Kip Cast Handstands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

CamSeawind

I'm really bad at kip cast handstands and i need some help. My season is over now and i have then entire summer and a little more time to work on it. I've never been able to do one in my life3 and kinda need it for level 8 as i have to do a half pirouette.
  • I do a kip cast straddle handstand
  • i think my problem ins that i don't like leaning over the bar, i find it scary

When you do a straddle cast you don't really have to lean over the bar too much. Practice straddle press handstands (against a wall, if you have to), and then try to same motion in your cast. I think you have to press down really hard on the bar to help get your hips up.

Let me know if this works! I do a straight body cast but I'm thinking of trying straddle casting to see if I can cast higher. :)

I generally have my cast without the kip, i almost go to a handstand, i at least go higher.

I can't lean over the bar though, that is the most terrifying thing on the planet to me

i also think that my timing is wrong, i think that i start the cast to early out of my kip

Last edited by a moderator:
That might be a problem too. I had that problem and could never make a cast. Know since I wait longer out of my kip my cast is higher.

Okay, I'm going to have to make a few points here, so bear with me :)

-It is nearly impossible to make a deduction-free cast that goes to handstand without leaning. I've tried.

-Most people end their kip in a support position. This is wrong. You have to end in a piked position, with your chest leaned over the bar, shoulders shrugged up, and toes in front of the bar.

-The mistake that most people make on their straddle casts, is that they simply arch up to their handstands, just with their legs apart. This is wrong, and you will be counted for a straight cast with legs apart.

-The sequence for a good straddle cast goes like this:
~Lean over the bar, with toes in front of the bar, shoulders shrugged, and chest leaned over
~Cast nice and hollow to about horizontal
~Push down on the bar with a nice hollow upper back. Try to stay leaned over the bar
~When you push down, shove your butt up into the air while separating your legs into a straddle. The straddle doesn't need to be very large. Try to do this while staying hollow
~Push until your body is in handstand, THEN close your legs

I tried straddle cast handstands for months the wrong way. After I tried this technique, it took me two days to get it to handstand consistently and clean. Persistence pays off! Try to get a light spot for the first few times you do this. It is a bit harder, and you will need to be strong at first. But since you are close to handstand already, I think that you'll get there easily. Good luck!

-Lauren

Last edited:
Well thank you, i don't like leaning over the bar but i will try this. (Have any tips for this?) Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! :)

Well, I was pretty scared of leaning forwards for a while, for obvious reasons. So here's a few things that I find help a lot:

-Put your thumbs around the bar. You will feel and be more secure about leaning over. Also, this leads up to pirouettes and won't let you slip.

-Be hollow. This will take your eyes off the floor and let you think about something else.

-Something I tried were shove drills. Your coach usually helps you with them. You lean back onto your coaches hand, kind of off the bar, and then your coach pushes you on the back. You then lean over the bar until it seems scary far, and just pop your hips a little. You'd be surprised how high you go!

Good luck!

-Lauren

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back