Kip (ARGH!) wrist shifting?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I almost have my kip, but I just can't seem to quite get all the way to support, I think it's because I don't know how to shift my wrists; I'm totally confused about how to do that... I've heard you have to "almost peel off" but I don't know when this is supposed to happen? Do I jump them like in a tap swing or do I try to like slide them around the bar or something? Also I have trouble keeping my legs all the way to the bar; they kind of drift off, any tips for that? I've been doing a lot of leg lifts and holds at home.

Sorry this is a bit vague but it's hard to explain D:

What I've found is that the most common cause of the wrists not shifting is gripping too tightly. If you relax your grip, you will very likely regrip at ixactly the right time without even thinking about it (assuming you have the rest of the kip motion correct.

If you could post a video, I could probably help a lot more.

I've been having problems with that too, I just did it over and over and over and over until I got it, I don't know what happened. but try to think about doing a front hipcircle as soon as you start to get on top of the bar. that should make your wrists shift. as for the drifty legs, think about pulling up your pants. ( your coach has probably told you that already:D)
hope I helped!
gymgirlperfect10

:bars:
Gymnastics is life... the rest is just details.

The "pull up the pants" is good, but also make sure that the bar is at the top of your thigh at the completion of the kip. If the bar is still by your knees or at the bottom of your thigh, when you try to complete the kip, its hard to switch your wrists to the top of the bar. Think about pushing the bar down with a hollow body position and looking tword the floor on the other side of the bar when you finish the kip. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back