pull it off. She had the best of intentions, but it was too much. Much more than she realized I think going in to it. So that didnt work out, and its too late in the "season" to switch her to a different troop. The others have done things, learned things..ect, and she would be so far behind that she wouldnt know what was going on. So maybe next year with that one.

I also know she wants to be a cheerleader. Her gym offers cheerleading and power tumbling. But then for some reason I feel this urge to show her something "outside" of the gym. Plus I want to show her something thats not as high impact on her body. And I worry that the skills and form are different between gymnastics and cheer, and shes not really old enough to be able to seperate the two?

Maybe I shouldnt worry about this. But she has diabetes on both sides of her family. And I want to show her a healthy lifestyle. Shes very active, she loves fruits and veggies (not a big meat eater though), she loves milk, she drinks lots of water. She really is pretty good at making healthy food choices. But I want her to remain active. Doesnt have to be hard core active, just not sedentary (sp). Diabetes is something that could possibly be avoided if the right lifestyle is lived. And I know its not really an issue at this point (all cases in the family are adult onset..again lifestyle could have played a big part in these) but I want it to just be something that is ingrained in her. You know, this is just how it you do things kinda deal.

I know I have a tendacy to worry way to much, way to early. I always have all the "what ifs" going through my mind. I am no means asking for medical advice. So please dont misunderstand at as being that.

This post started out just to be a funny thing my daughter said, but once I got going I said alot more.

Sorry to always go on and on in my posts. But also a part of my disease is a mild learning disability. So I have a hard time moving things from my mind to here. I read it back and I feel im not explaining things enough or good enough so i explain more than it just so involved and complicated. Im sorry for that. Just overlook that part of my posts..lol. And obsorb the bones and the structure of it.

Okay, Im done. Thanks everyone for always being so understanding. Even if you dont really understand what Im saying..lmbo

Oh Deanna--kids DO say the darndest things don't they??? Kadee is soooo cute!!! I totally agree with you in getting the kids interested in some other things and the Y sounds like a GREAT idea!! I actually was thinking of joining a gym (or the Y) for getting in shape myself. The Y has great classes and other activities for kids as well.

If Kadee wants to do cheerleading, I would let her. Don't worry too much about the form issues at this point--she is just 5 and the perkiness and showmanship (not to mention learning coordination and choreography) that she will learn in cheer will totally help her with her showmanship and performance aspects of gymnastics when she starts competing.

I know that exposing my two kids (they are now almost 9 and 12) to different things when they were younger, has helped shape them into who they are today. I still continue to encourage them to try new things and get involved with new activities because it makes them more well-rounded and it is FUN!!!

Don't worry about the long post, it helps me procrastinate better ;). How cute about Kadee, I played softball for a summer when I was 10 because a friend was doing it and it just couldn't hold a candle to gymnastics. But I think the Y is a great place to start in terms of exposing her to lots of different things. And I love your approach to developing a healthy lifestyle for your children now, it's amazing how many parents don't think that's important, so good for you!
I never caught the swimming bug and only know the basics, but my brother was competitive swimmer for many years and now coaches at a Y. I think swimming lessons at the most basic level are important for all kids, but I also think competitive swimming is a great sport if she is really interested in it. And you're right, might as well let her explore all of her options now before one activity or another takes up all of her time.

How cute is she? :)

My Dd played soccer up until her L5 season. She loved playing soccer. She also tried baseball which was totally not her thing. LOL!! I am really glad that she had expereinces in other sports.

I hope Kadee finds something she loves (along with Gymnastics) while she still has the time to play other sports.

Bahahahahahaha I love Kadee!! "I'm really not certain" hahhahahaha she definitely has maturity beyond her years. If you want to get her involved in something other than gymnastics and she loves the water why not swimming or diving? Diving might be a good idea because it can feel like gymnastics (like the somesaults and stuff) but has water and is out of the gym. Or she could do dance or play an instrument like piano or do drama the options are endless!

I am really glad i was exposed to lots of things when i was a kid - i did Jazz, Ballet, debating, netball, t-ball, mod-ball, soft ball, netball, indoor hockey, learned the flute, gymnastics and swimming woah i've done a lot. :p

Last edited:
Kadee is too cute! And don't worry about your posts being too long! I enjoy reading your posts and your outlook on things. I myself can go on and on and on writing a post and then go back and erase the whole thing because I think it may not make sense or come across the right way. Then go back and leave a one sentence reply. LOL!

Keep posting the silly gym things! I can finally add one of my own. My little niece just turned two and takes mommy and me gymnastics. This weekend she got a crawl through tunnel for her birthday and one of the first things she did was make Dora The Exlplorer jump on top of it like it was a tumble tramp. I have a baby gymmie in the making.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back